uniqs

Gone Fishing
Premium Member
join:2001-06-29

1 edit

Gone Fishing to KeysCapt

Premium Member

to KeysCapt

Re: [Info] Important Changes to Microsoft Services Agreement...

Click for full size
said by KeysCapt:

There are two versions of this email, one of which is valid and the other is malicious:
»SCAM: Important Changes to Microsoft Services Agreement (Several pages of comments)

"There are actually 2 emails going around. One is a legitimate e-mail from Microsoft. The other appears to be taking advantage of Microsoft's notification of new Terms of Service and sending a mirror copy of the e-mail with bad links going to blsechtech.com."

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

Somethings wrong. I just tried clicking on the links in your screenshot, and nothing happened. (Well, the screenshot itself gets bigger or smaller, but nothing else happens).

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

good news, if u migrated your hotmail to outlook.com interface, you can see a green shield beside the email in your inbox, this proves its the genuwine one from microsoft, not the hoax one. mine was genuwine after all. wow who woulda known

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

Yeah, I just went directly to my hotmail account (even though I had already deleted it from my email client, it was saved on the server), and there was that wonderful green shield).
I still have an old Hotmail account which I rarely get email from these days, unless it's a newsletter I've specifically subscribed to from Microsoft.
But the "shield" is a nice touch. (As I said, I knew it was legit anyway).
But always watch out for those green shields that look like they've been painted on.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to Gone Fishing

Premium Member

to Gone Fishing
Kosh Vorlon - MS MVP replied on August 31, 2012:
quote:
What's worse is that hovering over the link to check the "real" link (which was close to what DanPC noted) and just viewing it in preview was sufficient for a malware attack which was blocked and quarantined by MSE (Trojan:JS/BlacoleRef.AP) after I was alerted to perform a Clean. So it was not just a scam or spam or phishing effort, but a malicious and subtle malware attack!!

This is a very serious situation. All need to be considered dangerous and deleted and only the link you provided in your post used. I've no idea how to get the word out and prevent harm to a great many people. Not everyone is setup as secure as I am and will not thwart the attack.

Gone Fishing
Premium Member
join:2001-06-29

Gone Fishing

Premium Member

Re: [Info] Important Changes to Microsoft Services Agreement ...

quote:
... a malware attack which was blocked and quarantined by MSE (Trojan:JS/BlacoleRef.AP) after I was alerted to perform a Clean....

Ditto!