spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

boopin

join:2011-08-25

Any plans for WatchESPN?

ESPN has decided to basically make ESPN3 obsolete in favor of their "WatchESPN" stuff. Basically all primetime/weekend events are now blacked out on ESPN3 making it pretty much worthless. Dan, do you know of any plans/discussions to make WOW a WatchESPN provider?

baess

join:2011-01-28

said by boopin:

do you know of any plans/discussions to make WOW a WatchESPN provider?

You mean online? They already are and have been for quite a while.

NuclearXP

join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI
reply to boopin

»www.wowway.com/help-support/cabl···-channel

Samus

@wideopenwest.com
reply to baess

Espn 3 is not watch espn. Wow supports espn 3 but not watch espn.

boopin

reply to baess

said by baess:

said by boopin:

do you know of any plans/discussions to make WOW a WatchESPN provider?

You mean online? They already are and have been for quite a while.

Yeah, like Samus said, ESPN3 =/= WatchESPN. WatchESPN lets you watch pretty much all of their networks online. ESPN3 has always had only certain content but it did have A LOT of the stuff that was being broadcast simultaneously on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU. Now, for the most part, or at least for the times that matter, it's going to be blacked out.

baess

1 edit
reply to boopin

The WatchESPN I know is an online service. And you asked if WOW has it, and they do.

»espn.go.com/watchespn/about?

Accessing your favorite live sports and shows from ESPN is now easier than ever with WatchESPN. WatchESPN brings you 24/7 live programming from your favorite ESPN Networks on your computer, mobile phone, and tablet.

The WatchESPN app and WatchESPN.com have you covered with live streaming access to the following ESPN networks, live events, and shows:

ESPN Networks
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPN3
ESPNU

AFAIK there is no WatchESPN TV channel so why would you request it?

boopin

reply to boopin

OK, I guess "technically" they have WatchESPN. But you can only watch ESPN3 with WOW. You can't watch any of the other networks.

Before, ESPN3 would carry stuff that aired on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. Now they have WatchESPN and they're all separate with ESPN3 being blacked out during all the important times.

I don't know how else to explain it to you, the only cable providers that truly carry WatchESPN right now, in its entirety, are BendBroadband, Bright House, Comcast, Midcontinent Communications, Time Warner and Verizon. No WOW. Which is why I'm wondering if there are any plans for WOW to join those companies in providing WatchESPN in its entirety. Not just the portion of it that's being slowly eliminated.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to baess

said by baess:

The WatchESPN I know is an online service. And you asked if WOW has it, and they do.

»espn.go.com/watchespn/about?

Accessing your favorite live sports and shows from ESPN is now easier than ever with WatchESPN. WatchESPN brings you 24/7 live programming from your favorite ESPN Networks on your computer, mobile phone, and tablet.

The WatchESPN app and WatchESPN.com have you covered with live streaming access to the following ESPN networks, live events, and shows:

ESPN Networks
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPN3
ESPNU

There is a difference between ESPN3 and WatchESPN, even ESPN acknowledges this by changing what ESPN3 broadcasts. I'm sure you already knew this, but just wanted to show off how "smart" you are.

NuclearXP

join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI
reply to baess

said by baess:

Because the app states to request the channel via your cable provider if you want access to it. I presume there is some partnership between WOW subscribers (since you have to verify your account to use the mobile app) and ESPN. If you know some better means for requesting this through WOW and can contribute a link rather than asking questions, I'm all ears.

qbwaggle

join:2012-05-31
Troy, MI
reply to boopin

Funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday. I'm surprised that so few providers have full access to watch ESPN (e.g. no DirecTV, no AT&T Uverse)... I thought WOW! was in the minority but I guess not.

I'd love it if WOW! reached an agreement with ESPN/WatchESPN. For now I have SlingBox but video quality tends to be better when it's straight from the source.

baess

2 edits
reply to mogamer

said by mogamer:

There is a difference between ESPN3 and WatchESPN, even ESPN acknowledges this by changing what ESPN3 broadcasts. I'm sure you already knew this, but just wanted to show off how "smart" you are.

He asked about WatchESPN. I have WatchESPN through WOW.

Apparently it is ESPN3 that is the real issue. I'm "smart" enough to understand that.

Part of the problem is I rarely went to that sight. I now see that there are little keys next to most everything and those programs can't be watched.

So would full access from WOW restore those?

Otherwise I don't really see a point to the site the way it is.

The FAQs made it a bit clearer. Because of the changes WatchESPN is pretty much useless unless WOW gets back in. I'm thinking they will, someone just didn't know about this change.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

said by baess:

said by mogamer:

He asked about WatchESPN. I have WatchESPN through WOW.

Apparently it is ESPN3 that is the real issue. I'm "smart" enough to understand that.

Part of the problem is I rarely went to that sight. I now see that there are little keys next to most everything and those programs can't be watched.

So would full access from WOW restore those?

Otherwise I don't really see a point to the site the way it is.

The FAQs made it a bit clearer. Because of the changes WatchESPN is pretty much useless unless WOW gets back in. I'm thinking they will, someone just didn't know about this change.

Yes, ESPN3 is a part of WatchESPN. But the question about WatchESPN was about WOW! getting the entire package and not about a tv channel. Which was pretty easy to understand if you've read about ESPN's recent actions. Thus your answer was just plain douchy.

boopin

reply to baess

said by baess:

Because of the changes WatchESPN is pretty much useless unless WOW gets back in. I'm thinking they will, someone just didn't know about this change.

Yep, that's really all I was pointing out. It's basically useless unless WOW re-affiliates themselves with WatchESPN instead of just ESPN3. And I wouldn't be surprised if your last sentence is correct. This ESPN3 stuff especially will only become very noticeable now with college football season kicking off. That's the reason I noticed it last night.

baess

reply to mogamer

said by mogamer:

Yes, ESPN3 is a part of WatchESPN. But the question about WatchESPN was about WOW! getting the entire package and not about a tv channel. Which was pretty easy to understand if you've read about ESPN's recent actions. Thus your answer was just plain douchy.

You are pretty rude. Someone linked to the WOW Request a Channel site. That's why I thought a channel was involved.