spc
uniqs
LucasLee
join:2010-11-26

LucasLee to TheBionic

to TheBionic

Re: halo 4 special edition bundle

said by TheBionic:

Fair enough and you may be right...but honestly you've already made up your mind before you ever played. It's going to be VERY hard to please you.

i admit you are completely correct.
one of my main issues regarding the multi-player: i'm aware they're adding essentially call of duty style perks which influence your spartan's abilities.
this breaks the very specific balance each previous Halo game's multi-player has had, in that previously experience only provided visual benefits and map knowledge.
imo, the kill streak style perks, and ability changing perks break multi-player as it creates players that have essentially different amounts of hit points and different damage dealing abilities.
Halo is not this time of game. Halo is not class based like Tribes, never has been.

two spartans are no longer equal, and your ability to play the game has less influence over the outcome of an encounter.
i suppose this is fine for an arcade game. but if there is to be any sort of balanced competitive environment as per the entirety of the series' history, then this type of skinner box bonus breaks the game.

also, i believe Frankie O'Conner is a moron.
i acknowledge that i'm apparently biased against all these changes, and it could turn out that Halo 4 is a fine game.
but i don't wish to reward or encourage this type of franchise sullying cash grab, while the REAL talent behind the many games from Bungie that i've enjoyed for years (beyond simply Halo) has moved on to what sounds like bigger and better things.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00

Premium Member

To be honest with you, they should have just let Halo die. Reach should have been the last Halo game....atleast for a long while....there is such a thing as running something into the ground (See Call of Duty, see Activision)

I like the Halo games, but the time has come. You can ruin a good thing you know, and it looks like thats what they want to do.

On a side note, I have a Xbox 360...and i won't be buying the Xbox 720 or the new Playstation 4. Microsoft messed up big time with the 360 in the last year.

I bought an Xbox 360 and got rid of my Ps3 to get away from the "all in one media center" and the "i can watch TV and such on my console"

I bought a game console, not a set top box. MS has left me no choice and has pushed me away from their console. I am now a PC gamer with Steam (You know where the focus is on games, and not other useless nonsense like Netflix)

Game consoles are no longer game consoles...they are becoming small media center PC that are focused on Media Center abilties(Netflix, Hulu, music, etc) and gaming is now a distant second thought in their mind.

I left Sony because of the "All in One" mindset, and then Microsoft who had a good console for the 1st year and a half i owned it, has now turned into EXACTLY what i left Sony for.

The new Dashboard update is just downright horrid, MS has no platform Exclusive IP's expect Halo and Gears...i mean even Sony showed them up big time at E3 where i never thought i would say this...but Sony had good exciting and new IP they were showing off.

So I have been pushed to PC gaming...where i will most likely stay....it a shame that consoles are uninventing themselves and turning into set top boxes and media centers...invest those resourceds into R&D and developing IP for exclusive titles and you would have a good console...sadly it seems MS and Sony has abandoned true gamers.
LucasLee

LucasLee

said by Woody79_00:

To be honest with you, they should have just let Halo die. Reach should have been the last Halo game....atleast for a long while....

which was a portion of my point. Bungie has moved on, they feel they have told the stories they want to tell within the Halo universe. now, 343i run by a former community manager and none of the legitimate creative talent that made the series what it is, are going to run Halo into the ground.

and i feel all the pandering 343i has done to the COD community simply illustrates my belief.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Woody79_00

to Woody79_00
said by Woody79_00:

To be honest with you, they should have just let Halo die. Reach should have been the last Halo game....atleast for a long while....there is such a thing as running something into the ground (See Call of Duty, see Activision)

I like the Halo games, but the time has come. You can ruin a good thing you know, and it looks like thats what they want to do.

On a side note, I have a Xbox 360...and i won't be buying the Xbox 720 or the new Playstation 4. Microsoft messed up big time with the 360 in the last year.

I bought an Xbox 360 and got rid of my Ps3 to get away from the "all in one media center" and the "i can watch TV and such on my console"

I bought a game console, not a set top box. MS has left me no choice and has pushed me away from their console. I am now a PC gamer with Steam (You know where the focus is on games, and not other useless nonsense like Netflix)

Game consoles are no longer game consoles...they are becoming small media center PC that are focused on Media Center abilties(Netflix, Hulu, music, etc) and gaming is now a distant second thought in their mind.

I left Sony because of the "All in One" mindset, and then Microsoft who had a good console for the 1st year and a half i owned it, has now turned into EXACTLY what i left Sony for.

The new Dashboard update is just downright horrid, MS has no platform Exclusive IP's expect Halo and Gears...i mean even Sony showed them up big time at E3 where i never thought i would say this...but Sony had good exciting and new IP they were showing off.

So I have been pushed to PC gaming...where i will most likely stay....it a shame that consoles are uninventing themselves and turning into set top boxes and media centers...invest those resourceds into R&D and developing IP for exclusive titles and you would have a good console...sadly it seems MS and Sony has abandoned true gamers.

Actually you don't make any sense since the PC also is a multi media device. Yet when the Xbox or PS3 does it you can't stand it. Error! Also what's the big deal? If you only want to use the XBOX for games NOTHING is preventing you form doing that. Get with the times. The days of a stand alone gaming machine are over so get over yourself.
whymeintrouble
Premium Member
join:2001-06-20
Naperville, IL

whymeintrouble

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

...The days of a stand alone gaming machine are over......

as fortunate or unfortunate as this may be, it is 100% correct. the whole industry is looking to consolidate, put as many functions into one piece of equipment as possible.

Woody79_00
Premium Member
united state

Woody79_00 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

Actually you don't make any sense since the PC also is a multi media device. Yet when the Xbox or PS3 does it you can't stand it. Error! Also what's the big deal? If you only want to use the XBOX for games NOTHING is preventing you form doing that. Get with the times. The days of a stand alone gaming machine are over so get over yourself.

The PC is a multi-media device, but comparing it to a console like the Xbox 360 is like apples to oranges. For starters the hardware on a PC is vastly superior and upgradeable, an Xbox is not.

secondly when i bought my Xbox, it was advertised as a "Video game console" not a set top box. If i wanted a set top box i would have bought one, I bought a video game console they have turned into a set top box.

thirdly, Did anyone see Microsoft's pathetic showing at E3...outside of Halo and Gears that had pretty much ZIP in the new Intelectual Properties for the Xbox 360. This is because they are spending all their efforts turning the darn thing into a set top box.

Lastly, PC gaming is making a major comeback in a really big way. Its no coincidence that as the console makers are focusing on this set top box nonsense, PC gaming numbers are increasing big time.

People want a video game console not a damn set top box...we don't want to surf the net on the Xbox we have a PC, Laptop, and Cellphone to do our facebooking and god knows what else on...we want to game...

»www.maximumpc.com/articl ··· comeback

»www.destructoid.com/pc-v ··· 11.phtml

There is a reason more and more people are turning to PC gaming since the consoles started this garbage....and it will continue as long as they stay on this path, in fact by 2015 most estimates have PC gaming outdoing console gaming in sales and users altogether.

I actually like consoles, I don't want to see them die, but their vision of a set top box have pushed myself and many millions away from them...thats not what we bought...The Xbox was advertised as a game console...i bought a game console...not a set top box...not a multi-media center...but a game console.

game consoles were much better when they focused on games. You can clearly see the quality of Xbox 360 games from launch till now and the game of the last 2 years since they started this crap the game qualitiy and such is going down the drain and MS can't even put up any new IP at E3 because they have been wasting resources on this set top box nonsense.

just my opinion....
LucasLee

LucasLee

could you please repeat yourself a few more times within one post?

we get it, you don't like an all in one multimedia and entertainment device.

that said, you clearly didn't follow the advertising for the 360 before or during the launch back in 2005. even the name, "Xbox 360" was an attempt by Microsoft to be at "the center" of the living room for all entertainment possibilities. 360, as in it is surrounded by entertainment options of all kinds. tv and direct download of video services was always part of the promotion.

personally, i dig the integration.

i'd love to see the source for your "most estimates have PC gaming outdoing console gaming in sales and users altogether" by 2015. perhaps if you're counting flash games and other disposable web content and mobile smart phone games. by 2015 there will be a new set of consoles out and they'll be selling like crazy again pushing serious PC gaming into a niche corner for technically minded enthusiasts. consoles will always fair better with the general market. mark my word.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by LucasLee:

consoles will always fair better with the general market. mark my word.

Marked and totally agree!

Grimm
join:2011-05-23

Grimm

said by Goggalor:

said by LucasLee:

consoles will always fair better with the general market. mark my word.

Marked and totally agree!

Thirded?

I sit at a computer all day here at work. Usually, the last thing I want to do is the same at home, so a couch + tv + console wins out 99.99% of the time.

Woody79_00
Premium Member
united state

Woody79_00 to LucasLee

Premium Member

to LucasLee
Click for full size
said by LucasLee:

could you please repeat yourself a few more times within one post?

we get it, you don't like an all in one multimedia and entertainment device.

that said, you clearly didn't follow the advertising for the 360 before or during the launch back in 2005. even the name, "Xbox 360" was an attempt by Microsoft to be at "the center" of the living room for all entertainment possibilities. 360, as in it is surrounded by entertainment options of all kinds. tv and direct download of video services was always part of the promotion.

personally, i dig the integration.

i'd love to see the source for your "most estimates have PC gaming outdoing console gaming in sales and users altogether" by 2015. perhaps if you're counting flash games and other disposable web content and mobile smart phone games. by 2015 there will be a new set of consoles out and they'll be selling like crazy again pushing serious PC gaming into a niche corner for technically minded enthusiasts. consoles will always fair better with the general market. mark my word.

yeah i got a bit carried away lol, please excuse my passion.

As for my source about sales for consoles and PC,

»www.maximumpc.com/articl ··· comeback

Dan Stapleton, editor-in-chief at GameSpy.com, says PC gaming is indeed on the upswing, and he thinks there’s even proof in the numbers.

“If we’re talking about raw numbers, how about 30 million active Steam accounts, 15 million League of Legends accounts, more than 10 million World of Warcraft players, and 4 million Minecraft sales?” Stapleton says. “Those are huge numbers, and each is representative of the things that are really driving modern PC gaming: aggressive digital distribution, free-to-play gaming, MMOs, and unfettered indie developers.”

Stapleton says the performance gulf between the PC and console is so big right now that he suspects console players are envious.

“You can’t look at the visual difference between Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, or Battlefield 3 running on a console next to the PC and not be at least a little jealous,” Stapleton says. “We’re also getting amazing deals from Steam sales, and entire genres like real-time strategy that just don’t work well on consoles. I don’t want to paint all console gamers with one brush, but PC gaming is pretty compelling right now.”

As you can see from the chart above, PC gaming has risen considerably from 2008 to 2012 much moreso then consoles.

This is not to mention how many accounts Steam has added in that time frame.

My neighbors son who is 13 just sold his Xbox, built a PC and installed steam...you can't beat the prices...games are 10-15 dollars cheaper on Steam. Console ports are even cheaper.

IMO the Xbox and PS are in trouble...i won't be surprised if the next gen is the last....I do think Valve will release a Steam Console and it will be upgradeable, and will be the only viable console moving forward simply due to the cheap price Valve can deliver games compared to the others.

again just my take.
LucasLee

1 recommendation

LucasLee

i only meant friendly chiding, and i understand your passion, i've played games for decades across all kinds of consoles and computers.

your source while being clearly from one particular side of the discussion to begin with (a pc mag) appears to fail to accurately acknowledge that the current console generation is 7 years old. of course the pc is doing well right now, and of course the hardware is not equal. but this generation is almost over.
that's exactly what happened back in 2004 when the ps2 and original xbox were slowing their growth.

i guess, i just see too much of your argument mirroring things i heard back when the Voodoo 2 video card was all the rage and people predicted the end of consoles in the 1990's.

so, out of list of "active accounts" referenced (steam/LoL/WoW/Mincraft) there is only marginally more than the number of current active Xbox Live Gold subscribers. and i think it's fair to guess that there is some overlap in those pc gaming related accounts, many of the WoW players likely also have Steam for example.

i'm not saying you're wrong, i just think, this is the most convenient time to make the argument that pc gaming is making a big return to prominence since it's the end of the current console generation. in 3 years, i have a feeling the market wont look like your bar graph as the market is in for a major change once again.

pc gaming is great, it's just not for everyone given the amount of extra effort required to get the most out of the experience.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Woody79_00

Premium Member

to Woody79_00
said by Woody79_00:

Wow... You could not be more wrong.

»www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/ ··· ults=200

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Just because it sells a lot doesn't objectively make it good, either.

Back in the 80s, there were many, many competing architectures besides the x86 that we're now so infamously aware of. And just as back then, doing anything at all on the x86 platform was a mess as well. Judging on pure assembly code, it would objectively be a wonder how x86 got any traction at all. Especially when such code on other platforms could be read by someone that didn't know syntax beforehand and still be understood. The simple fact is that software on the platform had to be hacked up and translated like a boss, and only then did the final result turn out where x86 ended up faster at doing many things than most of these other, more intelligible platforms.

ARM survived for being excellent at what it set out to do, and catering to an appropriate audience. PowerPC remained a strong competitor for some time, until they built themselves into a proverbial corner on the G5 - yes, it was faster than anything before it for Apple, but it also was next to impossible to make one power-efficient enough to live in a notebook. This was the final straw that had Jobs move Apple to intel.

Also, there is the well-known issue, where in... if you bought/made a new PC at the same time as a new console comes out, but upgraded neither, the console would still see and play new games, while more than likely the PC would not be able to play them at even similar detail, or in some cases at all. There's also the fact that you objectively pay more up front for a quality PC gaming experience, while the same money for a console would get you something decidedly worse. But, I digress...

When it comes down to it, there are simply some gaming experience that simply could not be effectively duplicated on certain platforms, and that's why the best way to go about it, is to try and have the different platforms if you can.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by C0deZer0:

that's why the best way to go about it, is to try and have the different platforms if you can.

This right here.