how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Scouser1892

@videotron.ca

Creating VPN

Hi all,

I have little IT knowledge and wish to ask you for your help regarding setting up a VPN.

Here my situation, I will be traveling abroad for few months ( China ) and wish to be able to access YT, google and such sites that are banned in China while im there. Last I got an openvpn for few bucks a month, it worked very well and I was happy. Problem is, in my future trip I'd be logging in regularly to PayPal, online banking and I'd prefer to set up my own VPN at home before traveling, and be able to connect to it from China, cheaper and most importantly safer.

So question is, can I turn my own modem cable/ cisco router into a VPN and then connect to it from China? For someone who is somehow savvy in networks ( not me ), is it fair to say such set up is easy to accomplish?

Thanks for your help.

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

If your router has built in functionality to be a VPN server then it wouldn't be too difficult. If not, you'd be looking at either replacing the router (with one that has VPN server abilities) or adding a separate VPN server - which would require more configuration such as port forwarding, etc.

The biggest kicker is whether or not you have a static IP at home. If so, then you would easily be able to reach your VPN server from anywhere. If you have a dynamic IP, then you'd have to sign up for some sort of dynamic DNS service, get that configured on your router or VPN server, and use the URL provided to you from the dynamic DNS service to connect home. There are sometimes charges for dynamic DNS services, but there also are some that may be free.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Scouser1892

Setting up a VPN server isn't overly difficult but it does help to have a good grasp of networking basics (especially IP routing).

Even if your home router doesn't have VPN capability of its own, you should still be able to setup a VPN server on a computer at home and provide access to it with port forwarding on your router.

In your specific case you need to pay attention to the configuration of the VPN client. A VPN client may be configured to only tunnel traffic that is intended for your home LAN through the VPN tunnel and route all traffic to other Internet sites directly to those sites. That would be fine for most users (better performance) but doesn't address your concerns. You want to make sure that your VPN client is configured such that while the VPN tunnel is active all Internet traffic is routed through the VPN tunnel. I believe the latter is the default behavior for the Cisco VPN client (since you mention that you have a Cisco router).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Scouser1892

@videotron.ca
reply to Scouser1892

Thanks for your reply.
Sorry I said I had Cisco, truth is I have D-link, Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router DIR-825.

My ip is Dynamic, but my ISP can provide me with a static IP for small fee, is it better/safer to use a static ip?

Anyone here willing to help me setting up the VPN server, for a small fee?

Thank you.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Scouser1892

said by Scouser1892 :

So question is, can I turn my own modem cable/ cisco router into a VPN and then connect to it from China?

Depends on the make and model of device you have.

If you're not savvy with IT / networking, I'd say it's going to be VERY difficult and would take an investment of
time and effort that will have to be weighted with when your trip to China is scheduled -- on the order of days? Or Months?

Regards