All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BAM
@rogers.com

BAM

Anon

[Extreme] Streaming from local storage costing me bigtime?

Good day folks,

Just got off the phone with rogers, they are telling me that the following is true:

If I have a movie on a hard drive on my computer and I stream that movie to my appleTV (2nd gen) it uses 'internet' data.

All the while I believed that if I stream data from my own computer to the appleTV it used my local network.

Hardware: Hitron gateway from rogers.

Yesterday I watched 2 HD movies and it used up 35Gb of data on my plan. The two HD movies were only about 17Gb total.

How is it that I am paying to take data I already downloaded and stream it to my appleTV?

Thanks for the help

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

They clearly don't understand how the technology works.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to BAM

Premium Member

to BAM
It would depend how you setup the Apple TV. If you downloaded the movie on your computer through iTunes and setup the sharing, it will go through your LAN. If you are playing the movie on your Apple TV downloaded on your iTunes account you are probably streaming or downloading it from Apple's servers.

I have not played around fully with an Apple TV so I can't say why it did in your case but best to call Apple and double check the steps to stream from your computer.
BACONATOR26

BACONATOR26 to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr :

They clearly don't understand how the technology works.

No they don't but Rogers is not expected to support third party products, the CSRs generally don't have the knowledge to do so.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

4 edits

elitefx to BAM

to BAM
said by BAM :

All the while I believed that if I stream data from my own computer to the appleTV it used my local network.

Noob here...removed my noob idea

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to BACONATOR26

Anon

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

It would depend how you setup the Apple TV. If you downloaded the movie on your computer through iTunes and setup the sharing, it will go through your LAN. If you are playing the movie on your Apple TV downloaded on your iTunes account you are probably streaming or downloading it from Apple's servers.

I have not played around fully with an Apple TV so I can't say why it did in your case but best to call Apple and double check the steps to stream from your computer.

If they dont know the answer, thats not an excuse for them to make it up.

The OP should be fine. To be sure, the OP should check their usage meter online and look for a sudden spike in usage.