share rss forum feed

Nightshade
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Salem, OR
reply to Pollux7777

Re: GW2: So what's the verdict?

said by Pollux7777:

The "banning issue" doesnt bother me at all. In fact, I encourage it. Whenever I see a player WoW trade chat spamming gold or using racist slurs, I'm the first guy to report him.

Alright, well you guys are really convincing me to go ahead and buy it.

Hey Kris, I bet GW2 would look really nice with that GTX 570 you recommended, eh?

Fuck, I need moar money!

I have a GTX 580 and I tell you without question that this game is beautiful.

Totally recommend it.
--
The true patriot is motivated by a sense of responsibility, and out of self interest for himself, his family, and the future of his country to resist government abuse of power. He rejects the notion that patriotism means obedience to the state.

Frontstar

join:2012-09-03
reply to Pollux7777
Was the game overhyped? Yes
Is the game worth to play? Yes

But now to the real critic. I just want to talk about the PvP, because that is the main focus of mine. The biggest problem right now is that the pvp servers are down in Europe. So i couldnt play as much as i wanted. But when it worked, the experience was great because of the big diversity of skills. You have so many options how to play you character. Some people say that their are too much options, but thats okay for me.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
i agree with this, for me its been a blast leveling my engineer talking on guild chat or on Mumble server. I logged on WoW to see the new changes and I will quote Steve "Not tonight" was my thought and it has been since last week.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
reply to Frontstar
Just noticed your join date. Welcome!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Frontstar
Welcome to the forums!

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Pollux7777
My account is hacked. Waiting on a trouble ticket to get my account back.

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
said by Archivis:

I won't be on for a while, can another officer demote Arch till he can get his account back?
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
I will do it when I get home.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

Have a speculation on how you were compromised? Keylogger, Phished?

I know a couple other who are awaiting NCsoft atm, personally it's lazy for NCsoft to release a modern popular MMO with no offline 2nd method authentication.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

That likely means you have another account out there with the same email address for username and the same password that was compromised and is in a spreadsheet out there floating around in the nether.

I suggest you change your username and password for any other matching sites.

That, and you possibly have a keylogger sitting on your computer.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

I will do it when I get home.

Just did it.

There was no unusual activity in the Guild Vault.

Jay_
Formerly known as Carnage
Premium
join:2001-05-15
Pickering On
kudos:2
reply to ohh
said by ohh:

I like GW2, but I think the company is filled with dickheads. They banned a guy for crafting massive amounts of food then NPCing them because he was obviously making too much money.. ? lol...

And they also banned a bunch of people for buying too many weapons from a NPC that was selling them too cheap.

I'm gonna be selling my GW2 account if they keep doing that shit (maybe).

1 - Kripp (the guy you are referring to about the food situation) was initially suspended for 72 hours and then got outright banned for spouting on about on his youtube videos / streams and the fact that his thousands of fan boys flooded their Twitter with rude comments. (I don't play GW2 but I followed Kripp a lot during Diablo 3 since I also played a Barb and watched him play Path of Exile a lot since I was interested in the game). They've since removed the ban and restored his account (once upper management found out the full story).

2 - The people who got "banned" for the weapon thing, most of those were not actual bans, they were suspensions since they felt that people were abusing an obvious bug/oversight on the companie's part.

Just wanted to vote my 2 cents on that comment... GW2 looks like fun to play but I won't be playing it just because I swore to never play an MMO again after quitting WoW.
--
"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't, are both right. Which one are you?"

Ast1

@213.152.245.x
reply to Pollux7777
As someone who wasn't all over the hype for GW2 (I am happy playing Rift so didn't care too much about its release) I can say the game is definitely very good.

I bought it to pass the time while waiting on the Rift expansion and have been enjoying it a lot. But then I enjoyed GW1 so knew Arenanet would bring out a good game. As always it is the decisions on builds that I like most - which weapons to go with, which traits, what utilty skills are best with my build?

Will the game last you years? I don't know about that, I always considered the GW series a casual play kind of game but then again I know people who played GW1 solidly for 5 years, so given how much more there is in GW2 some will definitely find years of joy. But with a one of cost it is definitel worth getting and will certainly last longer than any single player game you might buy.
Also, if you are a big PvPer and have friends to do it with, it will definitely last a long time.

Regarding the bans, I guess it depends on your stance. Personally I am happy Anet are taking a tough stance, it is about time someone did. Anyone with sympathy for the exploiters clearly don't realise the impact they hae on the game. 1 Weapon exploit for personal use, no big issue, but 100s or 1000s? You can single handedly destroy an economy for the server it happens on which can ruin other peoples gameplay. Hell, I am not even happy their bans got reversed to suspensions, but I suppose people sometimes deserve a second chance

And if you give yourself stupidass names you should be suspended just because people are sick of others ignoring naming policies games have.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Krisnatharok
Any idea what software could clean that up? MalwareBytes found nothing.

clawfury

join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI
reply to Pollux7777
The game is beautiful, and engrossing. The quests are fun, the combat is fun. I find the crafting extremely grindy, and the whole "discovery" thing gets old quickly after you realize it's the same old sh*t every tier - just higher level mats. That's nothing new for an MMO, though, most have grindy crafting. Here's the problem - for me, I don't see it having any longevity at all. I've already stopped playing (at lvl 41 guardian). The dungeons and group events completed soured me. Dungeons involve dying over, and over, and over, especially as melee. I'm an experienced MMO'er, and at first you think having no "trinity" is a great idea - but after a couple of runs through AC, i changed my mind. It's boring as hell. Everyone just runs out like a chicken with their head cut off, dying. There is no flow, the mechanics are laughably simple (just extremely punishing). For most of the fight, you just stand there pushing buttons, watching the boss' huge HP pool drop, then BOOM! you're dead. Maybe the boss is telegraphing something, but you can't see through the ridiculous flurry of AOE. I'm not a noob by any means, I am adept at avoiding mechanics. The loot rewards are stupid and useless. Combine this with what they refer to as "group events" - which pretty much involve standing in another giant jumble of AOE watching a ridiculous HP pool slowly drop - and I see no future in it for me. The levelling up and questing and exploring are great, but the part I love most about MMO's is garbage.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to Pollux7777
The game is worth it, hands down. As I've stated in other threads, I'm a huge fanboi of this game, and one of the first (if not the first) here on DSLR that have been waiting on this game for years, and it doesn't disappoint.

Character creation, backstory, starting areas, the zones themselves, combat skills, combat animations....they all had a lot of work put into them and it just shows through everything you do, especially if you realize what it was like before in prior games, and how much "ease of use" and intelligence they've put behind a lot of the functionality.

I would really be surprised that someone coming from WoW wouldn't enjoy the game from at least a "pretty good" to a "damn, that's digital crack" level.

There are more times than I can count on 2 hands (and still occurring) that I've seen a zone, a creature, something that's made my jaw literally drop...it's just well done and beautiful.

Buy it, you won't regret it. (And as far as the banning thing goes, you can pretty much judge for yourself by the responses given here. Most of don't want to put up with the stupid names, idiotic attitudes, and on and on...so, as with everyone else, I find it refreshing (as with many things in this game) that ANet is taking a hard stance on this shit....just makes me love 'em that much more)
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to Pollux7777
The game is beauty. Many times I'm just in awe of the art. The gameplay is really fun and innovative compare to WoW. After this I don't see why anyone would pay for a sub game of the past anymore.
Expand your moderator at work

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

Any idea what software could clean that up? MalwareBytes found nothing.

Start here: »Security Cleanup FAQ »Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance

And then post here: »Security Cleanup

It doesn't take that much time and there are experts there who can quickly identify things the layman (aka me) won't be able to diagnose.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.
Expand your moderator at work

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX
reply to Pollux7777

Wait... Did you guys hear something?

malem83

join:2006-08-25
Quebec, QC
reply to Pollux7777
I did some dungeons (PVE) and I really got to say that I am not sure if I will ever like it. I play as a warrior and therefore, survival is more trivial.

The idea of death zerging bosses until they die is not really fun. Of course, everything is pretty much avoidable but when you are at 10% hp, what can you do ? You have a choice between waiting for you heal skill to be up (which heals you approx. 30% of you hp) or die and come back at full HP which takes 20s, generally.

The rest of the game is pure fun for me.

Public quests can be fun when there are not too many people and you don't have to do race with others to tag mobs in order to get credits for the kill. It's still fun anyway.

Character progression is great. The wait you trait, the weapons you choose, the gear you wear all give distinct feelings and leave you with a lot of room for customisation.

I didn't do any PvP at all but I am sure this is greatly done.

Anyways, the game has a lot of potential and I have a lot of fun for the moment.
--
La vie continue ... / Life goes on ...

nikmagid

join:2001-04-19
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Pollux7777
well, if i could play it for more than 15 minutes without my video card crashing, i'll let you know how it is.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
said by nikmagid:

well, if i could play it for more than 15 minutes without my video card crashing, i'll let you know how it is.

Make sure you go on Amazon and give it a 1 star review because of this.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to Pollux7777
So far I am liking it. A few negatives for me:

1) Only 5 slots with 8 professions. You have to pay $10? per extra slot.

2) If you just do the hearts, you will be below your personal story's (main quest line) very very quickly. I understand dynamic events is a big part of the game, but unless I am running in circles hoping they will spawn, I am behind. I had to go to other beginner zones to catch up, which is bad design to me.

3) Money is too scarce. I understand the need to handle inflation, but you should have enough for basic play. If I have to watch the # of times I teleport between cities (and yes I can go through 10 screens to do the Mist->Lion's Arch, blah blah), that's just too rare. Higher items/vanity should cost, but I should be able to finish the game just going through the game. D3 made this mistake in terms of gear, needing AH to progress.

4) My machine is pretty beefy, 8 logical cores/12 gigs, geforce 580? Most of the time it runs great but occasionally it just hogs down to nothing in big cities/events.

Overall despite these flaws, this game is worth the money. Having a ton of people appear during a dynamic event is very fun. Game is pretty well designed and the professions are pretty varied.

nikmagid

join:2001-04-19
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Ghastlyone
they should have waited to release this until they were sure about the video card bugs. they even tell you to install a "beta" version of the nvidia drivers because they work better with this version.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
They should at least give you a "medium" level in the "graphics quality" dropdown. There's "best appearance" (everything high) and "best performance" (everything low) and "auto detect", which put everything at high for me but sometimes in big cities/events I would be fine at medium but not high, and low is like watercolors paint.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to malem83
said by malem83:

I did some dungeons (PVE) and I really got to say that I am not sure if I will ever like it. I play as a warrior and therefore, survival is more trivial.

The idea of death zerging bosses until they die is not really fun. Of course, everything is pretty much avoidable but when you are at 10% hp, what can you do ? You have a choice between waiting for you heal skill to be up (which heals you approx. 30% of you hp) or die and come back at full HP which takes 20s, generally.

Of all the Champion boss fights I've done in the game so far, I think most other people are getting the wrong idea about the mechanics involved. I've seen people just stand on one spot to try and zerg the boss down. Which ends in most people getting killed.

People have to properly rotate debuffs, cool downs, and heals on some of these fights to do them correctly. You also have to kite some bosses also. Standing on one spot to dps is no longer viable. YOU HAVE TO MOVE AROUND AND DODGE

I got into a champion boss encounter yesterday, with only 3 other people. Between rotating all our CDs and debuffs, and kiting, we managed to get the guy down.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to puppy
said by puppy:

They should at least give you a "medium" level in the "graphics quality" dropdown. There's "best appearance" (everything high) and "best performance" (everything low) and "auto detect", which put everything at high for me but sometimes in big cities/events I would be fine at medium but not high, and low is like watercolors paint.

You can manually set everything to medium if you want. You don't only have the auto detect option to use.