Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA

Re: Electrical issue question

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Heres some pics

looks like the 1ton actually should be on a double pole 15amp, I hadn't looked at the lable since it was installed.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

You aren't worried about the starting amps. That's a non-factor. Load calc uses the running amps, which is going to be closer to min circuit ampacity. You use the RLA of the compressor + the FLA of the fan. See why a 200A service might be overkill now?

BTW, your existing underground service wire size is probably 100 or 125A. It isn't 200A.

Most likely, you just need to find somebody honest to replace the crap panel and clean up the wiring mess inside.

This guys little calculator comes pretty close if you feed it the correct information: »www.electricalknowledge. ··· Calc.asp
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
You might want to edit out your meter serial numbers.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Zach:

You might want to edit out your meter serial numbers.

I thought I did
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
Well another came out and this one actually looked over it and thinks it the customer side of the meter connection.

so we're calling the power company to get them to unlock it so he can take a look.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

Well another came out and this one actually looked over it and thinks it the customer side of the meter connection.

so we're calling the power company to get them to unlock it so he can take a look.

He must have x-ray eyes to be able to look through a metal enclosure and determine it's on the load side of the meter stab. You should have asked him what made him think that.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to nunya

Mod

to nunya
said by nunya:

BTW, your existing underground service wire size is probably 100 or 125A. It isn't 200A.

I'm curious how you deduced this. Are you basing your conclusion on the size of the conduit entering the meter?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by DarkLogix:

He must have x-ray eyes to be able to look through a metal enclosure and determine it's on the load side of the meter stab. You should have asked him what made him think that.

It was based on him hearing a spark sound when he fliped the main

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya to robbin

MVM

to robbin
Tiny conduit is correct. Not going to cram a 200A drop in there. Probably not a 150A either.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

ok well with this 2nd one he's going to quote for installing the panel and putting a 125a main in the panel (square D makes 125/150/175/and 200 mains for the panel)
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

well he came by and pulled the meter to look at the contacts.

one of the 4 contact points is clearly been over heated.

so he's going to quote replacing the meter can..
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

I would call Centerpoint Energy and determine who owns the meter can. In Florida, Florida Power and Light Company started supplying the meter cans in the mid 70's. Centerpoint might just change the socket if they own the meter can and refund your $50.00 premise visit fee.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well per the electrician the meter can is the home owner's.

When we saw the over heated contacts I asked if that was for Centerpoint to replace and he said no.

Though it also looked that the contact on the meter itself was overheated so the meter also needs to be replaced (after the can)

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

well he came by and pulled the meter to look at the contacts.

one of the 4 contact points is clearly been over heated.

so he's going to quote replacing the meter can..

Line side or load side? I'm interested in knowing if the electricians x-ray vision was right.

Your situation is exactly what I was referring to here in Virginia. None of this would be your responsibility.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix

Premium Member

It was ont he side leading to the pole.

it was the top right connector, who's wire went around, down and into the conduit that goes into the ground.

Not x-ray eyes just good hearing, we could hear it arcing when the main breaker was toggled.

and when he came by saturday to lok at it after it was unlocked we saw the blackened connector and whitened plastic around it and over all bad looking on that one connector.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

it was the top right connector, who's wire went around, down and into the conduit that goes into the ground.

Not x-ray eyes just good hearing, we could hear it arcing when the main breaker was toggled.

and when he came by saturday to lok at it after it was unlocked we saw the blackened connector and whitened plastic around it and over all bad looking on that one connector.

So it was on the line side and not the load side (customer) that he originally said. I realize he could hear arcing but unless he had x-ray vision there was no possible way he could determine which was faulty.

Is this situation you are in a Texas unique to POCO procedures there where they can create damage installing a new meter and transfer the total cost to you? I'm asking because that could never happen here. I think if I were you I would press the POCO to pay for the total repair since they are the ones that caused the damage.

You are lucky. One of my friends had the same situation and it almost burned his house down. Luckily a neighbor saw the flames and called the fire dept. Loose connection on the line side of the underground feeder to the meter base was the cause.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by DarkLogix:

So it was on the line side and not the load side (customer) that he originally said. I realize he could hear arcing but unless he had x-ray vision there was no possible way he could determine which was faulty.

WTF are yout talking about?

The guy said it sounded like it was in the meter can and it was stop making crap up.

When did I claim he said he know which side it was on?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

WTF are yout talking about?

In your own words:

»Re: Electrical issue question

said by DarkLogix:

The customer side is the load side.
quote:

The guy said it sounded like it was in the meter can and it was stop making crap up.

re-posting your words is not making CRAP up. you need to remember what you post.

When did I claim he said he know which side it was on?

»Re: Electrical issue question

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to DarkLogix

MVM

to DarkLogix
I can tell you right now, a 125A main will probably cost you more than a new panel.

In fact, when I need new main breakers, I buy a whole new panel, take the main out, and scrap the panel. New panel w/ main breaker = $100. New main breaker alone = $125 - 250. Crazy isn't it? Wasteful too.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
Well we had assumed the power company hadn't lied.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

Well we had assumed the power company hadn't lied.

I understand that. We like to be trusting as to when someone tells us something it's factual and not a flat out lie. I would bet they never checked it because if they had pulled the meter and inspected the stabs, connections and voltage test they would have seen the problem. You are lucky that nothing adverse like a fire resulted.

I commented on the x-ray vision because nobody can observe a metal enclosure like that and determine which lugs or stabs are arching with only the audible sound inside. I wonder why he would even make that guess.

I'm waiting until it cools down a little and I'm going to pull my meter and check the connections on the load side and condition of the stabs. While I have the meter pulled I'll check the connections to the main breaker and 100 amp circuit breaker for the garage.

All I have to do is call the POCO and tell them I'm cutting the seal to check connections and after I'm finished call them to replace the seal.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well with how bad it looked on mine all you'd have to do is pull the meter and you'd see the overheating damage right away (almost instantly)

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

Well with how bad it looked on mine all you'd have to do is pull the meter and you'd see the overheating damage right away (almost instantly)

That's why I think the POCO never checked it like they told you. I also think they owe you $50 back.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I don't think they did ether so if the $50 service fee is there on the bill we're going to complain.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

As it is now the plan is for the work to be done this Friday.
We've gotten 3 quotes ranging from 1200 to 5000 with the mode median being 1400 (ie I don't know what that one 5k guy was thinking)

We're sticking with 125a.
Meter and panel replaced and ground clamp replaced (seems the clamp that holds the ground wire to the rod fell off)

(the guy that quoted $5000 quoted $5000 for 125a and 10,000 for 200a, was late and took a week to get a quote from)

the one we're going with was early, actually looked and listened and found the issue with the meter can.

the 3rd guy was on time didn't look much and just quoted the panel and without seeing the inside of the can said he could just replace the jaws even though the other guy who had seen the inside said the can we had needed to be replaced. (so just not overly impressed with the 3rd and he quoted higher than the 2nd)

btw +1 for angie's list the one I picked from there is the one we're going to use.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

That's sounds like a good plan. You correct your problem and eliminate your dangerous panel. You should sleep better when the job is completed.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Ya, I'm looking forward to it.

New panel and Meter can installed and when we tell the power co to lock the meter back we'll tell them to bring a different brand meter.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

You should save that old can (don't give it to anyone) and take extensive closeup photos of the old meter (front and back).

Angie's List has it's good and bad points. When they say "no company can pay to be on Angie's List", they are pretty much liars. As soon as one of my customers put a review on there, AL called me incessantly wanting me to advertise with them. You pay to push your name to the top of the "list". My company has an "A" rating, and I've gotten the "Super Service Award" each year. I don't have many reviews though. I think it's still less than 30.
I did try their advertising and it was HUGE mistake (waste of money). My AL customers dropped from about 1 or 2 per week, to 1 every 60 days (or less!). Right now, I couldn't tell you the last time I had an AL customer.
I think they are kind of scammy; similar to the BBB. They act like they are there to protect consumers, but they are really just there to double-dip the market.
It only takes one nut-job to throw off your rating too. Fortunately, I haven't had any of those.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

That's why I was looking at and reading reviews not just the rating.

I found one with 30+ reviews and several recent ones that were good.

then still got an estimate from the phone book one, the angie's list one, and the one someone at lowes refereed.

I was considering still getting an estimate from a friend of my brother but the one from angie's list has so far been very good (he was the only one that actually tested and looked for the issue)

came back the very next day to see the meter can after we got center point to unlock it, and got us a quote on the day he said he would, and called to schedule after he had some time to look over his list of jobs for the week.

So far I'm quite happy with this one.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Sounds good. Make sure you try to get the electric company to pay for the meter can replacement and to give you your $50 back.