spc
uniqs
xDEFIANTx
join:2010-10-21
USA

xDEFIANTx to Michail

to Michail

Re: [WIN8] I miss Aero

I was a Windows XP hold out. I hated Vista, the changes the performance. then I hoped for Windows 7, only to be disappointed that it was Vista with fixes but still too different for me. I know that windows 8 is much like 7 but there is something about it that really works for me. I will never give up on XP as a gamer, I can't. But using 8 as my workstation...well I'm sold.

The Metro interface is more then a gimmick. I really like using it and with a few tweaks, I can dance between Metro and the desktop with ease.

And let me state For you Windows 7 guys, when I refused to give up XP... You aren't afraid of a little change are you? Come on get with the times...time to move on *smirk**wink*
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by xDEFIANTx:

I was a Windows XP hold out. I hated Vista, the changes the performance. then I hoped for Windows 7, only to be disappointed that it was Vista with fixes but still too different for me. I know that windows 8 is much like 7 but there is something about it that really works for me. I will never give up on XP as a gamer, I can't. But using 8 as my workstation...well I'm sold.

The Metro interface is more then a gimmick. I really like using it and with a few tweaks, I can dance between Metro and the desktop with ease.

And let me state For you Windows 7 guys, when I refused to give up XP... You aren't afraid of a little change are you? Come on get with the times...time to move on *smirk**wink*

Windows 7 is "too different" from XP but Windows 8 is not? Yeah, ok. On the point of gaming, XP has long since been kicked to the curb in that department due to the lack of DX10/11 support.

I'm not moving on from 7 in the same way that you didn't move on from XP. Don't be a hypocrite.
xDEFIANTx
USA

xDEFIANTx

said by Moffetts:

said by xDEFIANTx:

Windows 7 is "too different" from XP but Windows 8 is not? Yeah, ok. On the point of gaming, XP has long since been kicked to the curb in that department due to the lack of DX10/11 support.

I'm not moving on from 7 in the same way that you didn't move on from XP. Don't be a hypocrite.

"I know that windows 8 is much like 7 but there is something about it that really works for me."

Missed that part did you.

Try playing Thief on windows 7 or better yet, take a look at this:
»www.microsoft.com/window ··· ult.aspx
Notice the the games not working or supported by Windows 7? This isn't about performance, It's about compatibility. All the Old games from yesteryear designed for Windows XP will work best for that OS. Yes some may work just fine in 7, those that do will get that honor of being played in my workstation. Not ALL of them do... so you good sir can piss off.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by xDEFIANTx:

said by Moffetts:

said by xDEFIANTx:

"I know that windows 8 is much like 7 but there is something about it that really works for me."

Missed that part did you.

Try playing Thief on windows 7 or better yet, take a look at this:
»www.microsoft.com/window ··· ult.aspx
Notice the the games not working or supported by Windows 7? This isn't about performance, It's about compatibility. All the Old games from yesteryear designed for Windows XP will work best for that OS. Yes some may work just fine in 7, those that do will get that honor of being played in my workstation. Not ALL of them do... so you good sir can piss off.

No, I can read. I did see that, and it doesn't change my sentiments at all.

If you want to play games from yesteryear, go ahead. New ones, like BF3 as one example, straight up will not work in XP. While I really don't want to argue about the definition of "gamer" with you, the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of that word is not someone who plays a bunch of dusty old games. Before you prolapse your colon, I play a lot of old games too, but I use dosbox.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to xDEFIANTx

Premium Member

to xDEFIANTx
said by xDEFIANTx:

That's much like me. I hated Vista, was annoyed by 7, then along came 8, which has now lived on my laptop's hard drive for much much longer than either Vista or 7.

I'm not sure what it was. Maybe I ended up disabling the annoyances 8 carries over from Vista and 7 while I was exploring the new gui. Maybe it just works better. Maybe some combination of the two. Either way, it's the first Windows I've had a good first impression of since Windows 2000. (You see, initially, I hated XP too.) That cheap upgrade offer has got me considering getting it at release too, instead of waiting for the first service pack.
xDEFIANTx
USA

4 edits

xDEFIANTx

Thanks, I was beginning to think I was alone.

Now to be fair, I've had to add a couple tweaks to shore up some personal hangups. All in all it's very usable.

Skip Metro:»winaero.com/comment.php? ··· news.103
I block the Windows edge hot spots and boot directly to Desktop. I'd be ok to boot to metro but for some reason Skip Metro won't block the hot edges unless that option is checked. I have no use for the Charms Bar but even that is not a deal breaker. UPDATE: Metro Skip now blocks screen edge hot spots without booting directly to Desktop.

I switch between the Desktop and Metro menu by this:
»www.sevenforums.com/tuto ··· ram.html ---placed in the taskbar. I move my taskbar to the top of my screen(Mac like). The built in switcher does not follow, it stays in the bottom left corner. I hate having to bounce from top to bottom so this puts everything in one direction.

Unfortunately Classic Shell has become not useable because of Skip Metro. I use Classic Shell to add some easy access buttons. But even if I can't use it, I'm still getting around ok.

Even If Metro is a flop, It has at least got me using a modern OS.

Metro:
»s8.postimage.org/65jfw4x ··· etro.jpg
Desktop:
»s12.postimage.org/y026sb ··· ktop.jpg