Search similar:

uniqs

Barnapus
@sbcglobal.net

Barnapus

Anon

Java 7 update7 has security vulnerability

»www.computerworld.com/s/ ··· _content

Someone want to explain it in layman's terms ?

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 edit

jabarnut

Premium Member

Well, in laymans terms, it means all of us who scrambled to update to Java 7 Update 7 are still vulnerable.
And it also means the Oracle boys won't get a long holiday weekend after all. (I hope). They don't deserve one anyway.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

If they are hourly, they might get holiday pay, but they are probably salaried.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Barnapus

Premium Member

to Barnapus
In the article, they say if you don't need Java, uninstall it. But, how does the average person know if they need it or not? What's not going to work on a web page (or a program) if Java is removed? And is there any alert that would tell the user that Java is required in a particular instance?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey

Premium Member

Well, if you try to run something at a website and it doesn't work, then you have to see what is disabled. Usually it's flash, but, for example, Secunia.com uses Java for the OSI (Online Software Inspector). Here at dslreports.com, the Java speed test (that's kind of obvious) uses Java. I have only run into a few other places that use Java. I recall a live nest cam (either Peregrine Falcon or Bald Eagle) that ran Java, but they changed that to some special viewing software.

In many cases, the site will report the error and ask you to check whether the Java runtime is installed.
MomOfARocker
join:2009-06-07
Canada

1 recommendation

MomOfARocker to DownTheShore

to DownTheShore
I know that if I want to play my favorite games at Pogo.com I need to have Java installed and Java 7 at that for the two games I play almost exclusively. I normally play Backgammon and Euchre and back in August Pogo forced us to upgrade to Java 7 in order to continue playing those two particular games.

Drunkula
Premium Member
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX

Drunkula to Barnapus

Premium Member

to Barnapus
What is up with Java lately? I was never a big fan of it - and maybe less so now than ever.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 recommendation

jabarnut

Premium Member

said by Drunkula:

What is up with Java lately?

It's not so much "lately". Their change logs for bug fixes and vulnerabilities have been the size of encyclopedias almost as far back as I can remember.
And they best get their butts in gear with this latest one. (Or several of the latest ones).

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

SSL certificate for www.java.com has expired yesterday.
»www.sslshopper.com/ssl-c ··· java.com

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

Pentangle

Premium Member

Disabled Java in my browser (Fx) when the latest vulnerability surfaced and I haven't really noticed the absence. I'd uninstall it completely if it wasn't needed for LibreOffice. Uninstalled Java 7 Update 7 and reinstalled Java 6 Update 35 as recommended by Michael Horowitz here »blogs.computerworld.com/ ··· ersion-6

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 edit

Dustyn to Barnapus

Premium Member

to Barnapus
As an interesting side note: »Java v.7 upd. 7 build 1.7.0_07-b11
A new build was quietly released.

PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

1 recommendation

PrntRhd to Barnapus

Premium Member

to Barnapus
The new version still has vulnerabilities, but NoScript seems to still protect both before and after the new version.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Barnapus

Premium Member

to Barnapus
I got rid of mine since I can't get it to work (see »forums.oracle.com/forums ··· =2435673 ) and rarely use Java. If I do need it, then I will reinstall it and use 64-bit IE8 or another Windows account.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

1 edit

Dustyn to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd
n/m