spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Z Overlord

join:2012-08-30
Jamul, CA

[CA] Are these values acceptable for my modem (SB5101)

Click for full size
Click for full size
I am getting an unstable connection in online games, I am suspicious if my modem is being dumb, my ISP is Cox Communications, I live in California

Anon

@cox.net

Yes, out of spec. Get a new modem first to prove that it's your modem, and not a line problem and get a DOCSIS 3 modem like a Motorola SB6121 (cox likes those). The Motorola 5101 are considered old school nowdays, and just might be tired out.

mercutio215

join:2011-09-24
reply to Z Overlord

Your power level at -13.7db appears to be the issue that would be causing your problems. Could be an issue with that particular downstream channel or with the modem. Not sure how long you've had the modem, but replacing it might not necessarily fix the issue.

Z Overlord

Jamul, CA

said by mercutio215:

Your power level at -13.7db appears to be the issue that would be causing your problems. Could be an issue with that particular downstream channel or with the modem. Not sure how long you've had the modem, but replacing it might not necessarily fix the issue.

what would cause a problematic power level? bad cabling in the attic?

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Z Overlord

your down stream should be between +10 and -10 close to zero as possible and your upstream should be between 40-50

Z Overlord

Jamul, CA

1 edit

where is upstream mentioned in the modem?

and what do I do to fix these values? What are the possible causes

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

click the second pic thats the upstream.