The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

2 recommendations

Inssomniak to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc

Re: Incompetent technician cut off my Internet!

This thread is hilarious.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, anyone relying on Internet for income should always have 2 sources on 2 different physical mediums regardless if it's at a house or business (or apartment). I have 3 myself.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18

Angelo

Premium Member

at our place we have 3 lines also as our wifi is going up soon
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

But who's going to pay for it? My DSL payment went through just a week before this incident. I'm still at the beginning of my billing cycle! And I'd still have to buy the modem for the cable service, plus the installation fees and the first month!

I already lost $60 on that "free" 16/1 upgrade promotion last February due to non converging billing cycles and fraudulent connection fees. Now I have to go through all of that again at two to three times the cost?

As I've said before, if Vidéotron can give me a reasonable deal that eliminates all of the initial fees, I'm in! It'll help minimize my losses.

And if that doesn't work out, I just might have to give up Internet service at home until I move out in the spring (not certain yet).

Why not speak with someone in management at TSI.. perhaps they can cut you a deal on the install or something to get you to cable.. OR simply put the DSL payment towards cable as you shouldn't be paying for days you are down.

I feel your pain, but if Bell has a history of cutting lines, I would be flipping to cable without second thought, as there is always costs involved no matter who you use.
koreyb

koreyb to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Not to get into a pissing match - I started in I&R 15 years ago, and have installed/tested 100's, if not 1000's of DSL and dry loop lines... Some do respond to the #'s I posted, some have unbreakable dial tone; some have no tone at all... Depends on the OE and provisioning...

Anyways, we're getting off the OP's topic... LOL

My point was it's not constant and there doesn't seem to be a standard setup for dry loops, nor is there any legal requirement to provide 911. On this forum, it's been said its fact, when in fact it's clearly not.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Inssomniak

Premium Member

to Inssomniak
said by Inssomniak:

This thread is hilarious.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, anyone relying on Internet for income should always have 2 sources on 2 different physical mediums regardless if it's at a house or business (or apartment). I have 3 myself.

+1. If your livelihood depends on internet service to make a living...ALWAYS have a backup...Hell, a company I worked for back in 2000 had their almighty T1 and the super duper 128k ISDN line because my boss the IT manager said "You know it may cost us extra money, but I don't want to incur the wrath of the CEO if he can't get his email...." I believe the ISDN line was about $200/month if memory serves me correctly where we had a Burstable T1 that cost about $800 or so a month, maybe $1k...anywho...

Sometimes its that "indirect cost" that makes it worth it in situations like this....nothing is infoulable....we are human and are therefore prone to error...

Would it suck for me if Bell came and actively killed my service? Sure, would that mean I couldn't check my work email and schedules and stuff? Sure...but I pay $53/month taxes included...which is about $1.70/day...

If I wanted redundancy, I'd pay the extra $53/month for a second service in my apartment...ultimately though its up to the OP to decide....and again TSI would be happy to credit you or adjust the billing date as they did in my case once the service is up and running....so again, its up to you.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to Inssomniak

to Inssomniak
said by Inssomniak:

I have other sources such as the two lines at my office, and the connection at my main client's premises.

Let me repeat the main problem here. The line was DISCONNECTED! This was NOT a case of equipment breakdown. Even the Bell tech this morning confirmed the problem was NOT with my own equipment and wiring. It was entirely on their side.

If this were an equipment breakdown, I could understand that. It happens to my own gear sometimes. But when a company DEPRIVES me of a service I've paid for in advance either through malice or incompetence, and nothing is done to properly expedite the issue, I get extremely angry.

Unfortunately, the dirty line got worse. I arrive home to find the modem lost sync once again. So this morning's visit has been A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME. Four hours I've could have billed to my clients, now gone.

TekSavvy, you're on thin ice here! And I'm ready to bring out an axe!

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

You do keep using the words, malice, deprived, malicious, incompetence, but at the end of the day, it was an accident, no one is really out to get you. Oh and deprivation of internet never killed anyone. You are just unlucky. You can get a credit for the downtime.

My 4 years young central air conditioner broke on Friday, now, if you want to talk about torture beyond hell itself, and deprivation of sleep beyond functionality, compounded by 2 young girls and a wife. That my friend is far worse than no internet!!!

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

It's called an incident. An accident implies there's no one to blame.

(Hot Fuzz )

Two young girls and a wife?

You're gonna have fun when they become teenagers! LOL!

Just gave TSI an ultimatum. Switch me over to cable at their expense including the modem purchase, or refund the entire month and cancel my account. And that doesn't include the fines, lost revenues, and costs that I'll be demanding from both companies once I've worked out all of the numbers.

There's still room to reach a out-of-court settlement here though. I'm not that greedy. But it'll require both companies to recognize and acknowledge publicly their current and past mistakes, not only towards me with this incident, but also to everyone else who's had their lines cut for no valid or justifiable reason.

Stay tuned!
milnoc

milnoc

Someone must have been paying attention to my frequent rants. The connection just came back up. It's maxing out at 13 Mbps from my computer instead of 16 Mbps, but that's the same as before the break, and it's to be expected since I'm using Wi-Fi instead of a wired connection to my router.

I'm still not certain of the connection's reliability though. We'll see what happens during the following days. I still might switch to cable if the problems persist, especially the problems dealing with Bell staff.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to milnoc

MVM

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

That's what the last technician did searching for a clean line when my service was upgraded from 5/800 to 16/1.

That sounds like a band 1 dry loop, so you'd probably be paying before tax $53.24 for 300GB or $67.24 for unlimited. Or if you have MLPPP, $57.24 or $71.24

Have you considered cable? For equivalent speeds (15 down, 1.5 up), it is cheaper in all cases. $50.95 for 300GB, or $57.95 for unlimited. No MLPPP required (since Videotron never throttled). The big price difference on unlimited is because Videotron UBB is much cheaper than Bell.

TBH I'd switch in an instant if I could just get decent upstream on cable...
Bhruic
join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON

Bhruic to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

It's called an incident. An accident implies there's no one to blame.

Well, no, when there's a car "accident", someone is usually still to blame. Accident implies there was no intent. Which is likely the case here, unless the tech purposefully set out to disconnect your line, which seems unlikely.
Expand your moderator at work

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc to Bhruic

to Bhruic

Watch the movie "Hot Fuzz." You'll understand the quote.

And it actually makes sense.
said by Guspaz:

Have you considered cable?

I'll be moving out of the province very soon. The savings won't cover the initial setup costs for the time I'll be living in my old place before the move (within the next two years).

PlatooN
join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON

PlatooN to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

As a result of this, I have no other choice but to seek financial compensation above the current monthly Internet costs. Starting tomorrow, both TekSavvy and Bell Canada will be fined $100 EACH per FULL day that I'm without Internet service, up to a maximum of $7,000, the maximum amount that can be claimed in Quebec Small Claims Court.

ROFL good luck with that.
ragingwolf
join:2003-04-22
Nepean, ON

ragingwolf

I've heard of some crazy lawsuits in the US, but filing a lawsuit against an ISP? lol

Maybe you should read over that service agreement provided by Bell or Teksavvy. They make NO guarantee of service, it is "best effort" only for residential. Unless you had a written contract clearly stating an uptime guarantee, the judge will throw this out before you even have a chance to speak.

EdT
join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

EdT to milnoc

to milnoc

Re: Incompetent technician cut off my Internet! (resolved?)

I like the OP's point of view, "someone has to be responsible" especially if it is service paid in advance in this age of common denomination !

I had a similar issue with Bhell several years back, I fired a nasty letter the President of BCE and the board of directors, man did he phone me back fast, imagine this the CEO of BHell calls me the next morning to apologize and offer a year free internet service !

datguy11
@verizon.net

datguy11

Anon

THis reminds me of the lawsuit some fancy NYC high end law firm filed against Verizon and AT&T a few years ago.

Basically they used AT&T service over Verizon lines and were not happy with the frequent service disruptions and things like that.

So they sued Verizon b/c Verizon owned the actual lines.

Sounds just like this story.

Well, in the end, after spending tens of thousands of dollars THEY LOST. The judge ruled against them. The fancy law firm couldnt sue Verizon, they had NO LEGAL STANDING to enforce any agreement between VErizon and AT&T.

Judge basically said only AT&T could sue Verizon. You cant sue as a third party in these types of service cases.

So buddy, if a fancy million dollar NEW YORK CITY law firm with all in house lawyers couldnt win for their own service disruptions what makes you think you can???

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

I'm crazy!

Didn't expect that kind of an answer, did ya?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to datguy11

Premium Member

to datguy11
said by datguy11 :

if a fancy million dollar NEW YORK CITY law firm with all in house lawyers couldnt win for their own service disruptions what makes you think you can???

"Aaach. We don't have to beat them, just fight them." -Malcolm Wallace, Braveheart

The alternative is standing around doing nothing, grazing, waiting to be sheered.

You'd be shocked at how many suits have been settled in favour of a plaintiff that didn't have a leg to stand on.

Mike
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to xbell

to xbell

said by xbell :

said by milnoc:

An incompetent Bell technician....

Gonna have to stop you right there. These clowns are not Bell technicians but employees of Bell's contractor Bell Technical Solutions. Bell dresses them up to look like Bell but they are not and it is an insult to all the actual Bell technicians to be lumped in with these incompetent monkeys.

I see this shit all the time from them. Dry loops should have dial tone on it as all Bell's do with anac capability. I haven't worked on a TSI dry loop lately but they should have dial tone as well. If not they are just asking for trouble with the BTS jerk-offs working near or on their circuits.

Rant over.

gonna have to Stop You right there, The BTS jerkoffs do 3 times the work for 1/3rd the wage the bell techs do, And BTS is owned by bell so its hardly a Subcontractor.

Rant Off

llort
@rogers.com

llort to milnoc

Anon

to milnoc

Re: Incompetent technician cut off my Internet! (resolved?)

You don't have any proof that Bell disconnected your line and you are just going by the assumption that they took you out of service. You will get laughed out of court. Realistically however you may get something knocked off your next bill.
llort

llort to morisato

Anon

to morisato

Couldn't agree with you more, BTS is owned by Bell so it is not a subcontractor that people would like to think they are. They have many ex Bell technicians working for them so the poster who said they are all jerkoffs is essentially putting both sets of technicians down.