Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29

3 edits

[Info] Vonage Fees Increase Beginning September 24, 2012

quote:
s u p p o r t . v o n a g e . c o m

Regulatory, Compliance and Intellectual Property Fees

The Regulatory, Compliance and Intellectual Property Fee covers regulatory, legal, intellectual property and compliance-related expenses, including those related to customer privacy protection, anti-fraud protection, number portability and innovation, all of which enable our services to enhance your communication experience.

This is a taxable fee assessed monthly at $1.99 per voice line, fax line, Virtual Number, Toll Free number, and Softphone.

Beginning September 24, 2012, the Regulatory, Compliance and Intellectual Property Fee will increase from $1.99 to $2.99 per month. This increase will only apply to those calling plans and services that currently include this fee. You can sign in to your Online Account to determine if your calling plan includes this fee.

More @ »support.vonage.com/app/answers/d···a_id/979
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Hmm?

Not seeing that fee on my $9.99 for life plan

Thanks for that heads up

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

1 edit
reply to Gone Fishing

Edit I just called vonage and spoke to a rep and I just confirmed its all vonage lines this new rate increase so it looks like I am canceling vonage and moving my number to my wholesale voip service.

cork1958
Cork
Premium

Even if it's ALL lines, $17 is still a ton cheaper than Frontier's most basic line, so I'll still be happy ( somewhat? )

I know there are other voip services, but Vonage has worked flawlessly, so not messing with it.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

johneh

@rr.com
reply to Gone Fishing

Wow, glad I left Vonage for Nettalk a couple months ago. All these "fees" make Vonage too expensive compared to the competition.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to cork1958

I understand, BTDT with Vonage myself. But there ARE other options that do work just as well, with even more features (like call blocking by number).

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1
reply to Gone Fishing

When was the last time you looked ant ANY other utility bill??

My electric (Central Hudson), Cable (Time Warner),Cell phone (ATT) even my friggin garbage collection company increases "fees" regularly.

Vonage is a great deal.. A couple bucks does not change that
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

jhacker

join:2001-12-11
Peoria, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Actually, it's a couple of bucks here and a couple of bucks there. Now, my $9.99 a month service is going to be $19.42. That is almost DOUBLE the amount of service just in fees! I only have a landline for emergencies, and faxing. It looks like we will now get rid of it altogether, or try the new Magic Jack adapter.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

said by jhacker:

Actually, it's a couple of bucks here and a couple of bucks there. Now, my $9.99 a month service is going to be $19.42. That is almost DOUBLE the amount of service just in fees! I only have a landline for emergencies, and faxing. It looks like we will now get rid of it altogether, or try the new Magic Jack adapter.

like EVERY other utility
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

jhacker

Peoria, IL

There is NO utility that I pay where the fees DOUBLE the amount of the bill. This includes my cable bill, and even my cell phone bill! Even the fees tacked onto my cell phone total only about 20% additional.

dfrandin
Premium
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Gone Fishing

Looks another "SimplyBecauseWeCAN" fee... I've been on Vonage with the 300min plan for nearly a year, and this is the 2nd time they've raised the rate.. Think I may start looking for something better...

cork1958
Cork
Premium

I just officially received my e-mail on this a little bit ago.

That's EXACTLY what it sounds like is a "simply because we can" fee!!

It might make me mad that they can and did, but still MUCH cheaper than a regular landline and I'm not messing with any of these other rink a dink VoIP services, simply because I can!!
--
The Firefox alternative.

Foxbat121

join:2001-04-25
Herndon, VA
reply to Gone Fishing

Just googled an article about how to port your Vonage phone number to Google Voice:) That will be my next step.

Zero fee. Zero monthly charge. I deposited $10 2 years ago on my current Google Voice # for international calls and still $3 left today:)

As long as you don't need E911 service, this is the cheapest way to go. You can buy a special adapter (OBi 100/110) on Amazon to use Google Voice as regular phone service.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to cork1958

said by cork1958:

... I'm not messing with any of these other rink a dink VoIP services, simply because I can!!

Funny you should say that. I was with Vonage for years, had excellent service with them but finally got sick of the bills. I am now happier with my present provider than I ever was with Vonage, given the same excellent service but more flexibility.

I now block calls that I want to, by number or partial number, send some to the "Number Disconnected" SIT or to voice mail. I never have call issues that aren't related to my Internet service but many more plusses at a lower cost.

Keep your eyes and your mind open, there are some excellent alternatives. It's a big world.

broadband12

join:2012-10-30
reply to Gone Fishing

said by Gone Fishing:

quote:
s u p p o r t . v o n a g e . c o m
... will increase from $1.99 to $2.99 per month.

Note: This is a taxable fee assessed monthly at $2.99 per voice line, fax line, Virtual Number, Toll Free number, and Softphone.

I see they charged me the extra $1.00 for each of my Virtual phone#s. Not cool.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to jhacker

said by jhacker:

My $9.99 for life plan is now $18.16, which I'm still not complaining about.

Already tried that new MJ. Still nothing even remotely local for a number for me.
--
The Firefox alternative.

jhacker

Peoria, IL
reply to Gone Fishing

I finally cancelled my Vonage account 2 days ago. I'm going to try the new Magic Jack adapter to see if I like it. My need for it is very basic. It will be used only for emergencies, and maybe for faxing once a month.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to Gone Fishing

It is the middle of November, and my latest bill still does not have this $2.99 Regulatory, Compliance and Intellectual Property Fee showing on it.

Did Vonage back off from their plan to implement this fee, or did they just overlook my account (if so, I am not complaining)?

I do recall seeing the $1.99 fee before I changed my plan to the "BasicTalk" plan last month, but neither of the bills I have gotten for my current plan have had that fee. I wonder if the Regulatory, Compliance and Intellectual Property Fee only applies to accounts that were open when Vonage lost their patent infringement fights with AT&T and Verizon?
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
reply to Gone Fishing

I've been paying $22 for 4 years now and haven't seen any increase.

They're still cheaper than any other phone service here in B.C.........Shaw is basically the same but they want to change my number.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.