join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to 49528867

Re: VZW Home Phone Connect

said by 49528867:

It ain’t 99.999 anymore that is for sure…

Some parts of the network are, but certainly not the entire thing ...

Typical HLR uptime is somewhere in the 99.99999 range or so.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
said by dennismurphy:

said by 49528867:

I think Bell tried to have five nines uptime at the customer premises. I don't know what the uptime of my wireless carrier is, but I can't remember the last time I was unable to make a phone call.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
In the olden days, "Five Nines" wasn't a try, it was reality. Up until deregulation, quality and customer service was of the utmost importance (contrary to what a lot of people on DSLR will say). If it took 3 hours of over-time or 1-1/2 day to restore a single customer, so be it. Breakup (divestiture) "slit the wrists" of that mindset, and TA96 was a 50 yard, 30-06, "headshot" to the idea that quality work was an essential part of providing good customer service.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to UHF
said by UHF:

said by dennismurphy:

said by 49528867:

I think Bell tried to have five nines uptime at the customer premises. I don't know what the uptime of my wireless carrier is, but I can't remember the last time I was unable to make a phone call.

I can. It was about 2 weeks out of every two months. That's how long it took Verizon to get the report and schedule the repair. Even when it was up the hum and static sometimes made hearing impossible. We went to home connect out of desperation and so far it's been great.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

In the olden days, "Five Nines" wasn't a try, it was reality. Up until deregulation, quality and customer service was of the utmost importance (contrary to what a lot of people on DSLR will say). If it took 3 hours of over-time or 1-1/2 day to restore a single customer, so be it. Breakup (divestiture) "slit the wrists" of that mindset, and TA96 was a 50 yard, 30-06, "headshot" to the idea that quality work was an essential part of providing good customer service.

That's absolutely right. My first wife and many of my classmates went to work for C&P out of high school. I assure you they didn't have the rabble that evolved when C&P became Bell Atlantic and then Verizon.