spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mack_NetNoob

@bell.ca

Can I use my own modem/router with Bell Fibe 25?

The Sagemcom F@ST 2864 is giving me whole loads of trouble with it being unreliable with constant data streams (It crashes and restarts while I'm watching Livestream or on Skype) and the wireless signal jumps all over the house.

Is there not a way to just use my own router/modem combination device instead of the Sagem? If so, what would you recommend?

jamend

join:2008-03-27
Montreal, QC

I tried my SpeedTouch 516 which is a pretty well known ADSL2+ modem, but no luck. It needs to be a VDSL2 modem which is not as easy to find.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to Mack_NetNoob

You need to find a compatible VDSL2 modem, I beleive a few on teksavvy forum found a Zyxel modem or something like that.

You could also bridge with your own router.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to Mack_NetNoob

You may be experiencing the same trouble that others have spoken of: »[Internet] Just me experiencing periodic loss of service? See if a different profile will help the "crashes and restarts"...ask the direct forum to help. As for your wireless situation, there is nothing wrong with turning off the wireless on the Sagemcom (hold middle button for 10 seconds) and put your router behind it with wireless enabled.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to kovy

said by kovy:

You need to find a compatible VDSL2 modem, I beleive a few on teksavvy forum found a Zyxel modem or something like that.

It's the ZyXel VSG 1432 it's a VDSL modem and it should work without any issues for you.

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada

How much is it and where can you purchase one?

kovy

join:2009-03-26
reply to Mack_NetNoob

I think you need to be careful choosing the right chipset depending on the SLAM you're connected... for the rest I don't know where to get one.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit
reply to Glen1

said by Glen1:

How much is it and where can you purchase one?

It used to be sold at a ShopRBC here in Ottawa but I'm no longer able to find it on their website.

TekSavvy sells it for $130, not sure if you would need to be a customer of theirs to purchase it from them.

freejazz_RdJ

join:2009-03-10
kudos:1
reply to Mack_NetNoob

If you already have a router, I believe it is possible to disable the router portion of the sagemcom device and use it in bridge mode with your own more capable router.

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada

The Sagemcom is in bridge mode when it is in "factory default" setting...

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to kovy

said by kovy:

I think you need to be careful choosing the right chipset depending on the SLAM you're connected... for the rest I don't know where to get one.

I'm guessing this modem works with the Lucent OSLAM? Any idea if there is a modem that works with the Alcatel 7330?
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.