spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Pollux7777
join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Pollux7777

GW2: So what's the verdict?

Seeing a lot of threads on GW2..... guild info, screenshots, etc...

What are people's overall impressions of the game? Worth the wait? Overhyped?

I have played WoW since it was released in 2004, and its the only MMO I have ever played. I love it, but I'm getting sick of it. Especially with the latest patch, they re-did a bunch of stuff and I dont like the changes.

Is GW2 worth my money? I'm looking for something that will last a LONG TIME.

I really don't want this to be another Diablo 3 situation where I get bored in a month.

What do you guys think?
ohh
join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA

ohh

I like GW2, but I think the company is filled with dickheads. They banned a guy for crafting massive amounts of food then NPCing them because he was obviously making too much money.. ? lol...

And they also banned a bunch of people for buying too many weapons from a NPC that was selling them too cheap.

I'm gonna be selling my GW2 account if they keep doing that shit (maybe).

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo

Premium Member

said by ohh:

I like GW2, but I think the company is filled with dickheads. They banned a guy for crafting massive amounts of food then NPCing them because he was obviously making too much money.. ? lol...

And they also banned a bunch of people for buying too many weapons from a NPC that was selling them too cheap.

#1 Probably bullshit and you didn't get the whole story.
#2 I don't thing anyone will need to explain that one.

My impressions....

This is the first game in probably ~5 years that I'm scared will take over my life. Okay, not really take over, but it's very well done. I don't have a single flaw to point out. I really don't. I enjoy every single aspect of this game and the more I play, the less I want to log out (as I've stated in another thread). The game is beautiful, immersive, fun, and not overhyped at all. If anything, you really won't know how good this game is until you actually play it. I would've bought the CE of this had I known it was going to be this good.

Don't let the "omgerd this guy and that guyt and she and he got banned because of buying too much stuff...." keep you away from playing. ArenaNet is doing an amazing job at keeping the GW2 community as "clean" as possible.

Pollux7777
Saint Paul, MN

Pollux7777

Thanks for your replies. Do you think this game has some longevity to it?

I worry a little that since there is no monthly fee, there will be a lack of new content released.

What is the end game? Raids? PvP?

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Pollux7777

Premium Member

to Pollux7777
said by Pollux7777:

Seeing a lot of threads on GW2..... guild info, screenshots, etc...

What are people's overall impressions of the game? Worth the wait? Overhyped?

I have played WoW since it was released in 2004, and its the only MMO I have ever played. I love it, but I'm getting sick of it. Especially with the latest patch, they re-did a bunch of stuff and I dont like the changes.

I really don't want this to be another Diablo 3 situation where I get bored in a month.

What do you guys think?

My impression? It's badass, and worth every dollar.

The game runs beautiful. Looks absolutely stunning. And the biggest thing for me personally? It's completely immersive. I can't say any of those things about SWTOR when I tried it at release last year.

I was a long time WoW player also, and GW is finally a breath of fresh air and completely wipes away the staleness.
said by Pollux7777:

Dude, you could probably spend 6 months just trying to explore all the areas of the map in this game. I'm level 32 and I've only discovered 10% of the total world map so far. 10%!

The more time I spend on my character in this game, the more intriguing it's becoming. I'm learning there's a pretty deep and sophisticated talent build system, and character customization.

Are there some quirks with this game so far? Of course. There are some things I think they can change or improve upon. I'm sure those will come in some upcoming patches.

The positives far outweigh any negatives though.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Pollux7777

Premium Member

to Pollux7777
It's definitely worth it. I plan on skipping MOP and cancelling my WOW account as soon as my year is up.

I love that Anet is being proactive and banning people for exploits and abusing other players (the "buying too many weapons" was exploiting an incorrect price and they only banned people who did it more than 100 times" while still allowing them to get back in after 3 days). Hopefully they keep most of the gold sellers and dickheads away from the game with their zero-tolerance policies.

Graphics are gorgeous and polish is everywhere. The combat system is fun and there are a lot of possibilities with different weapon combinations. The attack styles are approaching Dragon Age 2 in polish while the fighting is a lot like The Witcher 2--you have to dodge/avoid attacks.
ohh
San Jose, CA

ohh to Pollux7777

to Pollux7777
said by Pollux7777:

I worry a little that since there is no monthly fee, there will be a lack of new content released.

The game is huge, lots of pve and pvp to do. If you are worried about not spending money I would not be. (Unless you get banned for selling crap to NPCs). Anet released a few expansion packs for GW1 so I figure they will do that for GW2 as well.

PVP is really fun... there seems to always be new weapon combos or strategies to try out.

Just keep in mind it is easy to get banned.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by ohh:

said by Pollux7777:

The game is huge, lots of pve and pvp to do. If you are worried about not spending money I would not be. (Unless you get banned for selling crap to NPCs). Anet released a few expansion packs for GW1 so I figure they will do that for GW2 as well.

PVP is really fun... there seems to always be new weapon combos or strategies to try out.

Just keep in mind it is easy to get banned.

Damn dude. You really got a hang up with Anet banning people.

It's easy to get banned if you're being a stupid fuckstick. They aren't just randomly banning people playing the game the way it's meant to be played.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to ohh

Premium Member

to ohh
lol, you sound pretty bitter about the whole banned thing...

I disagree that it is "easy to get banned." It may be easy if you are used to directing racist/abusive vitriol at other players without consequence, or find a bug in the game and knowingly exploit it.

I'll take with a grain of salt any claim of a person who was banned for innocently or unknowingly exploiting something. Remember that once Anet started providing the assholes with the text that got them banned, they all disappeared.

I bet most of these "I'm innocent!" claims are bullshit.

In a case where Anet goofs up, I'm sure they'll let the player back in. Heck, they are doing that for the ones who knowingly exploited the weapon sale bug by reselling it over 100 times.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Pollux7777

Premium Member

to Pollux7777
I received a 24hr ban in WoW the night Cataclysm released. What was I doing you ask? Using an exploit to fish up Cataclysm fish before the expansion even released.

I could have argued until I was blue in the face to Blizzard that it wasn't my fault they allowed people to be able access new expansion areas in the game before they even released.

It's the same thing with GW.
ohh
San Jose, CA

ohh to Pollux7777

to Pollux7777
Yeah, simply put I do not care for that kind of authority. I guess I do not hold the same contempt for "exploiters" as most people do. (I did not get banned btw). Does this anger you? I am just telling the OP the game is fun except for anet being twats about stupid shit. This is all just my opinion though as you gave your opinions.

Pollux7777
Saint Paul, MN

Pollux7777

The "banning issue" doesnt bother me at all. In fact, I encourage it. Whenever I see a player WoW trade chat spamming gold or using racist slurs, I'm the first guy to report him.

Alright, well you guys are really convincing me to go ahead and buy it.

Hey Kris, I bet GW2 would look really nice with that GTX 570 you recommended, eh?

Fuck, I need moar money!
ohh
San Jose, CA

ohh

Pollux see if gamefly still has their sale code! If they do you can get it for 47.99$ =)

Fiftycals
El Paso, TX

Fiftycals to Pollux7777

to Pollux7777
As with every other MMO that has come out in the last 5 years it's really hard to tell the longevity of the game so early. When I first started RIFT I felt it had longevity, gave it up in a month. When I started SWTOR I felt it had longevity, gave that up in a month. Only 2 games I have continously played for more than a year in is wow (Since Vanilla) and League of Legends. I'm holding my breath on this game due to the fact I've spoken too soon on the last few. Is it worth the $60? Yes! Especially being no monthly fee. The game has a ton of depth. I really applaud Anet for how fluid the combat system is, that's the biggest + for me.

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer to Pollux7777

Premium Member

to Pollux7777
IMHO the game is "okay"...

One thing I really dont like is the fact that combat seems to be 80% the "default" auto attack.

Its kinda neat that all professions have healing abilities but at the same time it means that nobody heals "really well".

Additionally the fact that the Trading Post (Auction House) is still not working is honestly laughable in this day and age.

I like crafting and selling, but this part of my gameplay has really yet to get started.
Josof
join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA

Josof to Pollux7777

to Pollux7777
said by Pollux7777:

What do you guys think?

It's the first game since WoW that gave me the same feeling as my first time stepping in Azeroth back in 06.
The combat is awesome and engaging, the world is huge, and the leveling in itself is well done.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Pollux7777

Premium Member

to Pollux7777
I was online for like 20 hours yesterday. Just goofing off. 20 hours! I've never, ever done that with a game before. I looked at the clock and it was 5 in the morning. I just woke up and am getting ready to log back in. It's addictive.

Ratman_84
join:2002-01-31
Sacramento, CA

Ratman_84 to Pollux7777

to Pollux7777
FOR ANYONE WHO CAN'T GET INTO THE SERVER THEY WANT....

You have to join a non-full server. Then create a character. Once in the game world logout, back to the screen you select the server you want, and there will be a "Transfer" button. Use that to transfer your character to the desired server for free. Eventually they will charge in-game currency for this, but it's free for now.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

For two more days...

Gundy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-29

1 recommendation

Gundy to ohh

Premium Member

to ohh
said by ohh:

They banned him because he showed this 'exploit' to over 7k viewers on justin.tv which EASILY could destroy the economy of the game. Seriously dude, you should read more information about these issues. If it wasn't an exploit, why did arenanet patch the issue, as well as raise karma weapon pricing, AND state it was an exploit in their announcements. Exploiting = bans, simple. The main problem with this is the streamer could've turned his 'endless exploited game currency' into gems which are purchased from real life currency.

Oh and stupid names = bans as well. Finally a company that has no tolerance for McCuntyFlappyLips.

Nightshade
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Salem, OR

Nightshade to Pollux7777

Premium Member

to Pollux7777
said by Pollux7777:

The "banning issue" doesnt bother me at all. In fact, I encourage it. Whenever I see a player WoW trade chat spamming gold or using racist slurs, I'm the first guy to report him.

Alright, well you guys are really convincing me to go ahead and buy it.

Hey Kris, I bet GW2 would look really nice with that GTX 570 you recommended, eh?

Fuck, I need moar money!

I have a GTX 580 and I tell you without question that this game is beautiful.

Totally recommend it.
Frontstar
join:2012-09-03

Frontstar to Pollux7777

to Pollux7777
Was the game overhyped? Yes
Is the game worth to play? Yes

But now to the real critic. I just want to talk about the PvP, because that is the main focus of mine. The biggest problem right now is that the pvp servers are down in Europe. So i couldnt play as much as i wanted. But when it worked, the experience was great because of the big diversity of skills. You have so many options how to play you character. Some people say that their are too much options, but thats okay for me.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

i agree with this, for me its been a blast leveling my engineer talking on guild chat or on Mumble server. I logged on WoW to see the new changes and I will quote Steve "Not tonight" was my thought and it has been since last week.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to Frontstar

Premium Member

to Frontstar
Just noticed your join date. Welcome!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to Frontstar

Premium Member

to Frontstar
Welcome to the forums!

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Pollux7777

Premium Member

to Pollux7777
My account is hacked. Waiting on a trouble ticket to get my account back.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs

Premium Member

said by Exodus:

I won't be on for a while, can another officer demote Arch till he can get his account back?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I will do it when I get home.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to Exodus

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

Have a speculation on how you were compromised? Keylogger, Phished?

I know a couple other who are awaiting NCsoft atm, personally it's lazy for NCsoft to release a modern popular MMO with no offline 2nd method authentication.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

That likely means you have another account out there with the same email address for username and the same password that was compromised and is in a spreadsheet out there floating around in the nether.

I suggest you change your username and password for any other matching sites.

That, and you possibly have a keylogger sitting on your computer.