join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to Name Game

to Name Game

Re: WTF!!! Adobe Flash installing unwanted programs

Click for full size
Click for full size
I didn't try it, but ...

The XPI contains various version of the Flash DLL, that it will simply copy into your Profile/extensions/ directory.

And I assume once there, it provides some method to select which version ends up being run. (You can do that now yourself from Addons Manager by manually copying DLLs & then disabling those you don't want to be active.)

Older versions were all named alike, NPSWF32.dll, so if doing manually, you would need to differentiate between the namings. (Note that the plugin need not necessarily be named NPSWF32.dll, as NPSWF32_10.1.dll works just as well.)

Here, I've added a few of the more recent versions of Flash for you.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Click for full size
Yes..I understand they are .dll..for instance in google chrome we have Location: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.89\gcswf32.dll
which is part of this latest version..best way I can tell which versions is being used is going to youtube..let one start playing then right click on one and it tells you the version.

I guess one thing a user can do is get the lastest flash uninstaller from Adobe and hope it cleans all the old stuff out then install the new one.

»helpx.adobe.com/flash-pl ··· ows.html