how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

monicakm

join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX
reply to Iowa Cowboy

Re: I Just Downloaded a 8.46MB File in 0.01 Seconds!

Dare I? LOL
I was looking for "ping" information after reading about Excede.
TestMy doesn't include it. Again, while experiencing uber fast browsing like the other night (about the same time of night), I get this test result

Went to HughesNet to test
Web Response:
Download Time 4.8 seconds
Download Time 2.5 seconds
Download Time 2.3 seconds
Download Time 2.3 seconds
Download Time 2.4 seconds

Download Speed Test:
down 3338 kbps up 192
down 3577 up 180
down 3498 up 191

So what exactly is ping (I kinda get the jest of it) and why is it so important that even if d/l speed numbers are good a bad ping is "bad"? Is it directly related to VOIP and gaming? If I don't do those type of things, does it still adversely affect my Internet experience? What is a good ping number for satellite users?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

That's a whole new topic Monica, but it's your thread anyway. The name PING came from submarines, where sonar "pings" a distant object. The resultant echo - among other things - tells the originating vessel the distance to the object that reflected it. In Internet vernacular, PING stands for Packet INternet Groper but is usually stated as the simple acronym. An originating computer constructs an ICMP packet and sends it to a specific distant IP address. It's automatically turned around at the addressed server and returned to the originator. The PING utility knows what time it left and what time it returned. The difference between the two is round trip time (RTT) or PING time or "latency". This is where packet loss is figured as well; the number of bits in the packets sent minus the number of bits returned.

As with the submarine PING, distance is the main factor. Given that the ICMP packet(s) are sent at roughly the speed of light, that's a constant. The time it takes to get back is the variable. Figuring out how long it took at the speed of light derives the distance traveled. Satellite PING times are long because they're so far away. Unlike terrestrial broadband where distances are limited to the surface of the earth, satellite broadband by default takes a minimum 44,600 mile round trip. I say minimum, because that's just from the equator to the satellite and back. It is necessarily subject to terrestrial lag as well. So your PING goes from you to the satellite - down to the NOC - from the NOC to the addressed server back - then up to the satellite and back down to you.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

monicakm

join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX
reply to monicakm

Well my warp speed internet and dowload speeds have come to an end. I thought maybe it was a minor glitch but it's been slooooow for about a week now.
I know, you guys believe testmy is for the birds and I'm not trying to convince anyone other wise but it always seems to reflect what I'm experiencing. Currently 4.1Mbps vs the 21, 22Mbps testmy reported. Before I wrote my complaint to BBB around Aug 20th, the numbers were in the 2-3Mbps range. I sent a followup email last Thursday.