how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thm655321

join:2003-09-01
Canada

[DSL] To Teksavvy: Please offer 15/10

So I had a false start with Teksavvy who told me I qualified for 25/10 but then retracted it saying I could only get 15/1.

The Bell website says I qualify for 15/10. Why does Teksavvy not offer a 15/10 plan for those of us who cannot get 25/10? 15/1 just is not going to cut it for me. I currently use MLPPP with two lines just to get 2MB upload, and that is expensive as it is.

And I called Bell to see what the GB restrictions are on 15/10. It is 75GB/month, plus you can buy an additional 125GB for $25, and after that it is $2/GB. That would just be too expensive for my usage pattern.

Oh, and Teksavvy informed me that upgrading my two 7/1 lines to 15/1 lines would cost about $350.

So c'mon Teksavvy, offer 15/10 to us poor losers stuck in limbo land.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
If you are in limbo land, Im afraid to hear what you call the land of forever lasting ADSL1, where I currently live.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Bhruic

join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to thm655321
Isn't it the case that it's "up to" 15/10? In other words, if you are still using ADSL2, you won't get even close to 10 up, and if you can't get 25/10, you won't get VDSL. It's effectively just false advertising, which luckily Teksavvy doesn't participate in.

KKaWing

join:2007-06-14
reply to thm655321
IIRC the way the pricing is, 15/10 and 25/10 costs the same to TSI therefore no sense in offering 15/10.

ns1225

join:2010-12-30
Montreal, QC
reply to thm655321
Generally speaking if do not qualify for 25Mbps down and 3-10Mbps up, you will never get 15 Mbps with 3-10Mbps upload. Upload speed has a range since it varies with distance from the remote and there are minimums to offer stable VDSL2+.

Bell's "up to" marketing is seriously flawed in this case, saying 15/10 when infact it is 15/0.67 has to be stopped.

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to thm655321
said by thm655321:

So I had a false start with Teksavvy who told me I qualified for 25/10 but then retracted it saying I could only get 15/1.

The Bell website says I qualify for 15/10. Why does Teksavvy not offer a 15/10 plan for those of us who cannot get 25/10? 15/1 just is not going to cut it for me. I currently use MLPPP with two lines just to get 2MB upload, and that is expensive as it is.

And I called Bell to see what the GB restrictions are on 15/10. It is 75GB/month, plus you can buy an additional 125GB for $25, and after that it is $2/GB. That would just be too expensive for my usage pattern.

Oh, and Teksavvy informed me that upgrading my two 7/1 lines to 15/1 lines would cost about $350.

So c'mon Teksavvy, offer 15/10 to us poor losers stuck in limbo land.

The 15/10 is only good for those who can actually get 25/10... or else it's 15/1.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
said by kovy7:

The 15/10 is only good for those who can actually get 25/10...

And do not mind paying Bell's $8/month modem rental fee.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to thm655321
If your line doesn't qualify for 25/1 forget about 15/10 completely. On a good day a 15/10 line might do 15/3 or 15/4. Upload speed is much more dependent on line length than download speed. A better question is has anyone in southern Ontario actually gotten 10 meg upload speed that only qualifies for a 15/10 line not a 25/10 line?

kovy7

reply to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by kovy7:

Exactly, add that!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Inssomniak
said by Inssomniak:

If you are in limbo land, Im afraid to hear what you call the land of forever lasting ADSL1, where I currently live.

Wait... what? People live in Cayuga?

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by kovy7:

= = = = = =

Pretty sure I posted this already somewhere, but I wonder how many folks would change their minds about 15/10 anyway, if they had to add the modem fee and a few other bucks for the 10 speed on the upstream ?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by Inssomniak:

Wait... what? People live in Cayuga?

Mike

A few, we have a Tim Hortons now!
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Chong6969

join:2008-02-20
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to thm655321
The Bell website says I qualify for 15/10. Why does Teksavvy not offer a 15/10 plan

I also get the same options as u at the bell site but if u go down the page and read it says "Upload speeds from 680 Kbps to 10 Mbps"

stormy13

join:2003-10-28
Etobicoke, ON
said by Chong6969:

The Bell website says I qualify for 15/10. Why does Teksavvy not offer a 15/10 plan

Likely because it isn't in the tariff for them to be be able too.
--
MS MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010-2012

kovy7

reply to thm655321
And either way, this would probably be any wholesale worst nightmare to offer this... since it's a big "up to" from VDSL2 upload down to ADSL2+...

How many would take 15/1 if 15/10 is not available once the tech from bell outside say you can't get more then 1mbps upload?

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Chong6969
said by Chong6969:

I also get the same options as u at the bell site but if u go down the page and read it says "Upload speeds from 680 Kbps to 10 Mbps"

You don't really qualify for 15/10, the upload is an 'Up to' when you look at Bell's fine print....in reality you're only qualifying for 15/1...only if there are VDSL facilities would you qualify for a "15/10" service...

Bell says I qualify for 15/10, but I don't, because I only have ADSL2+ facilities available....its just Bell marketing tactics at work.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by nitzguy:

Bell says I qualify for 15/10, but I don't, because I only have ADSL2+ facilities available....its just Bell marketing tactics at work.

That's not marketing tactics. That's outright misleading information to induce you to make a purchase you wouldn't otherwise make.

It's bloody bullshit, and there's no way in hell they should be allowed to do that. If we didn't have such a corrupt regulator they wouldn't.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

kovy7

said by dillyhammer:

said by nitzguy:

That's not marketing tactics. That's outright misleading information to induce you to make a purchase you wouldn't otherwise make.

It's bloody bullshit, and there's no way in hell they should be allowed to do that. If we didn't have such a corrupt regulator they wouldn't.

Mike

I think you can cancel if your not happy getting 15/1 ... but yeah... it's like they purposely miss informing, since they should have a better database then "let's wait till the tech on sight decides".

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

You have to really want that upstream speed to consider DSL as an option.

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by nitzguy:

Mike

I was trying to remain neutral lol, of course its misleading information...I agree with you 100%. It seems counter productive anyways....again, just trying to squeeze things a bit tighter....but as an indie ISP, It'd be foolish to offer 15/10 vs 25/10....not that I'd ever expect that where I live...but for others, sure thing...the question is, what can anyone do about it.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
said by nitzguy:

said by dillyhammer:

said by nitzguy:

That's not marketing tactics.

That's outright misleading information to induce you to make a purchase you wouldn't otherwise make.

I was trying to remain neutral lol, of course its misleading information...I agree with you 100%....

I too was at first viewing this from a distance, as I only discovered what Bell was saying/doing AFTER seeing TSI's new site and having ITS lookup fail on my location.

I then had checked what Bell's lookup said and it told me 15/10, which I know full well is not supported in our community when even 15/1 is not happening yet in a neighbouring city of SIX times our population. - WE were lucky to get our 16/1 upgrades first.

So ya figure that Bell is deliberately F###ing with the public ?

MY first reaction was that possibly it was an error on a brand new site and was about to be fixed, but I guess not, if other DSLR regulars see it as an outright lie.

How long HAS it been anyway, since Bell's site was changed to how it is today ?

IIRC, Bell's site - in general listings - only showed 15/10 and no more 15/1 - even BEFORE I did my lookup !

Having said all of that, it would be very interesting to see statistics on what percentage of Bell lines are reported by their new website lookup as supporting this new 15/10 tier, and compare it to how many of those particular lines actually DO.

Less than HALF ?

Remember that they dropped 2 other tiers (16/1, and 10/1 or 12/1) to introduce 15/10.

Simplified ? - Yes, on the surface at least.

Honest ? - NOT A CHANCE !

And do they have any fine print about the VDSL modem ? - wait, that does not matter to Bell retail as they waive charging for that still, right ?

This sounds like one for the CBC Marketplace show, or other such watchdogs.

Has Michael Geist or Peter Nowak weighed in on this blatant misrepresentation of the facts ?

Or Karl ?

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
From the Bell website, just took the important parts:

Upload speeds of up to 10 Mbps(1)

That (1) leads to:

Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell. Min. 680 Kbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds.

Then this is listed down more near the bottom:

Upload speeds from 680 Kbps to 10 Mbps

So to those who think TSI isn't offering 15/10, its because in reality it doesn't exist. The only thing I can see is that they're trying to qualify more people on VDSL2 to improve revenues so that's why they created this VDSL2 15/10 tier...but its kind a hybrid tier, 15/10 for VDSL2 and 15/1 for everything else....

Oh well, just to point out what was what...

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by nitzguy:

....So to those who think TSI isn't offering 15/10, its because in reality it doesn't exist.

The only thing I can see is that they're trying to qualify more people on VDSL2 to improve revenues so that's why they created this VDSL2 15/10 tier...but its kind a hybrid tier, 15/10 for VDSL2 and 15/1 for everything else....

Surely Mirko must say a prayer each morning, noon, and night - thanking his deity for the existence of 'Fine Print'.

I do understand what you wrote, but I'm trying to stir up $#!T here.

And I really would like to know what percentages of the subscriber service locations whose initial lookups suggest 15/10 can actually GET any form of VDSL support on their lines.

There has to be SOME way for us to nail Bell on this new BS !

They should call things what they REALLY are, reinstate a 15/1 or similar tier, and offer it honestly where their network has not yet been upgraded to VDSL.

Quite Simple.

Then I and a bunch of others would be all to glad to shut our pie-holes - without even being asked.

And I do agree with those here who have said that if a line supported 15/10, it would almost for sure support 25/10.

I'm thinking that a 15/7 tier might be a better middle ground for Bell, but keep the 15/1 tier too.