Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to 88615298

Re: Interesting

said by 88615298:

said by pnh102:

1. It becomes a radically different business when you have to do billing and content delivery all by yourself.

How are the doing it Scandinavia then?

It could be they are testing the waters in an area where they purportedly do not offer their cable channels for viewing through cable TV.

According to Wiki, HBO doesn't have its cable channels offered in Denmark, Norway, Sweden or Finland. This is probably why they chose to do this there.
said by 88615298:

That is untrue. HBO costs me $15 via cable I get 6 HBO channels and HBOGo. HBOGo standalone for $15 is LESS of a value.

No. HBO costs you $15 + whatever you pay for cable TV and a box rental. That would probably make it well over $50 and possibly clost to $100 or so a month. You can't get HBO programming any other way, and for someone who doesn't want cable TV, but who wants to watch HBO programming, it is a pretty steep hill to climb just for that one set of channels.
said by 88615298:

HUGE difference between someone downloading HBO shows because they are too cheap to pay for HBO and someone WANTING to hand their money over to HBO. And HBO says "Nah we don't want it" then fuck 'em.

Well, until the number of total pay-tv subscribers in the US goes from ~100 million to say, ~70 million or so, my bet is that HBO will maintain the status quo here. Right now, the number of cord cutters is in the low hundreds of thousands at best.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by pnh102:

No. HBO costs you $15 + whatever you pay for cable TV and a box rental. That would probably make it well over $50 and possibly clost to $100 or so a month. You can't get HBO programming any other way, and for someone who doesn't want cable TV, but who wants to watch HBO programming, it is a pretty steep hill to climb just for that one set of channels.

That assumes one decides to finally cut the cord because they can get HBOGo separately. That's simply untrue. If you cut cable you may still get HBO if HBOGo is offered separately but you're not getting all those other channels your cable provider provides. How many people are willing to give those up? My guess is not many. And for every person that cuts the cord because they can get HBOGo standalone you have another person keeping their HBO cable subscription because of HBOGo. So it evens out. The only reason I got HBO was because they offered it for $5 a month for a year. Well when it goes back up to regular price I'm considering keeping it because of HBOGo. Without HBOGo I doubt I keep HBO.