share rss forum feed

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2
reply to ShelaghDB

Re: New Rogers HITRON CGN2-ROG -Cant Stay Online

said by ShelaghDB:

Im better with computers than the average person but am stumped with wireless issues, ever gavin had to read up on them or deal with them before now.

Do yourself a favour and put your modem in bridge mode and buy a decent wireless router. It will be the single best investment you will ever make in terms of home networking. I suggest WNDR3700/3800 but there are a ton of other options available.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

Except this doesn't sound like the wireless router ... This sounds like a signal quality problem, probably on the upstream.

ShelaghDB

join:2012-09-02
reply to ShelaghDB

Well for what its worth, its all fixed now and this is what happened....I will say that the tech that came in, this time, knew what to do ahead of time, to some degree, which I will explain but told me that ROGERS has been suffering a lot of problems lately and I am far from being the only one.

I myself had wondered for every time i had called them lately, I heard the message warning that it was a longer time to wait then usual due to more calls than they typically deal with.

I had the latest wireless router, mentioned at the beginning of this thread that was new and Rogers raved about and charged me an extra $3.00 per month but he told me that it was causing a lot of problems for people and wanted to give me his favourite, a CISCO DPC3825.
Not believing it would make a difference, I told him fine but i didn't want him leaving until i was sure but showed him what had been happening as of late..

I would show him the network on my one mac computer and lets say it was called Network 1, just as an example. He could see it but as soon as I showed him my iPhone, he could see it still but then i showed him my iTouch and2 HP Touchpads and he was surprised for none of them showed the network at all.
It could not be seen for some reason. He had to call head office for he was stumped.
But he went ahead and signed up the new CISCO router, made a few setting changes and they suddenly all worked again and could see the networks.

I wish I could tell you what he did do especially but he just said that it was due to the new modem which in his opinion was by far the best one and said that this other modem, the one I had, the black one with all sorts of O holes cut into it as a design ( model number mentioned at the beginning of this post) and implied that it was a terrible piece of equipment and causing a lot of problems for customers.

True?
I dont know but I will say that its been up now running 5 or so hours without being dropped at all which is longer than the other ones were online.

I havent ever been impressed by a Rogers tech support person but this fellow I was. He went beyond what was expected of him so i am just about to send them an email explaining why I was so enthusiastic about him.

Take note though his comment about this router causing a lot of problems, although I am not sure IF that was the main reason for all the network problems he said customers were having lately.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

So the tech said the hitron was bad and DPC 3825 was good? Still if the problem was not a signal issue then you would still be better off with a router and the DPC3825 in bridge mode, but if the DPC 3825 works for your needs in gateway mode and its not giving any problems then its up to you if you want a more robust set up.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by technocar2:

but if the DPC 3825 works for your needs in gateway mode and its not giving any problems then its up to you if you want a more robust set up.

99.9% will only learn the hard way --- that is normal AND that is human nature.

Gatman

@.ca
reply to ShelaghDB

I came across this thread while doing a search on this gateway. Very interesting and I appreciate the info provided. Instead of using either the Hitron/SMC/Cisco in bridge mode and getting a dedicated router, would an option be to use the modem/router as is and buy a range extender. My general problem is the strength of my wireless signal on the 2nd story of our house. Any suggestion on best solution?
Thanks,

Larry

repetition

@rogers.com
reply to mozerd

more true than you'll ever know

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to Gatman

said by Gatman :

would an option be to use the modem/router as is and buy a range extender. My general problem is the strength of my wireless signal on the 2nd story of our house. Any suggestion on best solution?

a range extender [or repeater] will cut you're wireless bandwidth by 50% and if that is acceptable to you then go for it.

Trixster

@bell.ca

The wireless on the Hitron is a problem. In the same room and can't hold radio streaming.

Gatman

@rogers.com
reply to mozerd

Thanks for the info mozerd. I have a D-link DIR 625 router that I used previously before you had to get the gateway. Will that give me a good wireless range?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

The Hitron wireless is superior to your D-Link 625 --- you could setup the 625 as a dedicated AP then place it in your 2nd story of your house but that involves some technical details plus requiring a connectivity mechanism between the Hitron and the 625 like 2 powerline 500 adapters.

You would be much better off by placing the Hitron in Bridge mode and acquire the Netgear WNDR4500 wireless router which wireless system would cover your entire dwelling assumming that the Hitron is located on the first floor in a central area.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

gatman

@rogers.com

The hitron is in the basement, where I have my main Rogers cable coming into the house...does that change things?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

said by gatman :

The hitron is in the basement, where I have my main Rogers cable coming into the house...does that change things?

I suggest that you have rogers move your Hitron to the first floor in a location as central as possible. In the Basement is the worst possible location.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

said by mozerd:

In the Basement is the worst possible location.

This is just another prime example of Rogers 3rd rate 10 cent Hitron/SMC hardware at work. My TP Link WR1043ND is in my basement and effectively transmits an excellent signal upstairs, outside, all the way to the bottom of the yard 50 feet away through glass, wood, steel etc.

Junk in, Junk out..............