spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ShelaghDB

join:2012-09-02

New Rogers HITRON CGN2-ROG -Cant Stay Online

Hi, I am new to this forum and found it because i was doing a google search on my new modem, the HITRON CGN2-ROG and for some reason couldn't find out much about it but was led here, or rather, to this thread which shows it.

»Rogers NEW Ultimate 150/10 With Hitron

I am hoping someone here can hep me for Rogers seems unable and this isn't only for speed rates?

I am a MacBook Pro user and up until 4 weeks ago used a model for 2 years i was happy with called the SMCD3GN but 4 weeks ago I began to be kicked offline every few minutes and had to keep doing hard resets which became very annoying, often 5-15x a day.
I figured the modem was broken and took it back to Rogers and they gave me a Cisco modem, the model number i do not remember.

For about a week I was online, fine BUT, I also have an iPhone, an iTouch i hook up to my wireless network which both worked fine but I have 2 HP Touchpads that could not connect.
I did a search and found many other HP Touchpad users with the same problem using that modem and since Rogers was unable to figure it out, they told me to come switch it again for this new Hitron. Although they said it would cost me an extra $1.50 per month for rental but did say it was far superior to the Cisco and would solve my problem. I realized at this point it had unlikely been the SMS modem after all and should never have switched it but perhaps it was an internal Rogers problem and to have a service tech come look at it, an appointment of which I have set up for tomorrow. But i am not confident they will figure it out.

Why?

I hooked it up 3 days ago and for the first 24 hours all was well and my HP Touchpads were connecting to.

But for the past 24 hours I am up and down again and must do hard resets.

So I am wondering something.

I have 2 free phone lines on my Macbook. You are only supposed to have one per computer so if i want to use one, I open it up and turn it on but if I need to use the other one, naturally I have to make sure that the first one is shut down and then open the second one but naturally they cannot both work at the same time.

Whats partly interesting, although not new and I have seen this for about a year or two with it, each one I open has a little box I MUST CLICK to or it wont access the internet but it appears that each phone number has to access its own IP address.

It says, YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE ACTIVE IP ADDRESS
PLEASE CHOOSE THE ONE THAT BUD PHONE WILL USE TO CONTACT THE INTERNET'

then it shows 2 IP's and i have to click on the one that corresponds to that program or it wont work
Now i am not going to post my actual IP but a fake one but to show you what i have, one would be

and the second one will be,

so the IP's look the same except for the last 2 digits which will be one number away from the other one.

Anytime I look at the IP addressees I see that the last 2 digits are often a few numbers away from one another.
Could this possibly be affecting this?
For example, the 2 IP's it claims to have for these 2 free phone systems, the first 3 groups of numbers will be the same but the last group different

or am i grasping at straws here?

Or does anyone have any possible idea what could be happening?
When I am offline and cant access the internet, I have phoned Rogers and each time have been told that on their end, my modem is connected and does not appear to have anything wrong.

Any ideas?
I cant see how a Rogers tech is going to help if he comes by unless I know what the problem might be or have some sort of direction to look in.

It worked for 3 years perfectly up until this started a few weeks ago ;-(

( Not sure which Rogers Internet plan I have, I think its just the regular one for $49.95 a month)

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

2 edits

The solution to your problems is to do the following:

Return the Hitron and get the CISCO DPC3825 and acquire the Netgear WNDR 4500 wireless router. Put the DPC3825 in bridge mode then connect the WNDR4500. All your apple gear will work as you would like the gear to work plus you will have an outstanding wired|wireless network.
==========================================================
Brief Background:

The HITRON is a integrated GATEWAY --- this means that it has a number of FUNCTIONS that are integrated ---- primary functions like [1] Cable Modem [2] Router [3] Switch [4] wireless radio(s) [5] other functions

I just recently got some experience working for a client who got the HITRON and based on that experience IMO that the HITRON I was exposed too is not a PREMIUM product. The Cable Modem works as well as the CISCO DPC3825 so in Bridge mode its equal. The HITRON does have much superior wireless capabilities than the SMC and or the CISCO but that is not saying much when compared to many other Wireless Routers like the Netgear WNDR4500 or the CISCO Linksys E4200 v1 for example. Many people like the IDEA of INTEGRATED functions but in the CASE of the HITRON, CISCO DPC3825 and the SMCD3GN the integrated functions do not perform as well as they should for many reasons -- In to-days technology marketplace, and in my experience most consumer grade mass produced ALL IN ONE integrated NETWORK products do not provide ROBUST seamless integrated capability and functionality in FIRMWARE [embedded system integrated capability and functionality like Routing, Firewall - NAT-T/PAT/SPI, VPN - IPSec/L2TP/PPTP, Ethernet Switch, Wireless Access Point, Cable Modem, DSL Modem]. And no matter how good the glowing reports and reviews are for these products, they all continue to have far too many disruptive issues.

Now to answer you’re Question;

I have 2 free phone lines on my Macbook. You are only supposed to have one per computer so if i want to use one, I open it up and turn it on but if I need to use the other one, naturally I have to make sure that the first one is shut down and then open the second one but naturally they cannot both work at the same time..................
or am i grasping at straws here?

The HITRON has a function that issues a private IP Addresses to each device -- a device can be hardware or software disguised as hardware --- phones can be hardware devices or software devices disguised as hardware. So if you have 2 free phone lines active EACH phone line is assigned a Private IP Address BUT your software that controls your allocations does NOT permit 2 Phone lines to operate --- so YOU are causing a conflict because you insist on having 2 installed where only one is permitted --- so each phone line has been assigned a private IP Address when in FACT you are only allowed one IP address for PHONE USE by the software control system.

So why do the IP addresses differ by a few digits? The HITRON DHCP server dynamically assigns IP address whenever the Phone lines request address renewal and based on how the DHCP server is configured those private IP address may be the same address or a different address.

avernar

join:2002-05-23
Mississauga, ON

said by mozerd:

Return the Hitron and get the CISCO DPC3825 and acquire the Netgear WNDR 4500 wireless router. Put the DPC3825 in bridge mode then connect the WNDR4500.

said by mozerd:

The Cable Modem works as well as the CISCO DPC3825 so in Bridge mode its equal.

So if the Hitron cable modem part works as well as the CISCO cable mode part in bridge mode and you want him to put the CISCO in bridge mode, why not just put the Hitron in bridge mode and use the Netgear router with it?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

said by avernar:

So if the Hitron cable modem part works as well as the CISCO cable mode part in bridge mode and you want him to put the CISCO in bridge mode, why not just put the Hitron in bridge mode and use the Netgear router with it?

My experience with the Hitron is very limited. My experience with the DPC3825 is significantly longer so I generally recommend to go with stuff that I've had longer experience with.

So yes the OP can go with the Hitron in bridge mode .... As a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem it works very well.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to avernar

said by avernar:

Cisco; rock solid past performance and American made. Hitron: unheard of till last month with no proven track record. Hmmmm...tough call.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

1 edit

said by elitefx:

Cisco; rock solid past performance and American made. Hitron: unheard of till last month with no proven track record. Hmmmm...tough call.

I can no longer recommend CISCO wireless routers or most anything made by CISCO. The only exception to this is the DPC3825 -- as a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem operating in BRIDGE mode --- for now but that may change if more shenanigans surface.

The broken TRUST issue
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

said by mozerd:

I can no longer recommend CISCO wireless routers or most anything made by CISCO. The only exception to this is the DPC3825 for now but that may change if more shenanigans surface.

You have that pretty much backwards. As a wireless router, the DPC3825 is a piece of crap. The e3000/e4200v1, on the other hand, are quite decent routers, when paired with 3rd party firmware.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

said by avernar:

Cisco's track record has been pretty abysmal lately and most of their products are manufactured in China and not in the US. Hitron has been supplying modems to many North American MSOs for quite a while now.

I'd still recommend the Cisco in bridge mode vs. the Hitron, simply for the fact that it will save you $12 a year and I don't condone giving Rogers money for a premium product that can't deliver.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit

said by yyzlhr:

I'd still recommend the Cisco in bridge mode vs. the Hitron

Agree 1000%. Better the devil you know. Anyhoo, I've always used a top of the line standalone Wireless N Gigabit Router.....I value my privacy...

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to JAC70

said by JAC70:

You have that pretty much backwards. As a wireless router, the DPC3825 is a piece of crap. The e3000/e4200v1, on the other hand, are quite decent routers, when paired with 3rd party firmware.

I agree that the as a wireless router, the DPC3825 is a piece of crap --- and I should have qualified my statement [now done as an edit]. And Yes the e3000/e4200v1, on the other hand, are quite decent routers BUT due to the broken trust issue I will not recommend or suggest that anyone acquire their products --- the only exception being the DPC3825 operating in bridge mode strictly as a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

JAC70

canada

said by mozerd:

I agree that the as a wireless router, the DPC3825 is a piece of crap --- and I should have qualified my statement [now done as an edit]. And Yes the e3000/e4200v1, on the other hand, are quite decent routers BUT due to the broken trust issue I will not recommend or suggest that anyone acquire their products --- the only exception being the DPC3825 operating in bridge mode strictly as a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.

To which issue are you referring? The whole cloud and illegal use TOS thing? Yeah, that was annoying but they fixed that pretty quickly and with 3rd party firmware it's not an issue.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

»Suggested Listening....

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit
reply to ShelaghDB

you know this gateway topic just goes round and round and round. this is what happens when Rogers refuses to allow the consumer free choice in our hardware selection (discussed 1000 times already). we're like mice in a cage. making the best of an intolerable situation. common sense dictates we should be able to purchase the D3 modem of our choice (discussed 1000 times already). rogers has us on a bit on string. And all the while getting filthy rich off our undesireable situation.

it don't really matter which Gateway is better, they're all flawed when you get right down to it. who cares if the modem component is good when you've just dropped $150 + tax for a Gateway you didn't want to start with.....A top of the line standalone D3 modem will run you $89-$105 any day of the week and they're usually on sale at one shop or another (discussed 1000 times already).......We need to turn the heat up on Rogers instead of attempting to gloss over their unacceptable hardware usage policies.....

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

The Motorola SB6180 is a superb 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Too much work [and cost] to convince Rogers that it should accept 3rd party cable modems without all the fuss.

elitefx

London, ON

said by mozerd:

Too much work [and cost] to convince Rogers that it should accept 3rd party cable modems without all the fuss.

yea...what a friggin' world.......

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to mozerd

I wish the CRTC grew a set of balls, and required an ISP that forces a modem rental or purchase from them, to offer both a standalone modem as well as an all in one gateway for the dummies that require them.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Sometimes I think that a standalone modem would be better for the "dummies" as well. It is not that difficult to hook up a router to a modem. On the other hand, when the gateway does not provide decent wireless access, the not so computer literate customer is quite likely going to be perplexed. Will they know how to put their gateway into bridge mode? Will they know that they can even use their own router with a gateway? I think it takes someone with a fair bit of knowledge to go through all the steps required to disable the built-in router and then hook up your own router. Much easier to just hook up your own router in the first place! There is no doubt about it though - the CRTC is completely lacking in gonads!

JAC70

canada

Most computer users are not capable of installing, configuring and securing a wireless router.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Ten years ago I did not think I could either, but following simple instructions was not that difficult. And if they are "not capable of installing, configuring and securing a wireless router", then how do they solve the problem of a gateway router that does not have a decent wireless range or suffers from dropped connections?

ShelaghDB

reply to ShelaghDB

I have read all the posts here and must say that you are all beyond me...LOL

I dont have a clue about bridges etc.

All I know is that my wireless situation worked perfectly for the last 2 years with one router ad suddenly about 2 months ago it began to drop my wireless connection all the time although i hadn't changed a thing.

I am so sick to death of the help at Rogers who put me through the same steps each time although i keep telling them that it will work when I take the things out of the back for a minute or two, put them back in and yes, i will work for a while b ut then it will stop using again.
Ive already had one tech to my home that insisted it was due to the splitter in the wall that had 4 prongs on it and i only needed 2 but that lasted 8 hours and went back again to the same situation.

I have been offline 50% of the past 2 months. The only thing saving me from cancelling Rogers and going with Tek Savvy or someone else, is that fear that it is something in the line within my building and o mater what company I go with, the same will happen and yet i would be starting all over again to get it fixed once and for all otherwise i would drop Rogers in a heartbeat.

Im better with computers than the average person but am stumped with wireless issues, ever gavin had to read up on them or deal with them before now.

Someone says above how we have had this conversation millions of times and if only Rogers will let u use your own hard ware, etc, etc but would this REALLY make any difference and this makes it sound to me as if my present problems are quite common and everyone goes through this? As if I should be expected to live with this?

Regarding the first posters advice, sorry I cant go and change the router yet again. This is the 3rd one. The first one worked beautifully for 2 years and then started to screw up 2 months ago so that doest suggest a brand name router problem for it worked well for so long but maybe something new in rOGERS cable? I know they want access to my maintenance room when they come in this week.

I deleted t he second phone program I have but the first one, when I open it up, still tells me to click one one of the 2 IPS that my computer has active--says I have more than one active IP so I don know if these 2 IPS are confusing the router or not but I tried telling Rogers about this but the tech brushed it off as if it was normal to have two

I had another tech there who told me he KNEW how to fix it.......and changed all my settings and of course it worked for 7 hours before conking out again.
He eve had me connect to speedtest.com and told me i was getting terrible speed, so he had me try a few networks but according to him, my speed never changed.
It was about 9.8 and he said it should have been about 18 and then he gave up and said to have a tech come in as well

/sighs so damn frustrating and to think i am paying money for this lousy service now for 2 months?

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

said by ShelaghDB:

Im better with computers than the average person but am stumped with wireless issues, ever gavin had to read up on them or deal with them before now.

Do yourself a favour and put your modem in bridge mode and buy a decent wireless router. It will be the single best investment you will ever make in terms of home networking. I suggest WNDR3700/3800 but there are a ton of other options available.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

Except this doesn't sound like the wireless router ... This sounds like a signal quality problem, probably on the upstream.

ShelaghDB

reply to ShelaghDB

Well for what its worth, its all fixed now and this is what happened....I will say that the tech that came in, this time, knew what to do ahead of time, to some degree, which I will explain but told me that ROGERS has been suffering a lot of problems lately and I am far from being the only one.

I myself had wondered for every time i had called them lately, I heard the message warning that it was a longer time to wait then usual due to more calls than they typically deal with.

I had the latest wireless router, mentioned at the beginning of this thread that was new and Rogers raved about and charged me an extra $3.00 per month but he told me that it was causing a lot of problems for people and wanted to give me his favourite, a CISCO DPC3825.
Not believing it would make a difference, I told him fine but i didn't want him leaving until i was sure but showed him what had been happening as of late..

I would show him the network on my one mac computer and lets say it was called Network 1, just as an example. He could see it but as soon as I showed him my iPhone, he could see it still but then i showed him my iTouch and2 HP Touchpads and he was surprised for none of them showed the network at all.
It could not be seen for some reason. He had to call head office for he was stumped.
But he went ahead and signed up the new CISCO router, made a few setting changes and they suddenly all worked again and could see the networks.

I wish I could tell you what he did do especially but he just said that it was due to the new modem which in his opinion was by far the best one and said that this other modem, the one I had, the black one with all sorts of O holes cut into it as a design ( model number mentioned at the beginning of this post) and implied that it was a terrible piece of equipment and causing a lot of problems for customers.

True?
I dont know but I will say that its been up now running 5 or so hours without being dropped at all which is longer than the other ones were online.

I havent ever been impressed by a Rogers tech support person but this fellow I was. He went beyond what was expected of him so i am just about to send them an email explaining why I was so enthusiastic about him.

Take note though his comment about this router causing a lot of problems, although I am not sure IF that was the main reason for all the network problems he said customers were having lately.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

So the tech said the hitron was bad and DPC 3825 was good? Still if the problem was not a signal issue then you would still be better off with a router and the DPC3825 in bridge mode, but if the DPC 3825 works for your needs in gateway mode and its not giving any problems then its up to you if you want a more robust set up.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

said by technocar2:

but if the DPC 3825 works for your needs in gateway mode and its not giving any problems then its up to you if you want a more robust set up.

99.9% will only learn the hard way --- that is normal AND that is human nature.

Gatman

@.ca
reply to ShelaghDB

I came across this thread while doing a search on this gateway. Very interesting and I appreciate the info provided. Instead of using either the Hitron/SMC/Cisco in bridge mode and getting a dedicated router, would an option be to use the modem/router as is and buy a range extender. My general problem is the strength of my wireless signal on the 2nd story of our house. Any suggestion on best solution?
Thanks,

Larry

repetition

@rogers.com
reply to mozerd

more true than you'll ever know

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to Gatman

said by Gatman :

would an option be to use the modem/router as is and buy a range extender. My general problem is the strength of my wireless signal on the 2nd story of our house. Any suggestion on best solution?

a range extender [or repeater] will cut you're wireless bandwidth by 50% and if that is acceptable to you then go for it.

Trixster

@bell.ca

The wireless on the Hitron is a problem. In the same room and can't hold radio streaming.

Gatman

@rogers.com
reply to mozerd

Thanks for the info mozerd. I have a D-link DIR 625 router that I used previously before you had to get the gateway. Will that give me a good wireless range?