uniqs

Xlogic
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Conyers, GA

Xlogic

Premium Member

Is this possible guys?

I have a cousin that uses MAC mini but is interested in Linux. I have a lot of 8gb USB sticks and was wanting to put a MAC bootable distro on one send it to him, so all he would have to do is plugin the data stick and boot his machine, like a pendrive.

I'm running a PC is this possible?

Thanks
Mike

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe

I found this site: »geeknizer.com/create-boo ··· -drives/ But not sure if it's what you want. They DO mention something about making a boot able one for MAC, but you probably need access to a Mac to do it.

Here's another link: »www.pendrivelinux.com/ma ··· u-11-10/

Hope this helps somewhat.

Xlogic
Premium Member
Conyers, GA

Xlogic

Premium Member

Thanks Santa Fe I'll try both I have a lot of the flash drives so I can try everything until something works...lol.
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

1 edit

grunze510

If he has an older mac, then it'll be tricky to get a USB drive to boot, in which case you'll be better off burning a CD/DVD. In my experience on my mid-2007 iMac, I couldn't get a USB drive to boot unless I used the PLOP Boot Manager.

1) Put the ISO on your USB drive using the pendrivelinux installer as suggested above, since I think it gives you persistent storage.
2) Burn the PLOP Boot Manager to a CD.
3) Insert your USB drive.
4) Boot the CD by holding "C" when you start your computer, or by holding alt/option at startup, followed by selecting the "Windows" CD.
5) Select USB in PLOP's menu. (I don't know if I just had a bad burn, but the disc completely stops spinning after a bit and then freezes up, so be quick when PLOP loads up.)

I don't know what generation macs became friendly with booting USB drives, so as I said, you might be better off burning a DVD. And maybe give them a blank USB drive to save their stuff on.

EDIT: Of course, I forgot to give a link.

Xlogic
Premium Member
Conyers, GA

Xlogic

Premium Member

Thanks grunze510 I'll try that to...
Xlogic

Xlogic

Premium Member

Update his MAC mini would not boot from USB so had to send a few DVD's and a couple phone calls later he is up and running.

Thanks for the replies.