Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Blue Streak

join:2002-02-06
Moreno Valley, CA
reply to Blue Streak

Re: 2006 Altima - low oil

This is really an answer to all and not just Doctor Olds. First off she changes the oil regularly 3-4K per change. She had to add 2 quarts of oil to the engine after 3K. She has had 2 people look at the car for her. One is a friend and also a mechanic who checked the car out as a friend and claims he doesn't see any leaks. The second is the place sh gets the oil change, a actual mechanic shop not just an oil change place, and also claims they don't see any leaks. We haven't noticed any smoke from the tailpipes but will try to set up a time where I can follow her like Doc Olds suggested. BTW: She has the oil changed at the same place every time, a mechanic shop, and they use the same type of oil and filters. The engine coolant looks OK so don't think its going there. She has 142K on the car but it shouldn't be that bad at that mileage.

John

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Just a suggestion, change/ check the PCV valve, and see if it makes a difference. 2 quarts in 3K is huge.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY
said by Juggernaut:

Just a suggestion, change/ check the PCV valve, and see if it makes a difference. 2 quarts in 3K is huge.

I really don't think 1500 to a quart is that bad after 140k miles.
My wife's 2000 LeSabre with 135k miles on it does 1500 miles to a quart and I would never give it a second thought. The car only did around 2k miles to a quart when it was new.
My 2002 century with 105k miles on it does about 2500 miles to a quart of oil and has never changed from new.

My brother in law's 2007 Caddy with 50k miles on it only does about 1000 miles to a quart and the dealer tells him that is common.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Really? I use half a liter in 3K in my '95 3.8L at the most.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Along those lines check the air filter and filter housing for oil also.

I still suggest a fresh oil change then run a oil consumption test.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Blue Streak

join:2002-02-06
Moreno Valley, CA
We just had the oil changed so I will monitor the oil consumption now. Never thought of the air filter and filter housing so will give that a check.

Thanks,
John

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
No, like described in this thread:

2005-2006 Nissan Altima SE-R Discussion
Oil consumption test is done.
»www.nissanclub.com/forums/2005-2···e-2.html
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to bgraham
said by bgraham:

I really don't think 1500 to a quart is that bad after 140k miles.
My wife's 2000 LeSabre with 135k miles on it does 1500 miles to a quart and I would never give it a second thought.

My brother in law's 2007 Caddy with 50k miles on it only does about 1000 miles to a quart and the dealer tells him that is common.

"common" to use a quart of oil in a thousand miles?

My 3.0 liter Ford V6 Aerostar with 215,000 miles and a rear main seal leak only uses a quart in 3000 miles.

My 3.0 liter Avalon 1MZFE V6 with 330,000 miles on it uses about a half pint in 3,000 miles. I use WalMart oil and Fram filters for both vehicles.

If a using a quart every 1000 miles is 'common" for a Cadillac, then I'm never going to consider one.