Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy

Re: [DSL] To Teksavvy: Please offer 15/10

said by nitzguy:

Bell says I qualify for 15/10, but I don't, because I only have ADSL2+ facilities available....its just Bell marketing tactics at work.

That's not marketing tactics. That's outright misleading information to induce you to make a purchase you wouldn't otherwise make.

It's bloody bullshit, and there's no way in hell they should be allowed to do that. If we didn't have such a corrupt regulator they wouldn't.

Mike
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by dillyhammer:

said by nitzguy:

Bell says I qualify for 15/10, but I don't, because I only have ADSL2+ facilities available....its just Bell marketing tactics at work.

That's not marketing tactics. That's outright misleading information to induce you to make a purchase you wouldn't otherwise make.

It's bloody bullshit, and there's no way in hell they should be allowed to do that. If we didn't have such a corrupt regulator they wouldn't.

Mike

I think you can cancel if your not happy getting 15/1 ... but yeah... it's like they purposely miss informing, since they should have a better database then "let's wait till the tech on sight decides".

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by nitzguy:

Mike

I was trying to remain neutral lol, of course its misleading information...I agree with you 100%. It seems counter productive anyways....again, just trying to squeeze things a bit tighter....but as an indie ISP, It'd be foolish to offer 15/10 vs 25/10....not that I'd ever expect that where I live...but for others, sure thing...the question is, what can anyone do about it.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by nitzguy:

said by dillyhammer:

said by nitzguy:

That's not marketing tactics.

That's outright misleading information to induce you to make a purchase you wouldn't otherwise make.

I was trying to remain neutral lol, of course its misleading information...I agree with you 100%....

I too was at first viewing this from a distance, as I only discovered what Bell was saying/doing AFTER seeing TSI's new site and having ITS lookup fail on my location.

I then had checked what Bell's lookup said and it told me 15/10, which I know full well is not supported in our community when even 15/1 is not happening yet in a neighbouring city of SIX times our population. - WE were lucky to get our 16/1 upgrades first.

So ya figure that Bell is deliberately F###ing with the public ?

MY first reaction was that possibly it was an error on a brand new site and was about to be fixed, but I guess not, if other DSLR regulars see it as an outright lie.

How long HAS it been anyway, since Bell's site was changed to how it is today ?

IIRC, Bell's site - in general listings - only showed 15/10 and no more 15/1 - even BEFORE I did my lookup !

Having said all of that, it would be very interesting to see statistics on what percentage of Bell lines are reported by their new website lookup as supporting this new 15/10 tier, and compare it to how many of those particular lines actually DO.

Less than HALF ?

Remember that they dropped 2 other tiers (16/1, and 10/1 or 12/1) to introduce 15/10.

Simplified ? - Yes, on the surface at least.

Honest ? - NOT A CHANCE !

And do they have any fine print about the VDSL modem ? - wait, that does not matter to Bell retail as they waive charging for that still, right ?

This sounds like one for the CBC Marketplace show, or other such watchdogs.

Has Michael Geist or Peter Nowak weighed in on this blatant misrepresentation of the facts ?

Or Karl ?

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

From the Bell website, just took the important parts:

Upload speeds of up to 10 Mbps(1)

That (1) leads to:

Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell. Min. 680 Kbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds.

Then this is listed down more near the bottom:

Upload speeds from 680 Kbps to 10 Mbps

So to those who think TSI isn't offering 15/10, its because in reality it doesn't exist. The only thing I can see is that they're trying to qualify more people on VDSL2 to improve revenues so that's why they created this VDSL2 15/10 tier...but its kind a hybrid tier, 15/10 for VDSL2 and 15/1 for everything else....

Oh well, just to point out what was what...

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by nitzguy:

....So to those who think TSI isn't offering 15/10, its because in reality it doesn't exist.

The only thing I can see is that they're trying to qualify more people on VDSL2 to improve revenues so that's why they created this VDSL2 15/10 tier...but its kind a hybrid tier, 15/10 for VDSL2 and 15/1 for everything else....

Surely Mirko must say a prayer each morning, noon, and night - thanking his deity for the existence of 'Fine Print'.

I do understand what you wrote, but I'm trying to stir up $#!T here.

And I really would like to know what percentages of the subscriber service locations whose initial lookups suggest 15/10 can actually GET any form of VDSL support on their lines.

There has to be SOME way for us to nail Bell on this new BS !

They should call things what they REALLY are, reinstate a 15/1 or similar tier, and offer it honestly where their network has not yet been upgraded to VDSL.

Quite Simple.

Then I and a bunch of others would be all to glad to shut our pie-holes - without even being asked.

And I do agree with those here who have said that if a line supported 15/10, it would almost for sure support 25/10.

I'm thinking that a 15/7 tier might be a better middle ground for Bell, but keep the 15/1 tier too.