Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

johnpd
Premium
join:2003-11-20
Green Valley, AZ

[Thunderbird] TB 15 Tab Background

I updated to TB 15 and the background of any inactive tab is so dark, I cannot read the tab heading. Is there a way to fix this?

JohnD

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Click for full size
While I don't know how to change it, it appears for me (which I'm guessing is the default), the tab background color is the same as the Window color behind them.

In my case (shown above), I have Aero on, so I get the glass effect. So, the background would be whatever wallpaper I have behind them behind glass. Some of my background as so light that its hard for me to see the tab text, but it never really bothered me, as I knew it was the glass effect of Aero causing that. If I wanted to fix it, I would just change my background to something else.

The active tab does change to have a white background so that is always easy to read. In my picture, my Inbox is the active tab (one on the far left).

By the way, my OS is Windows 7 Enterprise x64.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

johnpd
Premium
Green Valley, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Click for full size
I had no problem with previous versions of TB up until I installed v15. There has been no change in the desktop background. I have Vista 32-bit. The inactive tabs are showing black lettering on a dark background strip which makes it difficult to read these tab headings. I understand a new UI has been introduced with TB v15.

JohnD

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Click for full size
Picture #1
Click for full size
Picture #2
Well again, it does have to do with the change in the design of the tabs, and the way the inactive ones show up.

Picture #1 above shows the top 1/4 of my desktop, with all my windows minimized. As you can see, the top part of it is very dark in color (almost black).

Then, when I maximize Thunderbird, my inactive tabs (in this case, just the calendar one) is very hard to read.

This is because the inactive tabs don't have a solid color background anymore. In past versions (and the same is true with Waterfox), the active tab has a white background, and the inactive tabs were gray.

Now in Thunderbird 15, the inactive tabs have no background per say, they take on the rest of the window's properties, which in my case (and it looks like yours) is the glass effect.

Since we both have dark backgrounds under the window, black text on a black background is very hard (if not impossible) to read.

So, I agree with you on what is going on. I just don't know how to fix the problem, outside of changing your windows desktop to be something brighter. However, there should be some way to set what color is used for the active tab, and what color is used for the inactive tab(s).

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

johnpd
Premium
Green Valley, AZ

I ended up downloading and installing a theme to fix it.

JohnD

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to johnpd

I've been reading in other places Moz themes bricking installations.

Best bet (if issue not totally unresloved) to report to Mozilla.