join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to ez2cy

Re: [WIN7] Program being blocked?

Picture #1

Picture #2
Sorry it took a few days, but I did get around to testing this again.

Instead of unplugging my network cable, I set my firewall up to block everything by default. So, unless I explicitly opened a port (like 80 to browse the web), nothing was going out to the internet from my machine. I then closed down all my applications, so that the only thing that should access the internet was this game.

I then cleared my logs, and was set to test.

I ran the application, and I got the grayish box with the clock in the middle for a few seconds. Then, that went away and I got the "Finding Servers" box. That stayed on the screen for at least 3 to 5 minutes. Then, I got the box that I'm showing in this post as Picture #1.

When I looked at my firewall logs, I noticed the following destination IP was being logged: 200.26.205.38. The port it wanted open was 443, which is for HTTPS.

I then went and allowed Port 443, and tried again.

Same scenario as the first time, but at the end, I got a different box. This one is shown in Picture #2.

I then went and looked at my firewall logs, and noticed the following destination IP's being logged.

They all wanted to use port # 8148.

I then went and allowed port 8148 to have access through the firewall.

Once I did that, the game loaded without problem, and no new logs were generated.

So, it appears to me that somehow, both Port 443 and 8148 are being blocked on your system. Depending on what is actually installed, it may be some effort to track that down.

But, from what I can tell, if those ports are not open, the game will not load.

--Brian

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

I would bet that when you uninstalled it did not remove everything it should from the registry and there is a conflict. Do they have a special program to uninstall or clean the registry afterwards.

ez2cy

join:2008-03-05
reply to plencnerb

Thanks for your effort.

You get one more step than I did though. I never get anything but the grey box with clock in it for brief few seconds and then nothing.

No idea how to check ports.

ez2cy

reply to Hank

I have a program I believe. I have one that will clean registaries. don't think I've done it right after the unistall, but do it regularly.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to ez2cy

said by ez2cy:

Thanks for your effort.

You get one more step than I did though. I never get anything but the grey box with clock in it for brief few seconds and then nothing.

No idea how to check ports.

No problem. I'm always glad to help out.

As far as you not getting as far as me, there is another question that I though of, and something I did not test. Is the account you are using to run the game part of the local administrator group, or is it a standard user account? I'm thinking maybe a rights issue, but if it was, I would think you would see the standard Windows 7 pop up box asking for a username / password (the program should not just quit). But, I have seen cases where rights were an issue, and things did just stop working. Short version of a long story is I was writing a VB program to create an excel file with data....part of the process was to copy a template file to the actual file name, open the real file, and populate the data. Due to permissions, part of that process did not work. I never got an error message, but whatever account the VB app was running under did not have the proper permissions to do the actions I wanted. Moving the files to a place where I had permissions fixed the problem (or running everything as the local administrator).

So, that is why I asked about the account, and what permissions you have. In my case, I am using a local account (not the administrator), but I am part of the administrators group.

As far as how to check ports, that would depend on what software firewall(s) you are running (Windows Firewall, AVG, Norton, etc, etc), as well as what make/model of Router you have.

Didn't you say a few posts back that you installed the program on another computer in your house and it worked fine? If that is the case, then I don't think your router would be blocking it..it has to be something local on your own computer. If my memory is correct on this, then I'm leaning towards a software program doing the blocking of the port (if that indeed is the problem). While I don't know for sure, but I have heard stories on here where people had a software firewall installed on their PC, did not like it, and did an uninstall...however, something was left behind (reg key, files, etc) and it still was somewhat running and causing issues. So, we may have to figure out what firewall / AV software you had, and verify that all traces of it have been removed (services, reg keys, files, folders, etc).

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

ez2cy

I run the puter as admin. Always have and it worked before.

I don't have anything that I know of for an AV or Firewall etc. that I deleted, ie tried and didn't like.

I did do a security clean up though this site and the guys.?????

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ez2cy

ez2cy, you said that is an issue with playing games at "pogo".. as far as i know, most games at "pogo" rely on "java".. maybe it is an issue with the "java" that you have on your computer? are you using the lastest version of "java", either the 6.x version or the 7.x version?

again, i am thinking that the problem might be related to "java".. if you are using an outdated version of "java", it is possible that your browser is blocking it from running, due to security vulnerabilities that older versions of java have.. or, it is possible that you disabled "java"..

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

redwolfe_98,

I'm the one that said something about Pogo in regards to ports that needed to be opened on my firewall. I made that reference to show that there are games out there that use odd ports in order to work correctly, and that it was quite a process for me to figure it out.

The OP's question is in regards to a game called "LOCK POKER". A few posts back, the OP did include a link to download the game from their webpage (which I did, and have been using to test different things on my end).

The other thing I would like the OP to try next is to look at the event logs in Windows, and see if anything at all shows up. The cool thing about the event viewer in Windows 7 is the summary page....you get a breakdown count of different types of events (Security, Information, Warning, Error, and Critical) right from one screen. From there, you can drill down and see the actual events.

I would like the OP to go into the event viewer, clear all the logs so you are left with just 2 events. One security, and one informational. Then, run the game. It will probably still fail and not load, but that's ok. Then, go back and re-fresh the event viewer list, and see what we get.

I would think that in some log somewhere, there will be something. Applications just don't "stop working" like that and not throw some kind of windows event.

Ez2cy, if you need help in trying to clear the windows events and do that test, let me know, and I'll give you more detailed steps.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

Thanks Brian.

I found the events logs for windows as you described. I can't figure out which ones I go into and how to delete.

I'll keep looking at it, but can you give me a detailed step by step please?

ty

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Click for full size
Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3

Picture #4

Picture #5

Click for full size
Picture #6
Of course!

Picture #1 shows the event viewer screen. I have this so we can make sure that you are starting at the same place.

Once there, left-click on the little arrow next to "Windows Logs" to show the items in that list. This is shown in Picture #2.

Then, right-click on each item in that list (Application, Security, Setup, and System). When you do the right-click, you'll see the menu I have shown in Picture #3.

Select "Clear log". A box (shown in Picture #4) will come up. Click on the "Clear" Button.

Do this for each one, in the order I listed.

Once done, click on the top item in the event viewer "Event Viewer (Local)" to highlight it. Then, right-click with the mouse over it. That should give you the menu I have shown in Picture #5.

Select "Refresh" and that should refresh the bottom part (where it has the summary).

You should then have something close to the picture that I have posted as Picture #6. You may have more information events then just one, but that is OK. There are ways to clear that down to one event, but as long as the Critical, Error, and Warning events are 0, you should be good.

Then, go launch your application. Once it fails (and we know it will), go back here and refresh the events again.

Hopefully, you will have some events listed under Warning or Error (or maybe even Critical). If you do, post some screen shots of them, as they could tell us why the application failed to run.

--Brian.
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

Click for full size
not sure I did right or not.

ez2cy

Is this something? Tried doing things a couple of times or 3..LOL

ez2cy

Click for full size
dang..didn't upload

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Well, looking at the pictures, I'm seeing a few things.

1) It looks like your computer is not getting an IP address from your router (that is the one you have selected). If that is really the case, then nothing would be working at all from that unit, as you would not be connected to the internet at all!

I would like to see what the error message right below that one is (the first Kernel-Event Tracking @ 6:55 AM), as that looks like it happened just before the DHCP error.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

Click for full size
Click for full size
I'm sorry, I'm trying to help you help me but sometimes I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing.

Attaching 2 screenshots, hope this is what you are looking for?

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to ez2cy

Remove IPv6
Well, I did some research on those errors. I don't think they are related to the program not working, but errors are still errors, and should probably be fixed. Once we get a "clean" log, then we can focus again on solving the problem at hand...of course, we could get lucky and what we do to fix these errors actually fixes your main problem!

So, looking at the DHCP error you posted this morning, that has to do with IPv6 not getting a proper IP address from your router. By default, Windows 7 enables both IPv4 and IPv6 on the network card. There is a really good chance that you don't have an IPv6 router, and more important, the need for that yet, so you can just turn that off.

To disable IPv6, and remove that error, go into the control pane, then click on "Network and Sharing Center", then Change adapter setting. Right-click on your current network adapter, and go to properties. You should get a screen similar to what I posted above. Uncheck the box for "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" and then click OK.

As far as the other issue (the kernel-event tracking one), it appears that there is a file that you can just delete to solve that. The file is

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Client\Support\EppOobe.etl

Now, I don't know if these two issues are the root cause of the game not working, but it probably would not hurt to get the resolved. I'm one who likes a "clean" event log, and will try to track down any errors that are in there. I figure if I can fix the errors that show up, other things that are not working right may start working again.

Let me know if you need more info on the above steps. Once we get these resolved and you have a clean event log, then we can try running the program again and see what shows up.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

Click for full size
Ok...did what you said. Don't think I read right.

I refreshed etc then tried to run program and looked at it again. Attached is the screenshot.

Where you live? Am I going to owe you a nite out on the town? or my first born?

ez2cy

I should say also....every once in awhile I'll get a message that there is another computer in the house with the same IP address....please see your admin...????? Don't even remember where or when I see it, but it's once every few days to a week?

ez2cy

trying to look up things....but...I WON"T DO ANYTHING.....LOL

»www.wiki-errors.com/wiki-errors.···80070002

for the one error?

ez2cy

»technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr···10).aspx

another one? says something about starting and stopping a program?

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Ok, I'm going to make a suggestion here, that may make things easier.

There is a program called "Teamviewer", that you can download from the link below.

»www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Once installed, you can PM me your ID and password, and while you sit in front of your computer, I can connect in and look at things, try to fix things, etc. All with you in front of it.

And, if you want, you can talk to me via Skype or phone (which ever is easier), while I work. I can give you my skype name or phone # via PM if you like.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

Hi Brian;

Thanks for the offer, which I will take you up on. I have both programs already for use in Poker coaching. My Skype is jimjed.

Not sure when best time for you is. I'm mostly free all the time. Just doing a skybot scan now....

Jim

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Jim,

Sorry its been a few days since my last reply, but I was working on fixing two systems at my place. My mom's friend dropped off a Dell Laptop (running Vista) and a HP Desktop (running XP).

I just finished both of them up, so I'm free again to help you resolve this issue.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ez2cy

Ok, as I said...I'm on most times and posted my skype name.

thanks;
Jim