Anyone using a TIVO with MC?

Is setup easy. How do you like it ?

Thanks

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH
I have 3 Tivos -- 2 Premieres, and one Series 3.

All 3 have "M" cable cards. The Premiere XL has 4 (!) tuners, the other Premier has 2 and the S3 has 2.

You have to have someone come out and install the card, at least in NH. They seem to have it down by now, they call a Metrocast only number, give them the card ID and send a signal and voila it's up and running.

In NH, they give you 2 cable cards free and then any after that is $1.95 a month.

mangurian

join:2006-09-02
East Lyme, CT

Icedcorn.......Re: Anyone using a TIVO with MC?

Did you go for the lifetime subscription or monthly ?

I take it the cable card plugs into the TIVO ?

How is the TIVO better than the Metrocast DVR ?

thanks,

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH
I have lifetime subscriptions on all of my TiVos.

Yes the cable card plugs right into the back of the Tivo, but you need a truck roll at least in NH to get it operational. I don't think you really need it because all the tech did was call a number and read the screen.

The TiVo interface is much better than the Metrocast DVR. You can do things like wishlists -- record anything that has "redsox" in it, etc.

With 2 or more Premieres you can watch a show on one tivo from another one.

You can use your iPhone or iPad as a remote. You can watch YouTube and Amazon on Demand (but not Prime yet ).

Tivo is releasing a new item next week (sept 12) that is called TivoStream that will let you watch anything on your Tivo box from your iPad/iPhone. I do this now with a Slingbox but it's great that Tivo has their own.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT
reply to mangurian

Re: Anyone using a TIVO with MC?

I second everything IcedCorn has said. I LOVE my Premier XL, I wouldn't be without it!

I would add that you can also use Android devices as remotes. But I bought a Slide Bluetooth remote, I think that's a better option.

mangurian

East Lyme, CT
reply to mangurian

TIVO ve MC DVR

Metrocast DVR compared to TIVO:
- No manual (not a biggie).
- ethernet port is deliberately non-functional, so no network.
- Can't add storage
- About 1/3 recording time of a TIVO
- No tablet/smartphone connectivity.
- Inferior playback control (FF/FR speeds)

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
reply to icedcorn

Re: Anyone using a TIVO with MC?

You do not HAVE to have someone Install the M Card. It is against FCC Rules now. You can do a self install

mangurian

East Lyme, CT

great......Re: Anyone using a TIVO with MC?

I now have a working MC DVR. First 2 units had problems. Third box was newer and is working fine. If it weren't for the disabled ethernet, inability to add an external drive, and the smaller HD, I would stick with it. I don't know what the cable companies are thinking. Every customer who goes to a TIVO box to get these extras costs them $16.99 a month.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH
Anyone try their Multi room DVR? Looks cool but seems insanely expensive. 3 rooms is like $45/mo...