Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

glassheads

join:2012-09-02
Gainesville, FL

2 edits

[FL] Slow download speeds

I have a COX HSI Preferred package (18/3) in Gainesville,FL. For the last couple of days I am getting 2Mbps(down)/.5 Mbps(up) during night time and and on weekends. Speeds get back to normal early in the morning around 6. I have Motorola SURFboard sb5101u DOCSIS 2.0 modem.

My Signal Levels :

Downstream:

Power Level 0.3 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio 38.7 dB

Upstream :

Power Level 42.2 dBmV

I tested the speeds connecting directly through modem and through router and i get same results.I used speakeasy, test.lvcm, speedtest.net and dsl reports speed test to test the speed. I had a cox tech come over and take a look and he was not able to find any problem.

»

Is this a congestion issue or something else going wrong here?

glassheads

Gainesville, FL

Going through Modem logs, i find these messages

2012-09-02 17:14:09 6-Notice I401.0 TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
1970-01-01 00:00:26 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.
1970-01-01 00:00:11 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out (US 1)
1970-01-01 00:00:07 6-Notice M571.1 Ethernet link up - ready to pass packets

this happens on every modem restart.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

Sounds like typical congestion as a result of your D2 modem. You are stuck in a single lane highway right now with a big truck infront of you...

Surely other things could be wrong but that's my first guess since you said it goes back to fine during the early mornings.

glassheads

Gainesville, FL

So, switching to D3 modem should improve speeds?

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by glassheads:

So, switching to D3 modem should improve speeds?

Yes it should as your signal levels look good, but being cox uses D3 now, you are rather limited with using a D2 modem.

glassheads

Gainesville, FL

Got a Zoom Docsis 3.0 modem today. After a day of usage i haven't seen any drastic increase.

Speeds at 10pm ...

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA

Post the modem signals levels.

glassheads

Gainesville, FL

Currently using 4 bonded channels.

Downstream Signals:

Power SNR
10.0 dBmV 41.4 dBmV
9.5 dBmV 40.9 dBmV
9.5 dBmV 41.0 dBmV
10.0 dBmV 41.4 dBmV

Upstream

37.5 dBmV

I am planning to move modem to a different outlet where i think downstream power levels are close to 2. we had wireless signal issues in other rooms when i moved the setup there. i will do some tests after i move it tonight and see if it improves.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well you need to direct connect to the modem and run some testing. Because with 4 downstream channels, I really don't think them speedtest results are correct. Which to me means either your router has issue's, or the pc your testing with has problems.

glassheads

Gainesville, FL

Speeds were really low ,around .3mbps, so i called cox. they said there is a outage in our area so may be this is some other issue. I will check tomorrow hopefully todays speeds were related to outage.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to glassheads

Your high latency makes me think something else on the computer is using the bandwidth. Are you or someone else in the house torrenting? Make sure that your wireless is secured and that only you are using the internet at the time of the tests. Besides it being only your computer, make sure nothing on your computer is using bandwidth during the tests.

glassheads

Gainesville, FL

Yes, all the tests i posted are done while connected directly to modem and i make sure that no other application is running on my computer. I have done tests using multiple computers and getting around same 2-3mbps range Download speed. I had a chat with cox support and he said that there was packet loss when he sends data to my modem. Tech is going to come and have another look at it tomorrow.

glassheads

Gainesville, FL
reply to glassheads

I am still waiting for tech to come over and have a look. its been rescheduled to tuesday.

Meanwhile, i have been running network diagnostics using UFL NDT server. It gives me these messages on most tests.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 32.33 msec; the Packet size = 1448 Bytes; and
There were 20 packets retransmitted, 187 duplicate acks received, and 146 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 1 times due to packet loss
The connection was idle 0.26 seconds (2.6%) of the time
This connection is network limited 99.90% of the time.
Contact your local network administrator to report a network problem
Contact your local network admin and report excessive packet reordering

The messages in bold are the one i keep getting consistently on every test.

john_fla

join:2002-09-10
Gainesville, FL
reply to glassheads

My speed (Cox HSI Premier) seems to slowly deteriorate over the course of a day or two. Reset or unplug the router, linksys-n, restores faster speed. Unplugging the modem,Cisco dpc3010 , does nothing. Does that indicate a problem with the router?
Pre-Reset
Cox Speed Check:
11.37Mps/6.45
Ping: 26ms

Modem status:
Channel 1: -0.9 dBmV 40.0 dB
Channel 2: -1.5 dBmV 40.0 dB
Channel 3: -0.8 dBmV 37.5 dB
Channel 4: -1.8 dBmV 40.0 dB
Channel 1: 41.5 dBmV

After Reset
Cox Speed Check
36.13/6.24
Ping: 24ms

Modem status:
Channel 1: -1.2 dBmV 40.1 dB
Channel 2: -1.6 dBmV 40.0 dB
Channel 3: -1.1 dBmV 39.7 dB
Channel 4: -2.0 dBmV 39.5 dB
Channel 1: 41.5 dBmV

Nothing in that jumps out at me as vastly different so not sure why I have to reset the router so much. Any ideas/opinions?

Thanks

glassheads

Gainesville, FL

3 edits

The signal levels look good.

At least 11mbps is usable,i am still getting crappy 2-3 mbps at nights.Cox tech had a look and everything looks fine in terms of signal and line. Its been a frustrating month for me, at times tethering to my phone to get things done. At this point i think its Nodes getting pummeled at night when everyone starts using at the same time. I don't know if they will ever get to fix this.

Considering switching to AT&T DSL, at least i can pay a bit less for crappy speeds.Can't be worse than this