how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

EskimoVoter

@suddenlink.net

what's the best modem w/ built-in WiFi for use on Suddenlink

I need to get a new cable modem. What's the best one
with built-in WiFi for use on Suddenlink?

Thanks!

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

I apologize for not answering the question you asked, but I'd strongly recommend against a combo modem/router/wifi unit. They're often lacking in features and firmware upgrades are left to the discretion of your provider. It's really not worth the 3-5W of power you'd save over running separate modem and router devices.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

said by Cabal:

I apologize for not answering the question you asked, but I'd strongly recommend against a combo modem/router/wifi unit. They're often lacking in features and firmware upgrades are left to the discretion of your provider. It's really not worth the 3-5W of power you'd save over running separate modem and router devices.

Completely agree with Cabal. Its not worth tryin to save space or power by using a all in one device for cable and wifi.. they usually have problems after a year not only that the speeds on it aren't near what you would be gettin with a separate setup.. Plus the cost of them are equal to that of a separate router and modem

Also on the wifi they usually only have b, g.. nothin else.. so if you wanted a n signal good luck its not happening

donotvote

@suddenlink.net

is there a cable modem that works best with Suddenlink's cable modem service? or are they all the same?

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2

I personally prefer the Motorola modems, would recommend a Doc3 version if you're looking to buy new.

But for the most part, if they are Docsis compliant, most if not all will work.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
reply to donotvote

I recently upgraded to a Zoom 5341J (supports 8 channels down, 4 channels up), for a reasonable $80. Works great on Suddenlink, our area is using 4 channels down, 1 up.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

mtrot

join:2006-03-26
Tyler, TX
reply to Cobra11M

said by Cobra11M:

said by Cabal:

Completely agree with Cabal. Its not worth tryin to save space or power by using a all in one device for cable and wifi.. they usually have problems after a year not only that the speeds on it aren't near what you would be gettin with a separate setup.. Plus the cost of them are equal to that of a separate router and modem

Also on the wifi they usually only have b, g.. nothin else.. so if you wanted a n signal good luck its not happening

Hmm...my parents in Houston have the Xfinity(Comcast) tele-modem and they have blazing fast internet. I have no idea what modem it is. I get speed test results of around 25mbps via wireless G on theirs!