spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mith

@shawcable.net

[AB] Does shaw give internet upgrade deals?

Hi everyone.
I have Shaw 'highspeed' 10, listed as:
10Mbps Down
512Kbps Up
»www.shaw.ca/Internet/High-Speed-10/

I have only recently realized the limits of my connection when I tried streaming gameplay from my computer. Even at the lowest settings my stream is VERY choppy.

SpeedTest.net (I know its not 100% accurate) shows me as:
4.48Mbps Down
486Kbps Up
»www.speedtest.net/result/2154210168.png

My research says I need atleast 2Mbps Upstream to stream video at 720p properly, so I have my sights set on Shaw BroadBand 50 (5Mbps UP!).

Do you know, if I buy the required wireless modem from them ($100) if they would give me a discounted first 6 months if I asked for it?
I have been with shaw for 9 years and have always had the same internet, so I would think they'd repay loyalty with some kind of deal.
What do you think?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

Sometimes...

In my experience, it depends on the agent...

486kbps up, is very close to what you should be getting.

You can also try Extreme with the modem you have 25 down and 2.5 up,
»shaw.ca/Internet/Extreme/

I really like the BB50 plan, for the speeds and the DOCSIS 3 modem.

One question though, do you have TV with Shaw right now as well, if you do, Personal TV? Or the older Basic with tiers?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Mith

@shawcable.net

Hi there Kevinds,

I spoke with an agent on Shaw chat today and she also recommended Extreme.
She said I could have it for $5 more this month (discount) but each month after it would be $10 more than my current plan (regular price).
The upgrade happened 2 minutes later and it definitely worked for my upload.
Download is no where close to 25Mbps but upload is up to 2.1Mbps.
It still does not stream very well though...
The agent said that while BB50 is rated at 5Mbps, it is likely I'd cap at 3Mbps as that is the case in "non upraded areas" (whitehorn).

I do have ShawTV. I have 3 digital cable boxes in my house, and one of them is an HD box.
My bill says "Digital TV/Movies & High-speed"

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Mith

If you are still having issues, it could be your hardware. You running on wireless? Could be your router, switch, etc.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
reply to Mith

The reason I ask,

Business BB50 is $99/month 50/5 - everywhere
Includes Basic TV.

Then to get the channels you have now,

$26 for Tiers 123, and $18/month for Movie Central

$143/month total, and you do not have to buy the modem.

Static IP may be of use to you as well for this.

There is a promo for $20 off for one year as well, which they may or may not give you, because you are opening a new business account at that point.

The reason I upgraded to BB50 the first time, was to get the bonding of the DOCSIS 3 modem, fixed my speed issues.
--

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

Wait, the stream, are you sending the stream? Or receiving it?

I have found a few references to Gameplay online, and all meaning differently.

I am thinking the 3D Game engine? If so, the more speed you can give it, the better. Turning down the quality if you can will help greatly too.
--

Mith

@shawcable.net

I am hooked up to my router via cat6 cable.
No other computers are on in my house (for the purpose of eliminating variables in this test)
My network drivers are fully updated.

As of today...
www.speedtest.shaw.ca shows:
22.4 Mbps DOWN
2.1 Mbps UP

www.speedtest.net shows:
4.86 Mbps DOWN
2.12 Mbps UP

Kevinds, that sounds like an awesome deal!
The SHaw tech agent said I pay $130.95 per month right now
If I upgraded to BB50 she said $154.95 per month.

So, your way that comes to $143 is VERY alluring.
Are you sure the modem does not have to be purchased? According to »www.shaw.ca/Internet/Broadband-50/
it says "Requires a Shaw WiFi Modem. Available to be purchased for $98.00" underneath the price, which is why I am unsure.

I recently purchased a video capture card to capture gameplay from my Playstation 3 and stream it online (up stream) using twitch.tv, a popular website fro live game streaming.

The program I use to stream allows me to adjust:
1- resolution - A wide selecton but I'd like to use 1280x720 or 1920x1080
2- Frames per second(FPS) - 30 or 60
3- bitrate - from 1000kbps to 20,000kbps

Right now the best settings I can stream with (Smoothly) are:
1- 2000kbps because of my upload speed
2- 30fps
3- 1280x720 resolution

As far as I read, 3500kbps bitrate is the true minimum for quality streaming, so I would like that upload speed, idealy

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

At the top of the shaw.ca website,

Look for Business, to switch you to the business plans,

Then Offers or Internet plans, to see the details on the specific plans available.

I'm using my phone right now, otherwise I would post the direct link...

I am confident in the pricing, based on experiences with Shaw Sales team the past couple weeks, and what is posted online.

If you have multiple TVs it may change, it may not.

Maybe Sean can arrange a referal credit for my account

-Posted from my phone.

Mith

@shawcable.net

I found what you speak of:
»www.shaw.ca/Business/Internet-Services/50/

It says absolutely nothing about needing to buy a new modem, so I think my current model could be alright?

It says "Includes business TV", but at that point I'm really not sure on the website to see all the "tier 1,2,3 and movie central" stuff that you mentioned.

The rest of my family would be quite upset if I screwed with what channels they get.

Overall though, if I could get broadband50 without paying for a new modem and keeping all my channels, heck yea I'd get it for $14 more per month! As it stands, I'd be paying $10 more next month just to keep my extreme.

I'd call Shaw up to ask about this stuff now, but I prefer to know EXACTLY what I want before calling them.
Discussing things on the phone with a cable company or a phone company generally lead to being upsold because the fine print wasn't there to read.

Mith

@shawcable.net

Looks like you were right, Kevin.
A Shaw chat agent just confirmed I have "Classic cable with movie central, which is Basic + Tier 1,2,3 + movie central"

She could not tell me how much my monthly bill would be on Business internet 50 if I were to add the required channels to match this. She said I had to call the business line if I wanted to hear about this.
Ohhh boy...

millieddd

@shawcable.net

Some of the servers on Speedtest.net are having problems and can't get above single digit speeds, so you may need to try multiple servers to get an accurate reading.

Shaw2Telus

@shawcable.net
reply to Mith

Shaw give you a discount when you're already a customer? Good luck!

I just signed up for Telus High Speed Turbo 25... 25 Mbps down, 2.5 Mbps up, unbundled and no contract for $30 for the first 6 months and $62 a month afterwards. Compared to the $90 a month I was paying after my Shaw Internet mysteriously went off one afternoon until I called in to discover they had disconnected me and made me do a "manual bump-up" of my Internet and lose my grandfathered discounts...

So in March I'll see what promo deals Shaw has for new sign-ups.

It's sad, but it's really the only way to play this game.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Mith

I know Tiers 1, 2, and 3 are $26/month, and MovieCentral is $18.

You *need* a newer modem for BB50 and above, the DOCSIS 2 modems, will not bond channels, one channel maxes at 37 (40 without overhead) mbps.

The other business accounts I have been involved in lately, none have needed to purchase the modem.
--

Mith

join:2012-09-03
Calgary, AB

While I do not know what a DOCSIS modem is, I have checked my own modem.
It says "SURFboard B5101".
That new enough to function with BB50?

Mith

@shawcable.net
reply to kevinds

said by kevinds:

I know Tiers 1, 2, and 3 are $26/month, and MovieCentral is $18.

You *need* a newer modem for BB50 and above, the DOCSIS 2 modems, will not bond channels, one channel maxes at 37 (40 without overhead) mbps.

The other business accounts I have been involved in lately, none have needed to purchase the modem.

Hi again Kevin, I am not sure what type of modem I have, but upon inspection the front says "SURFboard SB5101".
Would this be considered new enough?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

No, that is a DOCSIS 2 modem, Surfboard 51xx modems are not fast enough for BB50 and above.
--

Mith

Calgary, AB

Ohh okay, so I should buy the new wireless modem in the end it sounds like.
Would I just walk to a Shaw kisok to pick this up for the best/standard deal?

Sorry to be such a bother. If I get this business account, I would happily name you as my referer =D

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

If you get a business account.

You don't need to buy the modem, 95% confident on this, unless it has changed very recently.
--

Mith

Calgary, AB

Ohhh so if I get the business account, they would loan me the modem capable of the business account. I gotcha.

Before I was a little confused as to why I would 1) not need one and 2) need a better modem than what I have.

Well, sounds like I have all my ducks in a row now.
I will call Shaw business and ask them about shaw business 50, that includes basic cable and add on Tier1,2,3 and movie central - and hear what the bottom line will be.

I sure hope they don't pull a "There's a one time $50 activation fee" on me.

Also, do you know if registering a business account puts a person on a 'contract' usually? I'll be avoiding those if I can

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit

No,

The only thing I am not sure about, is if there is a multiple TV charge with Business accounts, or if you have more than one TV.

No, no activation fees, and no contracts on Cable Modem internet service, the better services yes, but not cable.

Worst case, you many need to open a new Shaw account, and transfer your digital terminal and email addresses.

This will be the 3rd account in the last 3 months converting from Residental to Business service that I have been involved in
--

Mith

Calgary, AB

Mannn I work OF COURSE 8am-5pm monday to friday.

Shaw Business sales, each time I have called - closed.

I look online, the hours for shaw residential are posted all over, but not business. So I connect with the business tech support team and yea... Shaw Business Sales are only available...
8am-5pm Monday to friday.

I tried the phone for the 20 minutes I was available at lunch break today and was on hold the whole time. They must take lunch off 1pm-2pm too?

Alright I know I sound like I'm complaining, but this is pissing me off. f*ck.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

Send a private message to Sean here, with your account details, the issue of not getting through, and your questions of what you want done.

He can arrange for it to be done, questions answered, or someone to call you back.

-Posted from my phone.