spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

[Need Info] OS Imaging question

I recently reimaged my Windows 7 OS system with Symantec Ghost and my question is, is there a software that would let me tell if I had the RUN command enabled before I created my image?

I dont want to restore my image just to look at something if its enabled or not since I that would make me create multiple user accounts again which I want to avoid.

Ghost Explorer which I have, only detects which applicattions are installed in the Program directory folder.

I only want to see if I the RUN command was enabled or not under the Start menu properties since Windows 7 does not show it by default.

Thx in advance.

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
Well, if you can mount the image you can load your users's registry hive (NTUSER.DAT) into regedit, and check the value of "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" Start_ShowRun (0/1, disabled/enabled).

It is a trivial thing to enable/disable anyway, so if you forgot it's just a few clicks away.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23
I have opened the the image.GHO file in Ghost Explorer. So how do I load the NTUSER.DAt?
Thanks!!!

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI

1 recommendation

You need to open regedit, click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and from the File menu choose Load hive. Browse "Users\<username>" in the image, if it isn't there it's because it is hidden, you can type in "ntuser.dat" in the filename: box.

It'll ask for a name, it doesn't matter what you name it, and appear under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Then look for the key I already mentioned. When you're done be sure to Unload it (highlight whatever name you gave it, using the Unload command in the File menu).

regedit needs to be run as administrator to load a hive, by default you should get a UAC popup when running regedit meaning it will run as administrator.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..