share rss forum feed

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: [BF3] EVGA card freezing? possible fix

Last time I played WoW, I was running the 304.48 Beta drivers and it ran perfect.

I've always ran Betas, I've never ever had a problem with any of them.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
For me WOW runs fine with 296 but if I run the windows experience index it crashes.

Which tells me some feature that the WEI checks is messed up in 296 and 301

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
BTW I had to downgrade the video driver to the 285 one in order for the WEI test to not error.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
WEI isn't that important. Try the 306 drivers, they've been performing flawlessly for me.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I don't care about the WEI score but the fact that it causes the a crash.

I figure if WEI is doing something its likely something a game might need to do at some point.

BTW I tried the 306, 296, 295, and finally 285.

the 285 was the only one that WEI didn't crash on, thus it was the most stable driver.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I contacted Nvidia about the issue.

They suggested it was the as shipped OC causing WEI to crash (not that I'm worried about WEI but I just use it as one of a few stress tests)

per Nvidia I lowered the Core and memory clock speeds to reference and WEI ran without error.

then as I was interested in at what point it would have the error I steeped the core back up till it failed, It managed 796core without crash, then I used a tool that installed with evga Precision to up the core voltage to 1.075v and was able to up the core to 797 and run WEI without crash.

I think I'll contact EVGA again as it IMO should have been able to run the as shipped clock speed without upping the voltage past what the latest firmware had.

and now with the higher voltage my UPS beeps far more often to indicate I'm using more power than it can provide in case of power failure. (I need a 2nd UPS because this one is currently powering the following, DL380G4 server, 3745 router, 2960G switch, 1242AG AP, Cable modem, Microcell, KVM, and my LCD Monitor)

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by DarkLogix:

I think I'll contact EVGA again as it IMO should have been able to run the as shipped clock speed without upping the voltage past what the latest firmware had.

That shouldn't take an RMA, you would think a custom card profile on either firmware or via Precision would be enough to make it steady.

Does it crash in games or in stress-testing (FURMARK) or just WEI? If just WEI, I'd blame WEI.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
so far just stress testing, though I haven't turned wow all the way to max yet.

3Dmark 2011 gives 1 error, might not be video related though, along the lines of system info service stopped respnding, before I upped the voltage I'd get that error about 6 times now just once.

currently with the voltage upped to 1.075v WEI doesn't crash anymore.

But IMO I should be able to maintain the factory OC without upping the voltage past the latest firmware setting.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Can you try the GPU stress-test part of OCCT?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I'll give that a try next time I have time.