dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
monicakm
join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

Re: I Just Downloaded a 8.46MB File in 0.01 Seconds!

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

said by monicakm:

Please tell us you don't actually believe that Monica. That speed test server should NOT be used by satellite subscribers.

The quick file download by the way, is a Windows thing. Frequently Windows will start downloading a file that you've selected before you go through the motions of telling it where you want the file saved. Depending upon how long it takes you to do that, the file can already be downloaded into a temp folder. All that remains to be done is moving it from the temp folder to your specified folder.

//greg//
monicakm
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

Well thanks for ruining it for me! So which test (other than HughesNet) do you suggest? This same site is reports disparaging numbers , when my downloads are disparagingly slow.

You may be right about the downloaded song. I don't know. I just know I downloaded five songs from my Amazon Cloud (one at a time. I didn't use their downloader. Did it the old fashioned way). It was the third song to d/l. The two before and the two after downloaded at a normal speed. I didn't wait any longer or do anything different with that song. So I'd like to think I downloaded it at warp speed...even it if only happens once!
monicakm

1 edit

monicakm

Today's download speed test. My browsing isn't as breakneck as it was last night. Pages were just popping on the screen in at all time highs!

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to monicakm

to monicakm
NOT! NEVER! INACCURATE!
said by monicakm:

monicakm
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

Gee, what a bunch of party poopers
All I know is last night I was browsing at
cable speeds. Webpages were instantly
appearing. Downloads were snappy. The
speed test indicated the difference I noticed
as it's been mirroring the last several months
of dialup speeds. Today, speeds showed the slowdown I was experiencing in contrast to last night. I'm not up on these numbers like you guys seem to be but what a coincidence that I reportedly downloaded 8.46 MB in 0.01 seconds and moments later my download speed showed it was off the charts (for satellite), and I was browsing the web like I was on a good cable connection. But you can relax, I'm back down to where I was last year at this time (4.7Mbps). Remember when a lot of had 2-3X the download speeds for about 3 months? Think I'll just keep my BBB letter in case I have to use it again!

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to monicakm

to monicakm
said by monicakm:

So which test (other than HughesNet) do you suggest?

None. HughesNet tech support does not accept - AND WILL NOT ACT UPON - speed test results from sites other than their own. The whole idea of a speed test is to gauge the performance of your provider. That cannot accurately be assessed when factors outside the provider are included. When you test with Hughes, your signal goes to the NOC and back. When you test with anybody else, the signal goes to the NOC - out into the internet somewhere - back to the NOC - then back to you. Too many factors external can affect the results.

Then there's the technical aspect. Satellite internet bitstreams are constructed quite differently than most terrestrial broadband. Modulation and error coding types differ, and actually there's no pressing reason for terrestrial providers to even go to the expense of coding. But the big one is data compression. Speed tests designed for terrestrial simply can't cope with the degree of compression engineered into satellite bitstreams.

Get used to using the Hughes test exclusively. That way you'll have a chronological record of speeds that you can point to when you're on the phone with tech support. They have access to those numbers. If you don't - they'll tell you to test ON THEIR SITE for five days, then to get back to the them with the results.

//greg//