spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ez2cy

join:2008-03-05

[WIN7] Program being blocked?

I am running Win7. I had a poker client on my computer and deleted it and reinstalled it. It will not start up. I contacted their support and they say something is blocking it from my end, ie virus protection etc. They got me to delete/disable everything they could think of and it doesn't work still. Firewall(windows) and Microsoft Security Essentials are all I have on, that I know of.

Any ideas as to what might be stopping this program from running on my PC?

Thanks in advance

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

Did you delete it or uninstall it?

ez2cy

unistalled

ez2cy

Had one person say on a poker forum it was the netframe? Advised me to unistall it and download 3.5SP1. Did that and no differance.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ez2cy

What does "blocking it" actually mean when "they" say it?

If this is truly a firewall or AV issue, no amount of uninstalling and reinstalling either the app or the .NET framework will change the firewall or AV settings.

The Windows firewall is at Control Panel -> Windows Firewall. Is there any mention of 'your poker client' there? But this is elementary stuff, so it seems odd that the poker client support people didn't look there.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
reply to ez2cy

I know its not the same issue, but I had an issue that went on for 4 months with playing online games with Pogo.

I don't use the Windows Firewall, and my "router" is a self-built one. Its a Dell Desktop running Smoothwall Express 3.0.

By default, the port blocking rule was "Block all with exceptions". So, this means that any port that I needed to use, I had to open it myself. Smoothwall did most of the common ones (web, IM's email, etc). I had to open some additional ones for Skype, and Teamview.

However, I was still having issues with the Pogo online games working. I kept getting an error message (something about their servers were busy or something, or a time out).

Long story short, I started looking at the firewall logs. By trial and error, I had to open up the following ports

And that's just the start, as I had not tested every game yet. It looked like each game was using a different set of ports. I finally gave up, and modified the rules to be "Allowed with exceptions". So, I did not have to worry about opening any more ports.

Bottom line is that if you have a firewall of some kind, you may want to look at the firewall logs, and see if there is any indication of ports being blocked on that application.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

ez2cy

Blocking it to them is my firewall or AV.

I unistalled or disabled all the firewalls/AV I know of.

Where do I look for firewall logs for my router
Or look at ports?
Thanks for the help

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

said by ez2cy:

Where do I look for firewall logs for my router
Or look at ports?
Thanks for the help

Always glad to help.

As far as where to look for firewall logs, it would depend on what router you have. If you post that, myself or someone else should be able to point you in the right direction.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to ez2cy

Is it inbound or outbound connections that are being blocked?

(I can't see why a 'poker client' would need to handle inbound connections, but...)

ez2cy

reply to plencnerb

Have a dlink.

Thanks

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Its probably an outbound connection log that you are looking for.

As far as where you get to that on a DLINK Router, I'm sorry as I don't own one (mine was a netgear). Hopefully someone else can post how to get there.

You may also try to google your router's model #, and see if you can find the manual. It should be in there too.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

reply to dave

I understand what you are asking but don't...LOL

I have no idea what is being blocked. I think it's the program itself.

I got to start it, it begins to load (atleast I get a small grey square and the computer blinks and it's gone.

Blocked may not be the right word they used. Something is stopping it from opening, or shutting it down when it tries to open.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

No, you are using the right word: Blocking. That is the same thing that was happening to me with the games on the Pogo webpage. The game would start to load, but it would not load fully. Then, after about 2 or 3 minutes, I would get a page that indicated an issue. It was a real generic message (I think the words time out were used), and to me, it seemed to indicate that the problem was on Pogo's end (like they had server or network issues).

I just took it upon myself to go looking into the logs of my firewall and that is when I saw the requests (source and destination IP's and Ports) being blocked. After doing research on the destination IP's, I verified that it was one of the Pogo's servers, and I would then open the port that it wanted. As I had indicated, Pogo is odd, in the fact that it requires so many different ports to be open in order (for outbound traffic) for their games to be played. Some of them are the ones I listed in a post on the 3rd of Sept.

So, in your case, it appears that something in your DLINK Router is blocking the information from going from your computer out to the internet.

A simple test would be to remove your router, and plug your computer directly into your Modem, and see what happens. If the game loads, then we know for sure that its your router causing the problem.

I again want to point out that I don't know much about the configuration screens on the DLINK that you have. So, if you could post the model #, someone else may be able to help you there. I could also help once you do that, as I would search online for the users manual.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

Wired direct, still don't work so it's not he router blocking it.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggggg

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Well, that was not what I expected to happen.

Ok, lets review: As far as you can tell, you have disabled or uninstalled all of the firewalls and AV that you know of on your computer. You have also removed your router from the equation.

Yet, the program still does not work: you get the same error as you did when you started this thread....the program will not start up.

Would it be possible to provide the name of this "poker client"? I would like to do some research on this and see what I can find out about it. Also, is it possible to download the game from the internet (either the game is free, or if you have to pay for it, do they offer a free trial)? I ask as I'm running Windows 7, and maybe running it myself could help solve this mystery.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

To be clear, I do not get an error message. It just starts to start (little grey box comes up and goes)

Poker client is Lock Poker

»lockpoker.eu/

Download if free. Loaded it on wife's laptop and it works fine, but she's using Vista on it.

As I said, had it before and it was fine.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 recommendation

reply to ez2cy

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3
Click for full size
Picture #4
I went ahead and downloaded the client, which as you said is called "Lock Poker".

Ran the install, and tested it. It currently does run on my system without any problems. Of course, I don't have the Windows Firewall on, and the service is also disabled. For my Smoothwall express firewall, I allow all connections to the internet that are initiated on the LAN side out without question.

So, then I did a quick test to see what would happen if I'm not connected to the internet (I disabled my NIC). I did this to try to compare what is going on for you. Let me explain what I'm seeing.

When I first click on the icon, I get what is shown in Picture #1. The grayish colored box with the clock in the middle.

That then goes away, and I see what is shown in Picture #2.

If I'm not connected to the internet, I get what is shown in Picture #3. However, if I am, I the game loads, and I see what is shown in Picture #4.

My question is, how far do you get? Do you get the error message at the end?

Later today, I am going to play with my smoothwall firewall, and see if I can get it to "block" whatever it is doing to go out, and see if it is a specific port that is required (or if it uses the default web port, which is 80).

I am also curious if you can ping and do an nslookup to "update.playdata.co.uk". That appears to be the server (or host) that it is trying to get to when I'm not connected to the internet. I would assume that each time the game loads, it goes to the same host. If you cannot resolve that name, that could also be a reason you cannot play the game on your specific machine.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

I get as far as pic 1, the grey box with clock, it goes away and nothing.

Not sure what you are meaning by the ping and the update.playdata.co.uk/ Kinda computer idiot here.

I put in my url addy and got a blank white page with

Server Name: WEB 1

Not sure if that was what you wanted me to do or not. ????

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

No problem as far as what I asked you to do with ping and nslookup. Putting "update.playdata.co.uk" into the URL address spot and having your browser return "Server Name: WEB 1" shows that your computer can resolve the name. For what its worth, when I do the same thing, I get "Server Name: WEB 2"

Ping and nslookup are DOS commands, and what they could show is if your computer is having any issues getting to the site. Knowing your browser was able to resolve it, you do not have any DNS issues or routing issue. So, it goes back to something is blocking the game itself (again, could be a port).

I am kind of busy the next few days, but if I get a chance, I'll try to configure my smoothwall express firewall and see if I can get it to "break" like it does on your computer, and then see what I find out.

Hang in there...we'll get this solved yet.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

ty for your effort, appreciate it.
Jim

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 edit

Picture #1

Picture #2
Sorry it took a few days, but I did get around to testing this again.

Instead of unplugging my network cable, I set my firewall up to block everything by default. So, unless I explicitly opened a port (like 80 to browse the web), nothing was going out to the internet from my machine. I then closed down all my applications, so that the only thing that should access the internet was this game.

I then cleared my logs, and was set to test.

I ran the application, and I got the grayish box with the clock in the middle for a few seconds. Then, that went away and I got the "Finding Servers" box. That stayed on the screen for at least 3 to 5 minutes. Then, I got the box that I'm showing in this post as Picture #1.

When I looked at my firewall logs, I noticed the following destination IP was being logged: 200.26.205.38. The port it wanted open was 443, which is for HTTPS.

I then went and allowed Port 443, and tried again.

Same scenario as the first time, but at the end, I got a different box. This one is shown in Picture #2.

I then went and looked at my firewall logs, and noticed the following destination IP's being logged.

They all wanted to use port # 8148.

I then went and allowed port 8148 to have access through the firewall.

Once I did that, the game loaded without problem, and no new logs were generated.

So, it appears to me that somehow, both Port 443 and 8148 are being blocked on your system. Depending on what is actually installed, it may be some effort to track that down.

But, from what I can tell, if those ports are not open, the game will not load.

--Brian

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

I would bet that when you uninstalled it did not remove everything it should from the registry and there is a conflict. Do they have a special program to uninstall or clean the registry afterwards.

ez2cy

reply to plencnerb

Thanks for your effort.

You get one more step than I did though. I never get anything but the grey box with clock in it for brief few seconds and then nothing.

No idea how to check ports.

ez2cy

reply to Hank

I have a program I believe. I have one that will clean registaries. don't think I've done it right after the unistall, but do it regularly.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to ez2cy

said by ez2cy:

Thanks for your effort.

You get one more step than I did though. I never get anything but the grey box with clock in it for brief few seconds and then nothing.

No idea how to check ports.

No problem. I'm always glad to help out.

As far as you not getting as far as me, there is another question that I though of, and something I did not test. Is the account you are using to run the game part of the local administrator group, or is it a standard user account? I'm thinking maybe a rights issue, but if it was, I would think you would see the standard Windows 7 pop up box asking for a username / password (the program should not just quit). But, I have seen cases where rights were an issue, and things did just stop working. Short version of a long story is I was writing a VB program to create an excel file with data....part of the process was to copy a template file to the actual file name, open the real file, and populate the data. Due to permissions, part of that process did not work. I never got an error message, but whatever account the VB app was running under did not have the proper permissions to do the actions I wanted. Moving the files to a place where I had permissions fixed the problem (or running everything as the local administrator).

So, that is why I asked about the account, and what permissions you have. In my case, I am using a local account (not the administrator), but I am part of the administrators group.

As far as how to check ports, that would depend on what software firewall(s) you are running (Windows Firewall, AVG, Norton, etc, etc), as well as what make/model of Router you have.

Didn't you say a few posts back that you installed the program on another computer in your house and it worked fine? If that is the case, then I don't think your router would be blocking it..it has to be something local on your own computer. If my memory is correct on this, then I'm leaning towards a software program doing the blocking of the port (if that indeed is the problem). While I don't know for sure, but I have heard stories on here where people had a software firewall installed on their PC, did not like it, and did an uninstall...however, something was left behind (reg key, files, etc) and it still was somewhat running and causing issues. So, we may have to figure out what firewall / AV software you had, and verify that all traces of it have been removed (services, reg keys, files, folders, etc).

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

I run the puter as admin. Always have and it worked before.

I don't have anything that I know of for an AV or Firewall etc. that I deleted, ie tried and didn't like.

I did do a security clean up though this site and the guys.?????

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ez2cy

ez2cy, you said that is an issue with playing games at "pogo".. as far as i know, most games at "pogo" rely on "java".. maybe it is an issue with the "java" that you have on your computer? are you using the lastest version of "java", either the 6.x version or the 7.x version?

again, i am thinking that the problem might be related to "java".. if you are using an outdated version of "java", it is possible that your browser is blocking it from running, due to security vulnerabilities that older versions of java have.. or, it is possible that you disabled "java"..

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

redwolfe_98,

I'm the one that said something about Pogo in regards to ports that needed to be opened on my firewall. I made that reference to show that there are games out there that use odd ports in order to work correctly, and that it was quite a process for me to figure it out.

The OP's question is in regards to a game called "LOCK POKER". A few posts back, the OP did include a link to download the game from their webpage (which I did, and have been using to test different things on my end).

The other thing I would like the OP to try next is to look at the event logs in Windows, and see if anything at all shows up. The cool thing about the event viewer in Windows 7 is the summary page....you get a breakdown count of different types of events (Security, Information, Warning, Error, and Critical) right from one screen. From there, you can drill down and see the actual events.

I would like the OP to go into the event viewer, clear all the logs so you are left with just 2 events. One security, and one informational. Then, run the game. It will probably still fail and not load, but that's ok. Then, go back and re-fresh the event viewer list, and see what we get.

I would think that in some log somewhere, there will be something. Applications just don't "stop working" like that and not throw some kind of windows event.

Ez2cy, if you need help in trying to clear the windows events and do that test, let me know, and I'll give you more detailed steps.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

Thanks Brian.

I found the events logs for windows as you described. I can't figure out which ones I go into and how to delete.

I'll keep looking at it, but can you give me a detailed step by step please?

ty

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Click for full size
Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3

Picture #4

Picture #5

Click for full size
Picture #6
Of course!

Picture #1 shows the event viewer screen. I have this so we can make sure that you are starting at the same place.

Once there, left-click on the little arrow next to "Windows Logs" to show the items in that list. This is shown in Picture #2.

Then, right-click on each item in that list (Application, Security, Setup, and System). When you do the right-click, you'll see the menu I have shown in Picture #3.

Select "Clear log". A box (shown in Picture #4) will come up. Click on the "Clear" Button.

Do this for each one, in the order I listed.

Once done, click on the top item in the event viewer "Event Viewer (Local)" to highlight it. Then, right-click with the mouse over it. That should give you the menu I have shown in Picture #5.

Select "Refresh" and that should refresh the bottom part (where it has the summary).

You should then have something close to the picture that I have posted as Picture #6. You may have more information events then just one, but that is OK. There are ways to clear that down to one event, but as long as the Critical, Error, and Warning events are 0, you should be good.

Then, go launch your application. Once it fails (and we know it will), go back here and refresh the events again.

Hopefully, you will have some events listed under Warning or Error (or maybe even Critical). If you do, post some screen shots of them, as they could tell us why the application failed to run.

--Brian.
--
--Brian Plencner