how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tjb122982

join:2009-09-22
Terre Haute, IN

[hard drive] External Hard Drive not being recongized

I have a Hitachi XL2000 that was working fine up to a couple weeks ago but now ceases to be recognized my desktop, another desktop, netbook, (new, as in brought in the last 12 hours new) PS3, and my Roku box (never worked). The thing is I plug it in and it's on but the computer but it is not recognized. I have switched out extension cords and it hasn't worked. Also, it doesn't always power on. I can usually try another outlet on the extension cord and it will work. I am pretty sure it is done and I'll have to buy a new one but I wanted to make sure that I am not missing something. Any ideas?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
Are you using the included AC power adapter? If not, this is almost certainly the problem, as USB 1.x and 2.x ports do not provide enough power to spin up many 3.5" (and some 2.5") drives. Always use the included AC adapter.

If you are using the AC adapter and you're certain its working, i.e. you can hear the disk spinning up (press ear against enclosure), then contact Hitachi and make it their problem. This is one of the advantages to purchasing a non-OEM product -- the vendor should always be your first choice for support.
Expand your moderator at work

tjb122982

Terre Haute, IN
reply to koitsu

Re: [hard drive] External Hard Drive not being recongized

said by koitsu:

Are you using the included AC power adapter? If not, this is almost certainly the problem, as USB 1.x and 2.x ports do not provide enough power to spin up many 3.5" (and some 2.5") drives. Always use the included AC adapter.

If you are using the AC adapter and you're certain its working, i.e. you can hear the disk spinning up (press ear against enclosure), then contact Hitachi and make it their problem. This is one of the advantages to purchasing a non-OEM product -- the vendor should always be your first choice for support.

I am using the AC adapter that it came with. It does seem like it is making a spinning noise. I plug it again and see if it spins. Also, being an non-OEM mean it is still under warranty even I have had it over a year.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA
If the drive is spinning but it isn't appearing in Windows or even on the USB bus, then the two possibilities are: 1) USB-SATA bridge chip inside the enclosure is broken/horked in some way, or 2) drive itself is having mechanical or electronic issues. Hitachi will be the only one who can help rectify this.

By non-OEM, I meant it's a Hitachi-brand enclosure with an Hitachi-brand disk inside -- compare that to buying an enclosure of your own choice (random brand/vendor) and buying a hard disk of your own choice and putting it in that enclosure. So this makes it something should work out with Hitachi.

Let us know how things progress!
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

tjb122982

Terre Haute, IN
said by koitsu:

If the drive is spinning but it isn't appearing in Windows or even on the USB bus, then the two possibilities are: 1) USB-SATA bridge chip inside the enclosure is broken/horked in some way, or 2) drive itself is having mechanical or electronic issues. Hitachi will be the only one who can help rectify this.

By non-OEM, I meant it's a Hitachi-brand enclosure with an Hitachi-brand disk inside -- compare that to buying an enclosure of your own choice (random brand/vendor) and buying a hard disk of your own choice and putting it in that enclosure. So this makes it something should work out with Hitachi.

Let us know how things progress!

I plugged it again using an extension cord. The first attempt, there were no signs of life at all. The second attempt was I plugged into a different outlet on the same extension cord and it came on. I put my ear against the enclosure and I heard a noise but then it went away. I didn't hear any spinning but it could had been very faint. Does make sense?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA
Yep, makes sense. It's probably too hard to tell since the drive is within an enclosure. It's a 3.5" drive (probably a 7K2000 model disk), but meh. Contact Hitachi.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to tjb122982
If your using WindowsXP, you can go into Device Manager, and under Disk Drives, you should be able to see the drive listed there.

If it is listed, but not showing up in Explorer, then you need to tell windows to initialize it.

Right click My Computer > Manage

You should see a list of your drives, and possibly the missing drive you're trying to get to come up. If it has a blocked symbol on it, or says its inactive, right click on it and "Reactivate Volume" and see if that brings it back to life.

If you're just not seeing at all, and you're sure its spinning up (you can feel / hear the vibration from the drive), then as Koitsu said...you need to contact the manufacturer. If you plug it in and nothing happens, and replug it in and it does, that already sounds fishy.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

VanDivX

join:2003-07-22
Toronto, ON

1 edit
I have very much similar problem and seeing this thread I will post here instead of making new one. Hope its ok.

Disk is WD Caviar 640GB SATA drive which is way past warranty, was working as C: WinXP system drive, few days ago I clicked on folder on this drive to open it and computer froze and I got BSOD...
Upon reset I got 'Grub' on black screen.

I put the drive in working usb enclosure and hooked it up to my win7 laptop and it installed hardware but no disk showing anywhere except in that Administration Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management... where it has that red down arrow on it and it says its not initialized. And when I try to Initialize it, I get the message that The function is not supported.

However I know how other similar drives spin and I am pretty sure this drive doesn't spin up - you don't need to put ear to enclosure to hear other drives to spin up. All I hear is some buzz like sound, also some fine clicking (those may be heads) but definitely no spin up sound. When I put other drive into that usb enclosure they spin up and work.

I think the drive is hosed mechanically and I am pondering if unscrewing the top lid and checking inside I could help things, like gingerly help platters to start spinning, they may just be stuck or something.

I know its drastic, also I don't have that terribly important data on it, still I'd like to recover them.

I have already tried putting the drive in the fridge if the cooldown might enable it to spin up but no luck.