Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nedriv

join:2006-08-07
Somerset, CA

[HN9000] Satellite Internet Comparison Matrix

Click for full size
I have created a matrix that compares my current HN plan to an equivalent GEN4 and Exede plan.

I compared Costs, Speeds, and features. My info is based on the Exede and Gen4 websites, and ALSO based on info provided by HN employees Sara and Patrick on the Hughesnet Community website.

I thought I would post it here too, since there are some folks on DSL Reports that may not frequent the HN Community site.

Again, this comparison is based on MY Perspective as a current Hughesnet customer.

The data is accurate to the best of my knowledge as of 08/30/2012.

Click on the chart above to view clearer image.
--
HN9000 /

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1
Footnote - When Fapped on Exede, one becomes Un-Fapped during Late Night Free Zone

nedriv

Somerset, CA

1 edit
said by DrStrangLov:

Footnote - When Fapped on Exede, one becomes Un-Fapped during Late Night Free Zone

I think that is true for all three plans. Although, with Gen4, during overnight hours, you are at full speed until your Bonus Bytes are used up.
Essentially, there's no difference in benefit so I didn't identify this specifically
--
HN9000 /

c0rr0sive88

@direcway.com
I think Sara or Pat said that once you run out of bonus bytes at night, it starts to eat your any-time bytes. So technically, you never get throttled at night till you use up 100% of your allowance.

nedriv

Somerset, CA
said by c0rr0sive88 :

I think Sara or Pat said that once you run out of bonus bytes at night, it starts to eat your any-time bytes. So technically, you never get throttled at night till you use up 100% of your allowance.

Yeah, Corrosive, you're correct. I didn't state that very clearly. Thanks for the help.
--
HN9000 /

Iowa Cowboy

join:2012-08-16
Monticello, IA
hold the phone, are you telling me that after you run out of your bonus bytes they start taking it from your anytime bytes, but will not allow you to transfer your bonus bytes to anytime???? that's BS

nedriv

Somerset, CA
Yes, Iowa Cowboy, that is what Hughesnet employee Sara says @ »community.myhughesnet.com/hughes···question

Look at the "Official Response" from Sara.
--
HN9000 /

Iowa Cowboy

Monticello, IA
oh screw that crap, they can shove their new satellite

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL
reply to Iowa Cowboy
said by Iowa Cowboy:

hold the phone, are you telling me that after you run out of your bonus bytes they start taking it from your anytime bytes, but will not allow you to transfer your bonus bytes to anytime???? that's BS

From a bandwidth management point of view, I'm not sure that there is any other way for Hughes to have done it. The goal is to encourage users to shift bandwidth demand to off-peak hours when there is minimal demand for bandwidth. If they had set it up so that the "bonus bytes" could be transferred to be used anytime, that would just be encouraging people to consume bandwidth at times when demand for bandwidth is high and when that bandwidth is already stretched thin.

Further, if bandwidth could be transferred in both directions between the anytime bytes and the bonus bytes, that would, in effect, be the same thing as if they had set it up with just 30 GB of anytime bytes and made no distinction whatever between overnight usage and peak time usage.

Regardless of whether some would like it to be different, the economic realities of providing internet access via satellite are such that the supply of available bandwidth is always going to be tight. Until a few years ago, there was no such thing as a FAP-free time, bonus bytes, etc. On forums like this one, some of us actually suggested the idea of allowing additional bandwidth usage during non-peak hours. Whether it was because of those suggestions or not, Hughes did respond with the FAP-free time, and they do deserve some credit for trying to find a way to give customers the opportunity to have access to additional bandwidth. But, unless you are willing to pay a lot more per month, you are likely to ever see the ability to transfer bandwidth usage from the overnight time to peak usage times.

janedeaux

join:2012-02-15
Yazoo City, MS
reply to nedriv
I am not electronically literate, so I need some help here please. According to the chart I have 72 GB monthly allowance with my 9000, but I will only have 30 GB monthly with gen4. That makes no sense, less for more money. Granted its faster, but...........

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL
said by janedeaux:

I am not electronically literate, so I need some help here please. According to the chart I have 72 GB monthly allowance with my 9000, but I will only have 30 GB monthly with gen4. That makes no sense, less for more money. Granted its faster, but...........

How are you figuring that you have 72 GB monthly allowance with your 9000 system? Which service plan is that with?

Iowa Cowboy

Monticello, IA
I would assume he has the pro plan and he is referring to what he can use during the free time from 2-6 am and the possible download he can do during that time

janedeaux

join:2012-02-15
Yazoo City, MS
reply to One More Too
I am going by the chart above (total monthly download capacity, if all used) I've had my plan so long, I don't know what it is. I have 525 plan refill amt (1050 max download bank)

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to nedriv
My estimates show that you can move a lot more data on Exede 12 during the Late Night Free Zone than 300GB per month, although I could have made a mistake. Is the 300GB per month assuming a constant stream of 12mbps for 5 hours a day for 30 days?

nedriv

Somerset, CA

1 edit
I would ask you to read the Question/Feature comments on Line 1, 12 & 13.

When I put the matrix together, I made VERY conservative ESTIMATES (Line 12 & 13) of the amount of data one could download during the overnight download periods for my current HN9000 service and the Exede 12 service so I could compare to the FIXED amount of Gen4 Bonus Bytes.

The "TOTAL MONTHLY DOWNLOAD CAPACITY (Estimated if all used)" numbers are the SUM Line 1 and 13. The operative Keywords are "If All Used", meaning you use the overnight download capacity to at least the level of my conservative estimates.

Again, this matrix was for my personal use to evaluate the value to me of the Gen4 and Exede12 plans versus my current HN9000 Pro plan capabilities. I uploaded it thinking it might be useful to others in my SAME SITUATION.

Sorry if I confused any of you. I was hoping the matrix was self explanatory with all the comments I included in the Question/Feature column. I obviously failed at my explanations.
--
HN9000 /

nedriv

Somerset, CA
reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

My estimates show that you can move a lot more data on Exede 12 during the Late Night Free Zone than 300GB per month, although I could have made a mistake. Is the 300GB per month assuming a constant stream of 12mbps for 5 hours a day for 30 days?

No, if you read line 13, it tells you what my assumption was.

I agree you are probably correct in your statement about downloading more data than my estimates. My estimates were very conservative. I didn't use advertised speeds because NO ONE ever gets the advertised speeds once the satellite bandwidth is oversold by Hughes or Viasat.

If I use your formula, then the Gen4 plan is even WORSE than I show relative to download performance when compared to Exede12.
--
HN9000 /

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1
reply to nedriv
Another Footnote - Exede rep has indicated that fapped speed is 256 kbps here: »www.wildblueworld.com/forum/show···count=20

"... After an additional .5 GB of use, the speed will be slowed to 128 kbps"

But, "normal speeds during the Late Night Free Zone" when fapped.

monicakm

join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX
reply to nedriv
Wow, I REALLY wish you hadn't posted this! I figured out a couple months ago that I'd be better off staying where I am. Now everyone is going to rethink the jump to Gen4...so much for a less crowded satellite
My download needs are light...I'm 3 hours hours till allowance refill and have 96% remaining. That's fairly typical unless I'm YouTubing. Don't know about the rest of you but in these times where I'm trying to reduce my bills/spending, paying $20 a month more isn't an option.