spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29

[Info] Important Changes to Microsoft Services Agreement and ...

quote:
Important Changes to Microsoft Services Agreement and Communication Preferences

We've updated the Microsoft Services Agreement, which governs many of our online services - including your Microsoft account and many of our online products and services for consumers, such as Hotmail, SkyDrive, Bing, MSN, Office.com, Windows Live Messenger, Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Movie Maker, Windows Mail Desktop, and Windows Writer. Please read over the new Microsoft Services Agreement here to familiarize yourself with the changes we've made.

The updated agreement will take effect on October 19, 2012. If you continue to use our services after October 19th, you agree to the terms of the new agreement or, of course you can cancel your service at any time.

We have modified the agreement to make it easier to read and understand, including using a question and answer format that we believe makes the terms much clearer. We also clarified how Microsoft uses your content to better protect consumers and improve our products, including aligning our usage to the way we're designing our cloud services to be highly integrated across many Microsoft products. We realize you may have personal conversations and store personal files using our products, and we want you to know that we prioritize your privacy.

Finally, we have added a binding arbitration clause and class action waiver that affects how disputes with Microsoft will be resolved in the United States.

Thank you for using Microsoft products and services!

Microsoft Services Agreement

Code of conduct

About Bing data suppliers

Updated August 27, 2012
Effective September 27, 2012

IF YOU LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES, SECTION 10 CONTAINS A BINDING ARBITRATION CLAUSE AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER. IT AFFECTS YOUR RIGHTS ABOUT HOW TO RESOLVE ANY DISPUTE WITH MICROSOFT. PLEASE READ IT.

More @ »windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···greement

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

Re: [Info] Important Changes to Microsoft Services Agreement and

I got an e-mail about this and discarded it as another phishing e-mail.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Gone Fishing
That's for the free windows live services, which no longer exist (now windows essentials: »www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN···ult.aspx) which don't seem to have that change.

Weird.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
its probaly a junk email, just ignore it.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
reply to Gone Fishing
It's real, I got it too. they just added the class action crap most big companies are adding now aday's.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
reply to Gone Fishing
Yeah, I got one as well. Believe it or not, this one really is from Microsoft.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Gone Fishing
There are two versions of this email, one of which is valid and the other is malicious:
»SCAM: Important Changes to Microsoft Services Agreement (Several pages of comments)

"There are actually 2 emails going around. One is a legitimate e-mail from Microsoft. The other appears to be taking advantage of Microsoft's notification of new Terms of Service and sending a mirror copy of the e-mail with bad links going to blsechtech.com."

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31
Thanks, KeysCapt...wasn't aware of that.
But I do know mine was legit. I'm always very suspicious of email from Microsoft, so I check headers etc. In fact, I didn't bother to click any links either. Just read the main content of the email, and that was enough for me to just dump the rest.
--

Gone Fishing
Premium

1 edit
reply to KeysCapt

Re: [Info] Important Changes to Microsoft Services Agreement...

Click for full size
said by KeysCapt:

There are two versions of this email, one of which is valid and the other is malicious:
»SCAM: Important Changes to Microsoft Services Agreement (Several pages of comments)

"There are actually 2 emails going around. One is a legitimate e-mail from Microsoft. The other appears to be taking advantage of Microsoft's notification of new Terms of Service and sending a mirror copy of the e-mail with bad links going to blsechtech.com."

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31
Somethings wrong. I just tried clicking on the links in your screenshot, and nothing happened. (Well, the screenshot itself gets bigger or smaller, but nothing else happens).

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
good news, if u migrated your hotmail to outlook.com interface, you can see a green shield beside the email in your inbox, this proves its the genuwine one from microsoft, not the hoax one. mine was genuwine after all. wow who woulda known
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31
Yeah, I just went directly to my hotmail account (even though I had already deleted it from my email client, it was saved on the server), and there was that wonderful green shield).
I still have an old Hotmail account which I rarely get email from these days, unless it's a newsletter I've specifically subscribed to from Microsoft.
But the "shield" is a nice touch. (As I said, I knew it was legit anyway).
But always watch out for those green shields that look like they've been painted on.
--

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Gone Fishing
Kosh Vorlon - MS MVP replied on August 31, 2012:

quote:
What's worse is that hovering over the link to check the "real" link (which was close to what DanPC noted) and just viewing it in preview was sufficient for a malware attack which was blocked and quarantined by MSE (Trojan:JS/BlacoleRef.AP) after I was alerted to perform a Clean. So it was not just a scam or spam or phishing effort, but a malicious and subtle malware attack!!

This is a very serious situation. All need to be considered dangerous and deleted and only the link you provided in your post used. I've no idea how to get the word out and prevent harm to a great many people. Not everyone is setup as secure as I am and will not thwart the attack.

Gone Fishing
Premium

Re: [Info] Important Changes to Microsoft Services Agreement ...

quote:
... a malware attack which was blocked and quarantined by MSE (Trojan:JS/BlacoleRef.AP) after I was alerted to perform a Clean....

Ditto!
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere