spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Valdo

@verizon.net

[connectivity] Modem 6100F Bridge Mode

Hello Everyone, I currently have my modem in bridge Mode. My Modem is a Westell 6100F. It's connected to a Linksys Router Model : WRT120N. Everything is fine, internet connection is good. No problems.

However there is one thing I'm having trouble. I tried connecting my modem directly to the PlayStation 3. The reason is that I want to play with a NAT Type 1. But that's something else. My Main concern is that why am I not able to connect my modem directly to the PS3. I get no internet access. In addition, I tried connecting my modem into another router ( a friend let me borrow his) and still nothing. It seems like my modem is only recognizing my Linksys router for some reason. I wont get any connection to any other devices, router, or even laptops when connecting my modem through the Ethernet cable.

So in conclusion I can only get internet access through my Linksys. Why is that? Why am I not able to connect my modem to a different router? I need you help.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Your internet access may require the use of pppoe

Valdo

@verizon.net

I tried that and it didn't work. Plus I know my connection is a DHCP type Internet connection.

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
reply to Valdo

having a bridged modem means that your router holds the login info and config for your internet, and the modem acts as just a "dumb modem". you would need to take your modem out of bridge mode in order to use it directly with your ps3, or another router. alternatively, you could give the ps3 or other router your internet config information.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to Valdo

If the internet connection requires dhcp you must release the public ip address before changing the device that does the dhcp

Valdo

@verizon.net

Alright, lets say I do this. I release the public IP Address and connect it do a different device, and lets say it works ( I get internet connection). So Every time I want to change it to a different device, I must release the public IP Address every time ?
Is that correct?

The way I release the dhcp is opening cmd and typing ipconfig/release

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by Valdo :

So Every time I want to change it to a different device, I must release the public IP Address every time ? Is that correct?

Correct

said by Valdo :

The way I release the dhcp is opening cmd and typing ipconfig/release

This will work when the computer has the public ip address
Most routers have a release/ renew button for the public ip this must be used when the router has the public ip

Valdo

@verizon.net

To wayjac : Thank You very much. It worked for every device I connected. But is it necessary to wait two hours for the DCHP to expire when releasing the IP Address?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by Valdo :

But is it necessary to wait two hours for the DCHP to expire when releasing the IP Address?

When the ip lease is released there is no need to wait

Valdo

@verizon.net

said by wayjac:

When the ip lease is released there is no need to wait

Alright, Thank You. Everything is all set. My questions and concerns have been answered.