how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

subinthapa

join:2007-04-26
Claremont, CA

Can switch to PPP make a 327W unstable?

I have had this modem for about three years with relatively few problems. After upgrading from a slow Dynamic IP connection to a faster PPP connection, the modem seems to be unstable, for lack of a better term. PPP is properly set up, and the modem's link speed, as well as online speed tests, show the correct connection speed about half the time. However, over time, things get weird. If I go back into the setup page after half an hour or more, it will show two connections. Sometimes both connections show the proper speed, but usually they end up showing about one-third the expected connection speed. Speed tests verify that this is the speed it's delivering. I can manually reboot the modem and it restores the single connection at the expected speed, but I have to do this multiple times a day. Any ideas?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by subinthapa:

If I go back into the setup page after half an hour or more, it will show two connections.

Can you post a picture of the page that shows two connections

subinthapa

Claremont, CA
Click for full size
Both show the correct speed at the moment, but they drop in unison when the problem occurs.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
I think that the "second connection" is not real

subinthapa

Claremont, CA
The second connection is not real. It disappears when the router is rebooted. The question is, does it indicate that I have a setting messed up in the configuration, or is the router having some sort of hardware problem and might need to be replaced soon? DSL Extreme tried to sell me a new one because they don't support this one, but they admitted it should work fine with PPP.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by subinthapa:

The second connection is not real. It disappears when the router is rebooted. The question is, does it indicate that I have a setting messed up in the configuration, or is the router having some sort of hardware problem and might need to be replaced soon? DSL Extreme tried to sell me a new one because they don't support this one, but they admitted it should work fine with PPP.

It might be a configuration problem.

#1 In the router select the My Network icon.

#2 Then select Network Connections from the left menu

#3 On the Broadband Connection screen click on the words "(Broadband Connection DSL".)

You will see a screen that looks like the screen that you see at »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100? just after the directions of

quote:
On the Broadband Connection screen click on the words "(Broadband Connection DSL)".

#4 How many VCs exist that are enabled?

#5 How many Connection Profiles Exist?
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to subinthapa
said by subinthapa:

The question is, does it indicate that I have a setting messed up in the configuration, or is the router having some sort of hardware problem and might need to be replaced soon?

I don't think the westell is going bad or that its configuration is messed up

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by wayjac:

said by subinthapa:

The question is, does it indicate that I have a setting messed up in the configuration, or is the router having some sort of hardware problem and might need to be replaced soon?

I don't think the westell is going bad or that its configuration is messed up

Then what do you think about the OP's issue?

Thanks
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

1 recommendation

The html for that page is messed up, the "second connection" info is a repeat of the first connection

subinthapa

Claremont, CA

1 recommendation

Details for the "Broadband Connection (DSL)" screen:

Under PPP Connection Profile, there is only one connection, named "My Connection" (just like shown in the referenced FAQ post)

Below, under VCs, only one is shown with the PPPoE protocol. If I click the plus sign below it, I see six disabled Bridge protocol VCs.

It appears that this is the case regardless of whether the main screen shows the appropriate connection overview or not. The original problem hasn't changed. We still need to restart the modem a couple times a day.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to subinthapa
Hmm..

#1 While I know you have this Westell 327w and I know one of it's RJ-45 LAN ports can be reconfigured to act as a RJ-45 WAN port: Do you have your own RJ-45 WAN port router?

#2 If not: Do you have any old computers around that you could use for what is addressed on »Exploring DIY Linux Router Distros ( not one of the many normal computer activities that user use their computer for ) ?

By normal computer activities, for a few things that I have heard/read about OR I otherwise do:

Using the Internet (web browsing/posting on web sites using a web browser, send/receive e-mail using a e-mail client, ETC), office work (spread sheets, word processor, ETC), gaming, picture / video ( making / editing ).
--

subinthapa

Claremont, CA

1 recommendation

Well... The idea of taking more direct control of the router setup with a custom box is appealing, but I don't realistically have the time to do it these days. I appreciate the help and suggestions. I'll have the DSL Extreme techs on BBR check the line quality a couple times and if it's good, probably just swap out the router with another preconfigured off-the-shelf unit. The techs did find a problem a couple months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if something is messed up outside the house.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by subinthapa:

probably just swap out the router with another preconfigured off-the-shelf unit.

You meant

a) Get another DSL modem combo?

b) or did you mean, get a RJ-45 WAN port router and put the modem combo into bridge mode?

Thanks
--
Expand your moderator at work

subinthapa

Claremont, CA

1 recommendation

reply to aefstoggaflm

Re: Can switch to PPP make a 327W unstable?

I've been dealing with DSLX and VZ support since my last post, so I think we've reached a definite conclusion. I was referring to swapping the 327W for either option a) or b) above, whichever I could do for minimum cash. We've been up at full rated speeds for two days now, so I think the problem is solved. VZ sent techs to the house twice, and the second one was so good that he actually came inside and tested the inside line, both with his tester and connected to the two DSL modems I have, after verifying that the outside lines were good all the way back to the DSLAM. We made two changes: VZ swapped our connection to another circuit in the central office, and I'm using a Comtrend DSL modem that feeds a dedicated wireless router. The problem was still intermittent right up until we settled on this combination of changes, so we don't have enough information to be sure what was causing it, but I don't plan on using the 327W anymore. Maybe intermittent loss of sync with no other indications of problems is a sign that this modem is failing. I still haven't had that idea verified by anyone smarter than me, but it seems like it could be true in this case.