uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to Koil

Re: If Diablo 3 Was On Sale...

I'm still playing for now, though I seem to spend less game time each day actually playing, and more in the AH.

I agree that the Auction House is the problem. While I generally like having access to an AH in games, in this specific type of game, where pretty much the only reward is finding gear upgrades, it just doesn't work well. When everyone is buying good gear from the auction house (and in order to go beyond Act I Inferno, this is pretty much a requirement), it means that, rather than finding an upgrade every few runs, you'll be finding gear well below what you already have almost every time. If you actually find an upgrade once in a month from adventuring, you either haven't been using the AH effectively or you got a very lucky drop.

Add in the fact that, while they continue to increase the drop rate of rares, they've done nothing about the quality and, due to everyone having pretty good gear already from the AH, 99.9% of what you find is just vendor trash. It feels like a lot of the game is porting to a vendor to sell over and over again, with very little excitement about what you actually found. They did make Legendaries more desirable with the last patch but, given how rare they are (or how bad my luck is), having found one legendary (a worthless level 18 monk helm) in nearly 4k elite kills, this doesn't really help my excitement level or desire to keep playing.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium
join:2001-09-05
Boca Raton, FL

said by Zupe:

When everyone is buying good gear from the auction house (and in order to go beyond Act I Inferno, this is pretty much a requirement), it means that, rather than finding an upgrade every few runs, you'll be finding gear well below what you already have almost every time. If you actually find an upgrade once in a month from adventuring, you either haven't been using the AH effectively or you got a very lucky drop.

Where does the loot come from that is on the Auction House? Did they find it?
--
--

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

said by wapu See Profile
Where does the loot come from that is on the Auction House? Did they find it?

Presumably, somebody somewhere found it. The problem is that typically in these type of games, you can gear yourself through drops and reasonably expect to progress and find better gear. Without the input through the AH of the thousands/millions of people playing D3, it would be almost impossible to gear yourself well enough to progress into Inferno.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?