Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Portable Generator question

I've done electrical work on this building before and the licensed electrician that wired this building did not follow codes. I always follow code when doing wiring and I have corrected sloppy work that the electrician did.

One of the things that he did that was a no-no is putting two wires on a screw terminal and putting more than one device on a single wire (stripping the wire in the middle and wrapping it around the screw terminal). The code enforcement in this city is very lax and I am surprised that they signed off when this building was built. Other projects I have done are lighting upgrades in the basement (went from standard lightbulb sockets to 4 ft T12 fluorescent lights that are hardwired). There must be something very wrong with the certification of electricians here when a non-electrician tenant follows codes more than a licensed electrician. The former landlord (before the building was sold) also did electrical work as well.

The enforcement of building codes in this jurisdiction is spotty at best. They cannot even keep up with buildings that are infested with rats/mice/roaches and buildings that are structurally unsound. The local building department is running on a skeleton crew because of severe budget cuts.

I do not want to turn this into a political discussion (as this is not the appropriate forum) but liability judgements can be rendered null and void in a bankruptcy filing if the defendant is unable/does not have the assets or resources to pay.

As for the work I've done myself, it was done correctly and in a workman like manner.

The transfer switch I may install has an instructional DVD and I have familliarized myself with the instructions. I should get some credit for my desire to install a generator correctly. Many times, tenants and homeowners alike will use what is called a so-called "suicide cord" (a cord with a male plug on each end) and they will plug one end of the cord into the generator and the other into an exterior or garage wall socket and backfeed it into the house wiring without isolating the house from the grid. This is very dangerous to the occupants of the building, can damage the generator, can burn the house down, and injure/kill utility workers when the current backfeed a through a transformer and becomes lethal current. I have read many horror stories about improperly installed generators. Not to mention the electrocution hazard to the occupants of the building. This is why the only way to install a generator is with a transfer switch.

I would also consider replacing some of the breakers with AFCI breakers but I think breakers for this panel may no longer be available. If the panel goes bad, I would be out of luck because replacing a panel is a little outside my comfort zone as I would have to handle the live incoming wires. If I go forward with the transfer switch install, I would turn off the main breaker and use a work light that I would plug into the generator (via an extension cord of course). Another mistake people make is running generators indoors. During the October snowstorm last year, a family was almost killed when they were dumb enough to run a generator in the basement. One thing I see electricians do that does not play well in my book is handling live wires. I ALWAYS cut power before working on wiring.

As for the landlord, the keyword is absentee. When something breaks, I am the one who ends up fixing it (whether it be a plumbing or electrical fixture). But she has no problem collecting the rent each month. If it was not for my vast knowledge of home improvement/repair, this place would fall to the ground.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
said by IowaCowboy:

As for the landlord, the keyword is absentee. When something breaks, I am the one who ends up fixing it (whether it be a plumbing or electrical fixture). But she has no problem collecting the rent each month. If it was not for my vast knowledge of home improvement/repair, this place would fall to the ground.

Do you have an agreement with your landlord to bill her or offset the monthly rent in exchange for these improvements/repairs? I'm curious about this process when the tenant does the repairs themselves, without a receipt or bill from a "professional" to document the expenses.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by pike:

said by IowaCowboy:

Do you have an agreement with your landlord to bill her or offset the monthly rent in exchange for these improvements/repairs? I'm curious about this process when the tenant does the repairs themselves, without a receipt or bill from a "professional" to document the expenses.

We're on a verbal month to month agreement and we pay the rent on time each month. We do get a discount for lawn care/snow and ice removal. Other than that we don't hear from her, she never stop by, or inspects the house. We did hear from her husband a couple of weeks ago about a high water bill. Our less than wholesome neighbors (who I know are stealing cable TV, have out of control children, and his wife works while he does nothing, and they deserve to have their kids taken by CPS) have a kiddie pool that they kept draining and refilling. I think the landlord is starting to view them as problem tenants and he mentioned that they are trying to work out an issue with the landlord (I suspect they are behind on rent yet they have a late model SUV).

The landlord is not the best in screening tenants, the last tenants were rude and snotty but they minded their own business but did have loud parties at 2AM but did not have bad children (that would be better off in the foster care system) or keep asking to borrow my tools and other stuff that I PAID FOR WITH MY OWN MONEY!!! I have thought of buying a stepladder but it would end up in his garage. He and his kids have already ruined our picnic table.

If they were my tenants, I would serve them the 30-day notice to vacate the premises, or in better words; I would evict them before one of their reckless children ends up torching the joint. I would also keep their security deposit over the wasteful water usage (filling a kiddie pool without landlord permission as the landlord in Mass have to pay water) not to mention the damage their kids are doing.

Other than that, I mail my rent check on or close to the third of each month, which is when I get paid. She is pretty quick to cash the check. I take good care of our unit.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).