Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Barnapus

Premium Member

to Barnapus

Re: Java 7 update7 has security vulnerability

In the article, they say if you don't need Java, uninstall it. But, how does the average person know if they need it or not? What's not going to work on a web page (or a program) if Java is removed? And is there any alert that would tell the user that Java is required in a particular instance?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey

Premium Member

Well, if you try to run something at a website and it doesn't work, then you have to see what is disabled. Usually it's flash, but, for example, Secunia.com uses Java for the OSI (Online Software Inspector). Here at dslreports.com, the Java speed test (that's kind of obvious) uses Java. I have only run into a few other places that use Java. I recall a live nest cam (either Peregrine Falcon or Bald Eagle) that ran Java, but they changed that to some special viewing software.

In many cases, the site will report the error and ask you to check whether the Java runtime is installed.
MomOfARocker
join:2009-06-07
Canada

1 recommendation

MomOfARocker to DownTheShore

to DownTheShore
I know that if I want to play my favorite games at Pogo.com I need to have Java installed and Java 7 at that for the two games I play almost exclusively. I normally play Backgammon and Euchre and back in August Pogo forced us to upgrade to Java 7 in order to continue playing those two particular games.