The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood

Re: [Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem

I am glad to see that Comcast is offering several popular cable modems/gateways at competitive prices because I have been considering getting an SB612x for my business class account since I no longer have a pressing need for static IP addresses (but I don't want to have to use the SMCD3G's limited NAT implementation).

I have a question that perhaps jlivingood See Profile (or some other Comcast employee) can answer. If I purchase an SB6121 from the »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ Amazon affiliated store, does Comcast honor the warranty, or would I need to go through Amazon or Motorola should that device go belly up during the warranty period? I know that when I was an AT&T DSL customer, a DSL modem/gateway that was purchased from AT&T (as opposed to Amazon, TigerDirect, et al) would be replaced by AT&T should if fail during the warranty period (and I would hope that Comcast would do so as well).

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

I have a question that perhaps jlivingood See Profile (or some other Comcast employee) can answer. If I purchase an SB6121 from the »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ Amazon affiliated store, does Comcast honor the warranty, or would I need to go through Amazon or Motorola should that device go belly up during the warranty period?

If you want a warranty through Comcast then you really want to lease a device from us. If you are buying a device from us it is provided by Amazon and thus your recourse for returns is via Amazon in that case.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by jlivingood:

said by NetFixer:

I have a question that perhaps jlivingood See Profile (or some other Comcast employee) can answer. If I purchase an SB6121 from the »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ Amazon affiliated store, does Comcast honor the warranty, or would I need to go through Amazon or Motorola should that device go belly up during the warranty period?

If you want a warranty through Comcast then you really want to lease a device from us. If you are buying a device from us it is provided by Amazon and thus your recourse for returns is via Amazon in that case.

What about CDV hardware? I know that Best buy in some areas was selling EMTA models, but I read that they weren't doing that anymore. Are ya'll gonna hook up with Amazon to sell EMTA models that are Comcast approved? I've seen that Amazon already sells EMTAs but it's hit or miss whether Comcast would activate a legit bought model vs one bought off Ebay or the like.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by Chris 313:

What about CDV hardware?....Are ya'll gonna hook up with Amazon to sell EMTA models that are Comcast approved?

Yes - we're working on that now (but it will take some time).

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by jlivingood:

said by Chris 313:

What about CDV hardware?....Are ya'll gonna hook up with Amazon to sell EMTA models that are Comcast approved?

Cool. I don't anticipate being D3 upgraded until the end of the year or into 2013. Also, do you have any EMTA only models on the Amazon list or are they all gateway all in one devices? I really hope you have EMTA only devices as well as gateways on the list as I despise all in one devices since they make problem solving and use with complicated setups a real pain.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2 to jlivingood

MVM

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

said by Chris 313:

I am glad to hear this, especially now that Comcast has approved the Arris TM822G, which would give us an 8x4 D3 eMTA that is not a wireless gateway, to choose from.