Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

We'll never see this in the U.S.

The cable companies wield way to much power to allow HBO to offer themselves as a stand along service.

Comcast won't even allow HBO to offer their HBO2Go service on Roku (Comcast blocks it), for reasons I can't begin to fathom. Comcast does allow HBO2Go on XBox360, but Microsoft probably threw a pile of of money at Comcast to allow it.
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

I'm not sure how they would block that and would certainly question it.

Your second point may very well be correct - Microsoft throwing piles of cash at them. However, I would question this as well. Whom is Comcast to decide what appliances can be put on their network to gain access to internet material? I'm sure they think they can and should be paid for it but I would strongly disagree.

If you are Comcast user and subscribe to HBO, then you should be able to use any device that HBO2Go supports to access the material. Comcast should certainly have no say in the matter and them meddling in something like this should be a cause of concern for their users and the regulating bodies.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Skippy25:

If you are Comcast user and subscribe to HBO, then you should be able to use any device that HBO2Go supports to access the material. Comcast should certainly have no say in the matter and them meddling in something like this should be a cause of concern for their users and the regulating bodies.

You'd think that would be the case, but apparently HBO and cable companies have a licensing deal as to what devices HBO2Go is allowed to work on. Comcast decided to restrict it to portable devices (phones, tablets and laptops) and XBox360 (again likely in exchange for a pile of money from Microsoft).

Why is any of this legal? Likely because Comcast isn't doing the actual blocking, it's HBO which is doing the restricting (albeit at Comcast's request).

What's stupid is there's really no reason to do this, unless Comcast believes it will hurt cable box/card rentals.
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.