spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Craiger

join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Would The iNID Ever Replace The Inside DSL Gateway?

Just curious would the iNID become the demarc point of house then if you wanted to expand to other rooms upstairs in a house a person would use a wifi router? Then you wouldn't need an inside DSL Modem Gateway. Does the iNID already a four port router?

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
The iNID has a single Ethernet Port on it that can be enabled or disabled from the server software. It's on the Settings/LAN page.

Craiger

Chesterfield, MO

3 edits
What if they expanded the ethernet ports on the iNID to four and add wifi?

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA
reply to Msradell
Actually the INiD has two ethernet ports on it. If you want more ports and wifi then you can use the HPNA bridge that they give you during installation. But it isn't required.

dave006

join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Craiger
said by Craiger:

Just curious would the iNID become the demarc point of house then if you wanted to expand to other rooms upstairs in a house a person would use a wifi router? Then you wouldn't need an inside DSL Modem Gateway. Does the iNID already a four port router?

The iNID aka i3812v replaces the inside VDSL Modem Gateway. The i3812v is the VDSL modem and supports a max of 2 VDSL lines. It is normally paired with 1 or more i38HG devices within the house. You can have up to 8 i38HGs connected to one i3812v ( iNID ).

The i32HG is a Wifi AP and has 4 ethernet 10/100 ports. It is normally connected to the i3812v via twisted pair wiring using HPNA protocol.

Many customers have enabled the customer accessable Ethernet port in the i3812v and used standard Etherent cabling to connnect their own Ethernet switches and or Wifi APs within the house.

Dave

Craiger

Chesterfield, MO

1 edit
Does the outside gateway have wifi? So if say you only had a HD DVR and HD Receiver those two could be hooked up to the outside gateway with ethernet then all inside wifi devices could be configured to the outside gateway with wifi? No inside gateway needed? Would that be a secure installation?

dave006

join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL
No the i3812v currently only supports Ethernet and HPNA and again the Etherent is disabled in the default install. That's why they offer the i32HG for Wifi and local Ethernet ports. You will still need something inside to provide your Wifi.

Also you will want to split out the U-verse DVR and any U-verse receivers from your data network to prevent the IPTV traffic from flooding the entire network.

Dave

atttech

@comcast.net
reply to guhuna
Actually the outside unit of a INID setup only has 1 Ethernet port, the 2nd port you see is a telco port only. The telco port is for techs, for troubleshooting. it will provide service for only a few minutes if at all. I am a uverse tech in CT....

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to Craiger
ATT is about to release a PACE modem that will do all of Uverse, AKA pair bonded VDSL, single pair VDSL, and IPDSL.

Its an inside unit. From what I understand the iNID as we know it will be phased out eventually.

Also, wireless boxes on the iNID are coming soon.

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
reply to atttech
Right, I've been using the tech port for over a year now and have not had any issues. I'm internet only, all these myths about limitations on this port are just b/s for internet only users. Now TV users yes the multicast packets get dropped after a certain amount of time.

Mcmurdy1980

join:2012-10-22
Newhall, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Craiger
The inside units can be feed via hpna over coax and/or 1 pair phone. You can connect up to 8 but recommend 2.

As for the In side pair bond, why would you want that. The vdsl/ipdsl signal will have no splitters, baluns, or anything to mess with the signal on the outside unit. Once it hits the outside unit, all you need to do is send the hpna out through coax and phone and not worry about bridge tap. The inside unit can be placed out of the way. It only required a phone cord and power. This is an amazing device. I have it.

Mcmurdy1980

Newhall, CA
reply to Craiger
You need a new modem. The 3600 is being shelved. It has wifi issues and their is a document that states that in AT&T. You will need a new modem a 3800 or 3801. The tech should replace it when he gets there.

Mcmurdy1980

Newhall, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Craiger
Looking at the pic I see a dip in the AM freq, and adsl freq. I wish I could see your insertion loss and noise, and I could get a better pic. If it is am interference it could be the bonding and grounding or the connections. Scream at the manager enough and it will be chronic. They have to pay attention to you.