uniqs
Stevert
join:2001-10-23
Algonquin, IL

Stevert to plencnerb

to plencnerb

Re: Nebraska Zephyr Excursion

said by plencnerb:

The other thing I've been trying to figure out, but have not yet, is when IRM is going to move this from Union to Chicago before the excursion, as well as move it back to IRM afterwards.

Brian,
I read somewhere that the deadhead to CUS was going to be on Friday 09/21, but no idea what time. It will have a UP motor on the point for the ATC on the Geneva sub.

I don't have any info on it's return to IRM, although I'm sure it'll have a UP motor on the point for that move as well.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

I came across this page

»www.trainorders.com/disc ··· ,2854518

One of the comments made by "NebraskaZephyr" is below
quote:
The main difference is "you will need to add an ATC-equipped pilot loco to go from West Chicago to Western Ave."

So, going by this, it sounds like the Zephyr will be under its own power from Union, IL to West Chicago, IL, and then have a Pilot loco attached to the front for the rest of the trip.

However, knowing that the requirement for an ACT-Equipped pilot is a UP rule, I don't see why it would not be enforced for the trip between Union, IL and West Chicago, IL, as that is a UP line as well. In any case, even if it has a ATC-Equipped pilot, it still would be cool to see it rolling by.

Moving it the day before (9/21) sounds like a good bet to me as well, with the return from Chicago Union Station to Union IL being the Monday following the Excursion (9/24).

If I do come across more exact dates/times, I'll post them here.

Thanks,

--Brian
lstone19
join:2000-03-12
Roselle, IL

lstone19

said by plencnerb:

However, knowing that the requirement for an ACT-Equipped pilot is a UP rule, I don't see why it would not be enforced for the trip between Union, IL and West Chicago, IL, as that is a UP line as well.

The requirement only applies in ATC territory. The Belvedere branch (Union-West Chicago) is dark (unsignalled).
said by plencnerb:

Of course, with it leaving Chicago at 9 AM, it will probably be in Aurora around 10 or 10:30 AM.

By 10:00, it should be well west of Aurora. The schedule calls for 2:40 Chicago-Galesburg, comparable to scheduled Amtrak trains. Since those schedules allow 35 minutes for Chicago to Naperville, I'd expect it past Aurora between 9:35 and 9:40. Of course, that all assumes an on-time departure.