join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

2 edits

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Portable Generator question

Click for full size
Click for full size
For this generator (5500 running watts/8250 starting watts), what would be the best way to run this into the house (rental duplex, don't want to mess with the wiring but there are holes in the house that could be used to run a wire into the house). I would like to run a few appliances. I was thinking of running a wire to an outside plug and inside outlet). What would be the best setup. I do not want to mess with the house wiring but I can do wiring myself.

What I am thinking of doing is wiring one of these »www.lowes.com/ProductDis ··· Id=PDIO1 on the outside and installing a 30 amp outlet inside near the top of the basement stairs. I just don't know how to distribute it throughout the house. I would need to convert that 30 amp outlet to standard plug-ins so they can be used with household appliances. I would run it from the the thirty amp outlet with extension cords (heavy duty). I bought the generator during an extended outage last year (and the poco power came on a few hours later).

It was not a planned purchase.

I am thinking of running essential appliances such as refrigerator and a few lights and a heater/ac depending on season. AC is a 5000 btu unit.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 edit

guppy_fish

Premium Member

It will cost you 1/2 gallon and hour fuel costs, even at idle with the beast, so the 10 cents to run the fridge from the electric company will cost 2 bucks an hour. Also your neighbors and code enforcement will be having a look to see if your a grow house

Not sure why you went this route, but nothing good will become of it

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Click for full size
generator.pdf
51,675 bytes
said by guppy_fish:

It will cost you 4X-10X or more in fuel cost than paying the electric company, and your neighbors and code enforcement will be having a look to see if your a grow house.

Not sure why you went this route, but nothing good will become of it

What I am talking about is in the event of a power outage (like the one last fall that left us without power for three days).

I am just planning ahead for the next outage. I just don't want to go through the hassle of installing a transfer switch and I do not want to backfeed into the house wiring (as it will kill electrical workers who are restoring power). The house is a rental but I have some existing holes (about the size needed for dual coaxial cable from the old DirecTV dish). that I could run generator plug into the basement and install a 30 amp outlet near the basement stairs. From there, I would have to use whatever cords/plugs to convert it into standard plug-ins. I am wondering how to wire it so that I can use it with a standard plug.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
This mix of portable/temporary and fixed installation is likely trip over some code compliance issues.

Why not keep it simple and don't install anything on the rental property and just get a set of sufficiently long outdoor extension cords (assuming the purpose of the generator is temporary use during power outages) ?

In case you are going forward with your idea, since you are planning to attach 15A / 20A 120V outlets downstream from the 30A connector you should include fuses or breakers in your design to provide overcurrent protection to those outlets.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
+1 on the use of heavy duty (15 amp and outdoor rated) extension cords. That would be the way to go instead of building some sort of emergency power distribution box in the basement with a cord poked through a hole.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

This is what I would use on the inside 30 amp outlet. What I am worried about is would it be the proper voltage, and amperage.
»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N ··· vuqn81SU

What I am trying to do is run the wire into the house without having to crack the door open (as I like to secure the house as crime went up during the last widespread outage). The generator would be chained down as well.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Well, it says it's listed, so the only issue is likely bringing the "extension cord" from the generator inside. That should be protected by a piece of conduit.

For emergency use only I guess this would work out alright.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 recommendation

Mr Matt to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Check out this accessory set for your generator. Compare the price to the cord and splitter purchased separately.

»www.bjs.com/dek-universa ··· =2004464

This is the manufactures specifications for the cord set and multi-outlet splitter:

»www.gxioutdoorpower.com/ ··· ries.php

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
you are on the right track, put the inlet on the outside, outlet on the inside, and then use the twist lock adapter for your temporary cord. you will likely need to make the hole bigger for the wiring between the inlet and outlet though.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Best thing to do is just use extension cords. If you really want, get a 30A (L5) extension cord with 15A pigtails on it.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

To crarify, I am planning on running 10/4 wire from the generator inlet that I will install on the back of the house to an outlet at the top of the basement stairs (like the one on the upper right outlet on the generator).

I want to know the name of that outlet and how to wire it. I am proficienat at electrical wiring as I have replaced light fixtures, switches, and outlets. One of my upcoming projects is to hardwire a timer on the front porch light.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

I want to know the name of that outlet and how to wire it.

It's a 30A twist lock.

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Keep it simple. They make long cords that will have a plug for the twist lock on one end and 4 120 outlets on the other. That way you only have one cord running into the house and can run your other extension cords from one single point in the house. Being a rental property do you really want to do wiring to something you don't own? Would the landlord approve you doing this wiring?

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to fifty nine

MVM

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

If you really want, get a 30A (L5) extension cord with 15A pigtails on it.

He doesn't have any L5-30 outlet on the generator. L5 would be 120V only and L6 would be 240V only. His outlet is 120V(hot to neutral)/240V(hot to hot) which is L14 (probably L14-30 but I can't tell current rating just from the picture).
leibold

1 edit

leibold to Coma

MVM

to Coma
said by Coma:

It's a 30A twist lock.

Are you sure that the generator is using a proprietary (non-NEMA) connector ?

Edit: as Zach See Profile points out below, this is definitely not the correct plug for the generator. It is a non-standard connector that is not UL-listed and is only sold as direct replacement part (not to be used for new applications). If this were a 3-phase generator (it is not) the connector would be L15 (3-phase delta) or L21 (3-phase wye).
JTY
join:2004-05-29
Ellensburg, WA

JTY to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I'd just get a generator cord, that has a twist lock on one end, and multiple outlets on the other. That's what I do with my B&S generator.
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

1 recommendation

Zach to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold
said by leibold:

said by Coma:

It's a 30A twist lock.

The device in the link is intended for use with a 3Ph, 4W system.

»www.hubbellcatalog.com/w ··· L3431GCB

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold
said by leibold:

No, I'm not, but it shouldn't make any difference if the pin configuration is the same. Just wire it correctly.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold
said by leibold:

said by fifty nine:

If you really want, get a 30A (L5) extension cord with 15A pigtails on it.

He doesn't have any L5-30 outlet on the generator. L5 would be 120V only and L6 would be 240V only. His outlet is 120V(hot to neutral)/240V(hot to hot) which is L14 (probably L14-30 but I can't tell current rating just from the picture).

It's a 120/240 30 amp outlet. Here is the specs for the generator »m.briggsandstratton.com/ ··· sponder/
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts to Coma

to Coma
The receptacle and the plug you linked to are probably keyed differently. Even if they're not, there's no reason for the OP to spend $70 on a plug.

shdesigns