Re: frontier bonding adsl 2 + vdsl

One way distance
NekoSaur
join:2011-08-03
Jackson, MI

NekoSaur

Click for full size
Click for full size
Got it installed today! Made a post on the "Michigan install" thread.
The 12Mbps "ultra" service was in fact a bonded ADSL2+ solution. So far so good - works really well.

Stats included for your perusal
staregazer
join:2006-12-15

staregazer

I wonder when it will be added to other areas, why they are not doing it everywhere yet and if it is dependent on the DSLAM installed. They just put the DSLAM's up here a year ago and we get 5-6 MB and they are fiber fed. I wonder if those will be capable of receiving it. All they have to do is connect you into a second ethernet port and give you a bonded modem isn't it?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

The DSLAMs need to be ADSL2/ADSL2+ units that support bonding natively. Otherwise Frontier will have to use other techniques to bond the connections (MLPPP, etc). In legacy areas such as what I come out of, the BRAS or DSLAM would most likely need to be replaced before any such upgrades can be made, but it all depends on the equipment and it's age. VPN bonding is an option but that is additional overhead against the network and on the user's router.

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

so does any one know if the people like me thats modem set to adsl NOT adsl2+ will get upgrade where we can get the full 3mbps instead 1.3mbps to 1.1mbps or will we not get anything frontier been here for like 5 or 6 years know the high speed been here for about 2 or 3 years know
cool88

cool88

Anon

here what i get should i beable to get more than 1.1 to 1.3mbps i should beable to get 3or6mbps or what should i beable to get and is my line mode set to the old ADSL or is it ADSL2+

Transceiver Statistics
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1344 192
Margin (dB) 30.3 31.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 22.5 12.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.8 11.9

jpgr
WAR
join:2011-08-18
Clyde, OH

jpgr

you should be able to get way faster speeds you need to email your regional manager or upgrade your speed tier !
jpgr

jpgr to cool88

to cool88
you should get at least 5m down

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

i was told i will get 3mbps i have never seen the 3mbps since i have had frontier
cool88

cool88 to jpgr

Anon

to jpgr
like should the modem like reset to the speed that i was told i would get if i trun it off
jpgr
WAR
Clyde, OH

jpgr to NekoSaur

to NekoSaur
see Frontier keeps there word it started off rough but it coming in smooth I heard copper technology is getting alot more advance more then any other in the world . Watch in 10 years all us DSL user will think of how slow we started and how fast our speeds have gottin just like dial up !

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

so is my line like great or what???
cool88

cool88 to jpgr

Anon

to jpgr
but do you think i could get the 6mbps if it was in my area
Expand your moderator at work
Action2
join:2010-06-29
Champaign, IL

Action2 to NekoSaur

to NekoSaur

Re: frontier bonding adsl 2 + vdsl

I got my install a day early, I'm all hooked up but I can't seem to log in to the Comtrend nexuslink 5631 modem.

It uses the 192.168.254.254 address but I can't seem to find a working User/Pass combo.

Any ideas what would it could be?
NekoSaur
Jackson, MI

NekoSaur

My installer had the same issue. It took a phone escalation to a higher tier Frontier agent to finally find the answer!

IP (as you stated) is 192.168.254.254
Username : admin
Password : root

Amazing that this information does not ship with the router, huh?

On a side note - this Comtrend router is pretty crappy. It serves up pages very slowly and the wifi is 802.11g only. Wired Ethernet is only 10/100.
I'm not expecting miracles here, but you can get much better routing equiptment for pretty cheap.

In my install I turned off the wireless, changed the router IP to 192.168.0.1 (easier to remember) and set it up to act as a DHCP for my Apple AirPort Extreme.

MUCH faster page loads doing it this way. Takes a big load off of the Comtrend, which can't seem to handle it well on its own.

As an aside - leave the Frotier DNS server setting ALONE. I was getting terrible speeds (3-5Mbps max) after setting the DNS servers to Google / OpenDNS. I don't know why, but Frontier's DNS servers allow me to download at 10-11Mbps if I leave them as is. Weird.

Hope this helps!

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by NekoSaur:

As an aside - leave the Frotier DNS server setting ALONE. I was getting terrible speeds (3-5Mbps max) after setting the DNS servers to Google / OpenDNS. I don't know why, but Frontier's DNS servers allow me to download at 10-11Mbps if I leave them as is. Weird.

Hope this helps!

Probably due to the way the DNS servers point to caching servers. With Frontier's you're probably getting ones closer to the edge or on specific links set up for such use. I use Level3 DNS on my Frontier line and I don't see speed issues, but my connection has no choice but to go to Virginia anyways for data. I don't see speed issues and DNS lookups are actually a bit quicker!
Action2
join:2010-06-29
Champaign, IL

Action2 to NekoSaur

to NekoSaur
Thanks it worked. It is surprising how hard it is to find this information.

It seems we have slightly different versions of the Comtrend or maybe the firmware but I have attached the statistics as a comparison.

I'm not sure what they did, but my latency is lower with the bonded setup compared to just a single ADSL line.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

They may have moved you to a FastPath Profile. Your Interleaver depth is practically nothing and you show no delay from interleaving if those are correct.

Frontier may also have you on some newer, faster circuits or networks dedicated for the bonded setups. That may be worthwhile to look into if we don't get any official confirmation.
NekoSaur
Jackson, MI

NekoSaur to Action2

to Action2
Great to hear - good speeds!
I had the same thing happen with my latency as well. With a single DSL line I would never get below 50ms. With a bonded setup I am getting between 18-30ms.

Anyone care to explain why this would be? Does having row physical lines give a measurable advantage?
jpgr
WAR
Clyde, OH

jpgr to cool88

to cool88
srry been gone for a while . and yes you should be able to get above 3 megs just call and upgrade !

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

i pay for 3mbps and i think frontier is getting ready to bring the 12/2 and the 6/1 plans out to me so i am ready plus DOES ANYONE HAVE THE 6mbps plan
cool88

cool88

Anon

so since i have a Line Attenuation (dB) 22.5 12.0 i am close to the CO or dslam and if VDSL get install around here i could get it and if only adsl2+ bonded i should beable to get the full 12/2 plan or beable to get the full 6/1 plan
jpgr
WAR
Clyde, OH

jpgr

Im not sure but I beleive anything less then 10,000 feet can get vdsl or maybe it was bonded DSL