how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Max Mouse

join:2010-02-28
reply to bilgo

Re: letter to hughesnet Champs

Are they high or something? 1% what the current plan got to do with Gen4... If Gen4 is faster internet....people are going to be using way more than 10GB a month.. so their 1% crap excuse is false and invalid... favorable reviews is also a lie I seen so many complaints about Gen4 removing fap and small Allowance in their community forum I rarely saw anybody had a good reaction out of it..

Expand your moderator at work

Cheap

@direcway.com

Re: letter to hughesnet Champs

Easy answer ...... T1 Connections to serve rural areas. T1's are dyeing any how...... They are Way Way over priced becouse they are marketed as a business connection, and could have a better purpose providing cheap internet connections for rural customers.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

said by Cheap :

Easy answer ...... T1 Connections to serve rural areas. T1's are dyeing any how...... They are Way Way over priced becouse they are marketed as a business connection, and could have a better purpose providing cheap internet connections for rural customers.

You appear to have a distinct misunderstanding of what a T-1 connection is, why it costs so much, and why it is inappropriate for those unwilling to pay that high cost.

I have a T-1, and use it to serve my ecommerce web sites. I pay through the nose for it, over $600 per month (It was over $1200 when I got it a dozen years ago). Because that bandwidth is so precious I don't want my employees using it to watch their favorite youtube videos (I have a liberal policy concerning internet use at work), so I pay another $50 per month to provide a 6 meg DSL line to be used for anything they want as long as it is legal and conforms to workplace etiquette.

Don't you think I would be using that DSL for serving my ecommerce websites if it was adequate? 4 times the bandwidth for 1/12th the cost! Sorry, the DSL line is simply inadequate for that purpose.

Similarly the relatively slow 1.5Mbps T-1 is a poor choice for serious web surfing in this video age.

Study the differences between dedicated bandwidth (the T-1) and shared bandwidth (the DSL). Then when you have done that note what dedicated bandwidth over satellite costs: In the neighborhood of $4,000 per month for 1Mbps!

Note also that a big consideration of a T-1 is its synchronous nature. I need very little downstream speed, but I use all of that 1.5Mbps outgoing. The 6Mbps DSL comes only with 768Kbps on the out side, and only rarely actually achieves that.

Since all terrestrial communication from a particular rural location generally rides on the same physical carrier, using the carrier up with dedicated lines when they aren't needed 24 hours per day is just plain crazy.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool