share rss forum feed

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

Wow, what a boring car

My ride is in the shop getting new headers, x-pipe, cat back exhaust, motor mounts, clutch, flywheel, drive shaft, etc. Since it's been in the shop I've had a rental car. And man is it lame sauce.

It's a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu with a 4 cylinder. I press the pedal to the floor and a few minutes later the engine picks up speed, and after about 3 more minutes the car begins to move slowly. As red line approaches you will go from 1mph to 20mph, the car shift weirdly into first and a half. Then in a few more minutes the little gerbil jumps to 2nd and I then reach 23MPH. I've been able to get the car up to over 60MPH on downhill passes while being pushed by a garbage truck.

The steering sucks, the ride sucks, the handling sucks, the engine sucks, the transmission sucks, the interior sucks. The only good thing about the car is that I can get rid of it. Oh and it somehow gets equal mileage with a V8 Mustang with mods on the interstate even though it's a 4 banger..
--
Ich habe kein Mitleid - Me
You're a daisy if you do. - Doc Holliday
And as always, have nice day.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
The power to weight ratio sucks and makes for lousy mpg. I drove a late 200x Malibu - hated every second in the car.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile High
kudos:1
reply to mob
I had a 4 cyl. Malibu rental that sounds identical to yours while my Crown Vic was getting fixed after an accident. You are right, they're dogs. It would cruise at highway speeds, but it was painfully long getting there.

A bunch of years ago I had a Chrysler Pacifica rental that must have had a super small engine not offered to the general public. That thing was even slower. And crappy mileage, too.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Pacifica? Malibu?

Maybe this is some laid-back west-coasty vibe. What's the rush, man?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to mob
Maybe this explains why I have never seen a for sale model of this car with anything but the V6.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to mob
At my Chevy dealer we reuse to sell a 4 Cylinder car unless its a special order which most people don't do anyway since the V6 is more popular.

netsurfer1

join:2012-04-13
Atlanta, GA
reply to mob
I've got a Chrysler 300c that has has Hemi V-8 power. And I love this car so much!

Irun Man
Spartan up
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
reply to mob

you thought yours was bad

My Lexus IS was in for maintenance a few months back. They had three different models of loaners to choose, and I had the gumption to take home an HS250. Beautifully made and equipped to the gills, yet no power (hybrid, duh) and completely devoid of soul.

This model is so unpopular, Lexus sold so few of them nationwide in June 2012 you could count them on two hands!
--
I turned on my computer for this?

Insight6

join:2012-08-25
reply to CylonRed

Re: Wow, what a boring car

said by CylonRed:

The power to weight ratio sucks and makes for lousy mpg.

You nailed it. My old Ford Mustang GT 5.0 HO V8 with two valves per cylinder got 27 miles a gallon doing 75 MPH on the freeway and on cruise control. The car only weighed 3000 pounds and the high performance engine just didn't have to work that hard to move it. Cruising at 75 MPH the engine was only doing 1900 RPM. Heck the thing idled at 650 RPM.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mob
said by mob:

My ride is in the shop getting new headers, x-pipe, cat back exhaust, motor mounts, clutch, flywheel, drive shaft, etc. Since it's been in the shop I've had a rental car. And man is it lame sauce.

It's a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu with a 4 cylinder. I press the pedal to the floor and a few minutes later the engine picks up speed, and after about 3 more minutes the car begins to move slowly. As red line approaches you will go from 1mph to 20mph, the car shift weirdly into first and a half. Then in a few more minutes the little gerbil jumps to 2nd and I then reach 23MPH. I've been able to get the car up to over 60MPH on downhill passes while being pushed by a garbage truck.

The steering sucks, the ride sucks, the handling sucks, the engine sucks, the transmission sucks, the interior sucks. The only good thing about the car is that I can get rid of it. Oh and it somehow gets equal mileage with a V8 Mustang with mods on the interstate even though it's a 4 banger..

that is what you get with government motors.
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to mob
Reminds me of the Yaris I had when the car was in the shop. IIRC, it took about 60 miles until it managed to reach 65MPH.

Kidding aside, I had a Malibu a couple cars back, but it was a 3.1L V6, so it had some power. It was a dog in the city milage wise. It drank gas like Vince Young gives $1 bills at strip joints.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

mkt624

join:2000-11-09
Ardmore, OK
reply to mob
That is why I own a Pontiac G8 GT. With the 6.0 liter V8, I get just as good gas mileage on highway as most V6 cars get but with alot more power!

valinrace

join:2012-10-04
reply to mob
Its really a good thing I did not bought that car. I really made the right decision, geez.

valinrace

1 edit
reply to mob
sorry for the 3 consecutive messages guys, I thought it does not post, because my browser stopped.

valinrace

1 edit
reply to mob
by the way the car I bought is Hyundai Sonata instead of that car.

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to mob
OOOOO K. You go and rent a "boring" car and then come here to bitch about it?
Why didn't you rent a "fun" car to begin with?
--
mbsastronomy.com

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
I own one.

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to mob
Watch out for the power steering on those Malibu's. I had a 07 that had the power steering control module fail 4 times in 8 weeks. Brand new dealer parts every time. Chevy told me there was no known issue with it. If you google Chevy Malibu Power Steering look how many complaints come up.

Their customer service even had the guts to tell me that since I was not a "loyal gm customer" there was nothing they could do for me. I have owned 4 cars until that time and 3 were GM vehicles. I had to pay $1000 to get the power steering fixed the first time after it failed in my parking lot. The 2nd time I was on the interstate doing 65 when it decides to just stop working and pull to the left. It took all my strength to keep from hitting other cars.

I ended up having 4 new Power Steering Control Modules put in the car in 2 months. after the 4th went in I drove right to a Kia dealer and traided it in on a brand new 2012 Optima.

Chevy refuses to do a recall on the 07 model but they did on a bunch of models before 07 and after 07. I still have my reciepts and if there ever is a recal I will be filing my claim to get my money back plus 20% interest from Gubment motors.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

Reminds me of the Yaris I had when the car was in the shop. IIRC, it took about 60 miles until it managed to reach 65MPH.

Kidding aside, I had a Malibu a couple cars back, but it was a 3.1L V6, so it had some power. It was a dog in the city milage wise. It drank gas like Vince Young gives $1 bills at strip joints.

depends on your driving style. too I get 22MPG city 33MPG Highway with a 3.8L using premium fuel

Regular fuel only gets 16MPG city 23-25MPG highway

only cost $5 more per tank but well worth it.
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

2 recommendations

I get mileage improvements like that when one of Santa's reindeer is pulling my car.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.